Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

What is it that is so difficult for this city to keep fountains operating? This one is brand new even so surely it should be designed well.

What is it that is so difficult for this city to keep fountains operating? This one is brand new even so surely it should be designed well.

While the City *does* have an issue keeping fountains working, the issue here isn't that it isn't working or isn't designed well. The City is always slow to turn on its fountains in the spring because, IIRC, they have one guy (or one team of guys), who go around and test and then turn on each fountain. Apparently, it takes them awhile to do this, and to get through the list. This was reported either in a thread here, or in the Fixer column in the Toronto Star ... I can't remember. It's a cockamamie system, with the least amount of flexibility possible, but it is what it is.

Anyway, that's my recollection. If I have it wrong, someone here will know the more accurate facts.

While the City *does* have an issue keeping fountains working, the issue here isn't that it isn't working or isn't designed well. The City is always slow to turn on its fountains in the spring because, IIRC, they have one guy (or one team of guys), who go around and test and then turn on each fountain. Apparently, it takes them awhile to do this, and to get through the list. This was reported either in a thread here, or in the Fixer column in the Toronto Star ... I can't remember. It's a cockamamie system, with the least amount of flexibility possible, but it is what it is.

Anyway, that's my recollection. If I have it wrong, someone here will know the more accurate facts.

The reflecting pool at NPS has just been filled, and the spray fountains by City Hall are now on. The city must be going through the list as we write, one at a time.

With our climate I'm not surprised. Fountains here are a high cost- high maintenance issue...but we al love them. Meanwhile I had a feeling that the lawn was not going to do work here , pedestrian activities, lots of dogs, skateboarders, etc. Urban parks have to be designed to be durable. vandal proof, low maintenance, well lit 24 hour places.

Since the beginning of May I have regularly passed disappointed tourists looking at the non-functioning fountain. It's a shame they can't get it working in time for the start of tourist season.
why was it build if no use of it? get rid of..

I think some of you need to relax. It works and will be back on soon. And it will be as popular this year as it was last year. Patience.

It's a cockamamie system, with the least amount of flexibility possible, but it is what it is.

Now wait a minute, as someone very familiar w/government processes, especially the City's I can sometimes be their defender here.

But that statement is far too defeatist.

Putting aside for one moment that the city could devote more resources to this, or begin worker sooner in the spring season etc.

This is a new fountain, which means, they could have, and they should have, spec'ed a remote sensor system for turning the water on/off.

Leaks be detected by pressure sensors as well as ground saturation monitors near the pipes.

Anything else that could go wrong could be seen by positioning high resolution cameras on two sides of the fountain.

Technology is amazing, if you make proper use of it.

May I add, you can choose to run fountains extended season in cold climates by insulating the pipes and gently heating the fountain bowl.

Not recommended for -20, but could be used to extend the active season such that the fountain ran early April to late November. You could even go year round, but then you would definitely need
to heat the surrounding pavement to avoid an ice field.

https://nypost.com/2006/01/12/year-round-fountains-at-wtc/

We should never accept or defend mediocrity.

There are certainly higher priorities than retrofitting old fountains w/this kind of tech; or putting it in every fountain.

But in a few signature locations, completely appropriate when its a new build or when a heavy overhaul is being done.

Speaking of settling for mediocrity, as part of the Queen's Park North revitalization, the City won't be bothered restoring the fountain to working order or replacing it with something
befitting a signature downtown park across from the legislature. Sigh.

[...] the city could devote more resources to this, or begin worker sooner in the spring season etc. [...]

[...] This is a new fountain, which means, they could have, and they should have, spec'ed a remote sensor system for turning the water on/off. [...]

[...] you can choose to run fountains extended season in cold climates by insulating the pipes and gently heating the fountain bowl. [...]

[...] We should never accept or defend mediocrity. [...]

Yes! Yes! Yes! and Yes!

Back