Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

Selby_1.jpg

Attachments

• Selby_1.jpg
    Selby_1.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 742
I filled out the registration form but haven't received any returns other than the initial confirmation. I'm not really excited about living on Sherbourne and I think this will be way too expensive for me.

I filled out the registration form but haven't received any returns other than the initial confirmation. I'm not really excited about living on Sherbourne and I think this will be way too expensive for me.

Won't be hearing this in the near future. Area is changing rapidly.

I'm not really excited about living on Sherbourne and I think this will be way too expensive for me.

About 10 years ago I lived in both 565 and 545 Sherbourne and it's fine. In fact, on average, I currently see worse at Yonge/Carlton where I live now than I did when I lived on that part of Sherbourne.

I'm not saying it's horrible but it's not on my top 10 neighbourhoods to live in the city list either. More than safety, it's just that lackluster street animation in this area that I find uninspiring. Not as bad as waterfront/gardiner adjacent condo neighbourhoods, but still.

The potential is deffinitely there. Subway station is right there, Yorkville 10 min walk. Danforth 10 min walk, Rosedale just up the street. Bunch of projects either built or underway. New Freshco going in with a few other stores just north of Wellesley. St Jamestown cleanup proposal has been unveiled as well. The area is getting cleaned up pretty quickly and once it does it will be more of a destination than an area to turn one's nose up at. The question is how long will it take and whether you want to sit through it.

The transit on Sherbourne St is terrible though. Not sure what they will do to fix it. 1 lane street that has a considerable amount of traffic. Wellesley is the same way.

Like I said, I don't hate it as much so I don't want to split hairs but: Danforth is a 25 minute walk away, not 10. Also, how's Rosedale an amenity? Lastly, St Jamestown won't just clean up with all that tower renewal fluff. Toronto somehow thinks you can squeeze in more towers and magically revitalize a struggling tower in the park neighbourhood. No.

About 10 years ago I lived in both 565 and 545 Sherbourne and it's fine. In fact, on average, I currently see worse at Yonge/Carlton where I live now than I did when I lived on that part of Sherbourne.
I completely agree. I used to live at Yonge and College (for 9 years) and now live at James Cooper Mansion. I feel far safer in the Bloor and Sherbourne area, there seem to be more and more sketchy characters at Yonge/College and Yonge/Wellesley lately. I’ve been bothered many times over there, attempted robbed once, and no one has ever hassled me in the Bloor and Sherbourne area. I’ve lived here for 3.5 years and I feel this area is the best kept secret given its close proximity to the Sherbourne subway and 10 min walking distance to Yonge/Bloor and siginificantly cheaper real estate prices. There is a certain peaceful atmosphere on the side streets like Linden, Huntley, Earl, with the old houses and trees, which is kind of peaceful, quiet and quaint as well. I’m curious to see what becomes of Howard street in the next few years.

Last edited:
From far. And near...

Selby-1.jpg

Panels up to the roofline...

Selby-2.jpg

Selby-3.jpg

Selby-4.jpg

Selby-5.jpg

Great tuckpointing...

Selby-6.jpg

Selby-7.jpg

Attachments

• Selby-1.jpg
    Selby-1.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 615
  • Selby-2.jpg
    Selby-2.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 610
  • Selby-3.jpg
    Selby-3.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 877
  • Selby-4.jpg
    Selby-4.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 621
  • Selby-5.jpg
    Selby-5.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 638
  • Selby-6.jpg
    Selby-6.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 632
  • Selby-7.jpg
    Selby-7.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 619
A huge shout-out to Andrew Joyner of Tricon for this morning's tour.

Riding the cage to the 50th.

Selby-8.jpg

Penthouse suite sweet views...

Selby-9.jpg

Selby-10.jpg

4 elevator shafts up to this level...

Selby-12.jpg

Restoration work continues on the main and basement levels of the original hotel...to be used for 'fancy' Grab and Go eatery once complete, plus cocktail lounge / Speakeasy in the basement.

Selby-13.jpg

Selby-14.jpg

Selby-15.jpg

Selby-16.jpg

Res Precast, up in Barrie, produced their largest order to date: 2700 panels for the Selby. In celebration they included a bottle of bubbly as a momento. :)

Selby-17.jpg

Selby-19.jpg

Attachments

• Selby-8.jpg
    Selby-8.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 627
  • Selby-9.jpg
    Selby-9.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 711
  • Selby-10.jpg
    Selby-10.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 623