News   Apr 24, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 703     1 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

What are the chances of Edmonton actually hosting the games? Given our 'third tier' status as country in the bid, I can't see us having more than three cities - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
And Commonwealth Stadium is already FIFA certified, though they’d need to install grass.

Just use this as a catalyst for much needed upgrades to BMO field. It’s a perfectly serviceable stadium for the World Cup and the site is well suited for the kind of security isolation world events demand. We will not be hosting major games anyway. Probably just group stage games in the expanded and watered down format. Canada is a great host nation though because the games here will sell out no matter who is playing. The important games will go to Mexico and the US where there is great exposure but I feel ironically lesser games would be more likely to see empty seats.

Yes, upgrade BMO Field. Give us another terrace in the south...fill in the north and the corners.....and subsidise the beers after upgrading them from bullshit Budweiser...at minimum back to Carlsberg.

2026 world cup bid book was released, here is where to find the Toronto stuff:

General information - 88
BMO Field - 201 (proposed at 45,500).
Accomadation - 295
Airports - 321
Transportation - 373 (Includes RER mention)
Host city fan services - 420.

http://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/united-2026-bid-book.pdf?cloudid=w3yjeu7dadt5erw26wmu

It's unfortunate that Toronto won't host anything past the Round of 16. This is likely a consequence of Toronto having the lowest capacity stadium of all the host cities.

Also, why Edmonton over Calgary?

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that Toronto won't host anything past the Round of 16. This is likely a consequence of Toronto having the lowest capacity stadium of all the host cities.

Also, why Edmonton over Calgary?
No Canadian or Mexican city gets playoffs. That’s the deal.

Commonwealth stadium is huge and fifa rated.

Come onan! The mafia needs to get paid to re-build the stadium that they fucked up in the first place!

If by "rebuild" you mean demolish and rebuild......I'm surprised it was included. That place is a joke. I couldn't believe my eyeholes the last time I was there for a match.

The turf! The bloody turf there! They're going to put down shitty rolldown grass for the tourney? It's a joke.

Forget the mafia, they're busy rebuilding all those bridges in MTL. No Olympic Stadium.

If by "rebuild" you mean demolish and rebuild......I'm surprised it was included. That place is a joke. I couldn't believe my eyeholes the last time I was there for a match.

The turf! The bloody turf there! They're going to put down shitty rolldown grass for the tourney? It's a joke.

Forget the mafia, they're busy rebuilding all those bridges in MTL. No Olympic Stadium.
Busy? The mafia will find a way! Don't you worry about that. Especially if we give them the once in a lifetime opportunity to demolish it, rebuild it and then spend the next 25 years getting paid to repair it!

As a serious football fan (the only professional sport I watch) I'm not even stoked.

We get some group stage matches and best of luck getting tickets. At least when it's far away I don't have to pretend I'm going to get to a match I actually want to see.

Also, @TrickyRicky, ease up. We may still have to qualify. As far as I know the procedure hasn't been made clear yet.

Back