News   Apr 18, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This leaves Ward 21 (Moss Park, St. Lawrence, Distillery) as the one new downtown riding with no real 'star' candidate.

I wonder if Suze Morrison, the local NDP candidate, could pull a 'Cressy' and following her likely loss, run for the municipal seat instead?

I suspect that some local MPPs who lose next month - maybe Yvan Baker, Peter Milcyzn or Arthur Potts - could run in October.

Last edited:
This leaves Ward 21 (Moss Park, St. Lawrence, Distillery) as the one new downtown riding with no real 'star' candidate.

Suzanne Kavanaugh is running in 21. While she might not have a high profile outside that part of downtown, she headed the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association and is well known in the area. I'm told she's the candidate to beat, but I am not a resident of that ward so couldn't tell you if that's true or not.

Michael Thompson has registered to run for another term. Looks like he will be my councillor for another four years.

Michael Thompson has registered to run for another term. Looks like he will be my councillor for another four years.
I feel like even if Thompson isn't the most inspiring councilor, he does do a lot of work on behalf of the city in terms of economic development and financial oversight. I've seen his name a lot in the news whenever someone is representing Toronto on some economic forum or business conferences.

I wouldn't mind keeping him around just for the institutional knowledge and (inter-)national connections gained over the years.

He just needs to change his Twitter name, since it still references Ward 37.

Technically, the ward numbers don't change until the new council takes office on December 1, 2018. A Councillor would continue to represent his old ward number until then, although they could be the "Councillor for Ward x" and "Candidate for Ward y" at the same time, just to confuse everyone.

Anyone know who has the advantage in the Palacio vs. Bailao race? With the redrawing, Palacio has more of his old ward than Bailao.

Jennifer Arp, current TDSB trustee, has joined the race to take on Councillor Carmichael-Greb. Like 2014, there are a lot of candidates running against her, which makes me concerned that with the 'first past the post' ballot she will win in a squeaker again.

Back