News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 584     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Also, the Q4 totals seem a bit low considering Kingston is coming online during Q4.

It'll be 3 days per completion; it likely still takes several weeks to build a single car from start to finish.

Those first few out of Kingston will be pretty slow as there is a bit of a learning curve (TTC customizations, jigs that don't quite fit, etc) and they'll be starting from an empty shop floor where Thunderbay will have 6+ in various stages of completion at any given time.

I doubt we'll see more than 2 or 3 out of Kingston this year; next year they'll be expected to kick out a bunch.

Last edited:
4485 now tracking

Looks like 4484 will see service before 4483 now.

As for cars coming off the production line, its like anything being built. Once the first X hits the production line, it will take X time to be fully built and will be follow by the next X at X individual time between them. One only has to look to the car industry to see a car coming off the line every few minutes to be driven to the loading yard. Those drivers are pickup as a group and brought back to the production end to drive the next car off the line on a repeat daily base. Everything hinges on parts being on hand and no problems along the line.

Here we go: https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1014332552797130752?s=21
(First 67 Flexities to go to La Pocatiere between now and 2022 to rectify welding defects)

Was 4401’s trip to La Pocatiere related to this, I wonder? Fix the welds then do the upgrade to production-spec?
It was likely to get La Poc tooled up properly to spec. (It should be noted that after the first 67 the plant in Sahagun, Mexico no longer makes anything for the Flexities with most frames being made in La Poc or Vienna). Since deliveries are starting to come at a pretty fast pace they can afford to send one per week to La Poc while there are more without problems to replace them.

not an uncommon issue. think of all the voluntary recalls automobiles go through on a regular basis. You don't hear about all of them (media only talks about the serious ones). Until you get a letter in the mail from a local dealer.
@jordanmkasla2009 , true. But my car has one segment. 67 vehicles for 19 weeks each is a total of 1273 weeks. Or 24.5 years of missing vehicle time. That is an incredibly huge amount of time.

I really hope the TTC can sue the living lights out of Bombardier. This is just asinine at this point.
This isn't something you can sue over. It is warrantied service and Bombardier has carried out in full it's legal obligations to alert the customer of discovered defects and devised a plan of action to remedy the defects.

It was likely to get La Poc tooled up properly to spec. (It should be noted that after the first 67 the plant in Sahagun, Mexico no longer makes anything for the Flexities with most frames being made in La Poc or Vienna). Since deliveries are starting to come at a pretty fast pace they can afford to send one per week to La Poc while there are more without problems to replace them.
once back are they going to have to go through 600km testing again? One would think so. That’s 40,000km of vehicle running and operator time if so. On the other hand, TTC have known since October and still entertaining the idea of exercising the options which may give a sense of how desperate BBD are to make a deal.

I really hope the TTC can sue the living lights out of Bombardier. This is just asinine at this point.
Why would you sue someone for acknowledging a fault and correcting it? You sue someone when they deny or hide a fault, and then stick you with the bill to correct it. The opposite has happened here.

Of course, you may not like what has happened. But that does not create the conditions for suing someone.

Back