News   Apr 17, 2024
 220     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Joe Mihevc is running again :rolleyes:

How many old and tired Councillors are seeking re-election? We need fresh faces!

Will you also complain about Norm Kelly or Frank Di Giorgio, who have been in municipal office even longer and have also signed their nomination papers? Or are you just here to troll?

Despite the record of many long-serving councillors (Kelly, Nunziata, Di Giorgio, Mammoliti, Shiner) I don't necessarily support term limits. A good councillor with local support shouldn't be forced out after two terms. But I support measures to reduce the advantages incumbents have. Ranked ballots would be a great start.

Will you also complain about Norm Kelly or Frank Di Giorgio, who have been in municipal office even longer and have also signed their nomination papers? Or are you just here to troll?

Despite the record of many long-serving councillors (Kelly, Nunziata, Di Giorgio, Mammoliti, Shiner) I don't necessarily support term limits. A good councillor with local support shouldn't be forced out after two terms. But I support measures to reduce the advantages incumbents have. Ranked ballots would be a great start.
I could not agree more! Some long-term Councillors (Pam McConnell was a great example) knew their way around the bureaucracy and were very skillful at working for their constituents and keeping an eye on Staff. The problem is NOT the length of service but on how well they perform and having limits (ago, length etc) is wrong. Bringing in ranked ballots or some way to avoid a Councillor being elected by well under 50% of those who vote is what we need but I suspect that will never occur unless the Province imposes it.

If will be interesting to see how many (if any) new councillors in October are political newbies e.g. have never held political office before. All the likely newcomers will have held office at the school trustee, Queen's Park or Ottawa level.

If will be interesting to see how many (if any) new councillors in October are political newbies e.g. have never held political office before. All the likely newcomers will have held office at the school trustee, Queen's Park or Ottawa level.
Dan Fox has registered to run against David Shiner again. As far as I know Fox has not held a political office before, and has no family connections to any other politicians.

Latest rumour in current Ward 28 - which will be split into Wards 21 and 23 - is that Lucy Troisi (who promised not to run 'in any Ward' when she was appointed last fall to replace Pam McConnell) has now decided to run in new Ward 23 - opposing George Smitherman).

I hope Milczyn runs for his old municipal seat and gets rid of that mafioso. He was an excellent councillor but too much of a back bencher to truly help out provincially.

Libs are tracking distant third in Etobicoke Lakeshore - Milczyn's time as an MPP is rapidly coming to a close.

I'm not going to cry for the Liberals and their candidates. They didn't do enough over the last 4 years to distance themselves from the McGuinty era.

They needed to be squeaky clean, and they weren't.

They also needed to make tangible infrastructure investments or programs that bettered peoples lives. Most people haven't noticed any.

I'm not going to cry for the Liberals and their candidates. They didn't do enough over the last 4 years to distance themselves from the McGuinty era.

They also needed to make tangible infrastructure investments or programs that bettered peoples lives. Most people haven't noticed any.
That's really what it's come down to. 15 years of Liberal governments.. Results? At least from the tangible perspective of transit, I don't see any (where I live).

Would it have mattered what the various MPPs did over the 4 years in the eyes of the public so long as Kathleen Wynne refused to resign as leader?

Would it have mattered what the various MPPs did over the 4 years in the eyes of the public so long as Kathleen Wynne refused to resign as leader?

Did any of the other MPPs stand out? Hydro is a mess, Healthcare is a mess, Del Duca was a joke and the Kirby Go Station should be criminal.

Did they have any stand out performing cabinet ministers?

Back