News   Mar 28, 2024
 203     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 213     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 270     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

@facepalming_brooklynite said:
Also, much of the Eastern edge of High Park along Parkside Drive between Howard Park Ave and Bloor is characterized by a rather steep ravine down to Spring Creek. I doubt that tunneling is possible there. I remember a few years ago the westernmost lane of Parkside Drive was closed because part of the road had collapsed into the ravine.
There's also a very powerful aquifier under the north-east corner. Tunneling there is out of the question, albeit the aquifier is a good 50 metres or more down. It has an incredible pressure, and flow. What would have to happen is that lower than grade shelf is built along the edge of Parkside. Removal of a fair number of trees would be necessary, and few people understand, for better or worse, how High Park has already been highly mutilated. In the big scheme of things, this would only be peripheral, but an affront none-the-less, but Roncy just hasn't the room or nature to move streetcars the way needed for King to work the way it should. Ditto Broadview. The ends are very severe limitations.
Hidden Laurentian River’s East Bank, Proved to be below High Park’s Spring Road
[...]Their names are largely lost, although the creek that ran along Indian Valley Crescent & Indian Grove, was once referred to as the Indian Valley Creek by Professor of Geology; Elwood S Moore. This particular creek entered into High Park at the exact location along Parkside Drive, where sinkholes appeared in 2009. This stream is no longer shown outside the Park in maps.
upload_2018-2-18_9-57-12.png

http://www.gordperks.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/High-Parks-Hidden-Waters.pdf

Tunnelling under Parkside Dr is a wet dream...doing a below prevailing grade ledge on the western edge is quite do-able, the loss of parkland besides, but considering what High Park has already endured, the eco gain for the loss more than justifies it.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-18_9-57-12.png
    upload_2018-2-18_9-57-12.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
We're really off topic here but I'd suggest not bothering with Keele station. Push the 506 deeper into the park, go north along a Colborne Lodge alignment and loop at High Park station. Just think of the rail-fan photo ops.

Streetcars...streetcars everywhere. The first and the original (in service since Aug. 31 2014) on King at Yonge headed westbound this afternoon.

20180218_172151.jpg

Attachments

• 20180218_172151.jpg
    20180218_172151.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 299
And here is 4404 headed east at the farside stop at Yonge. Standing room only folks at 5:30 PM on Sunday.

20180218_172301.jpg

Attachments

• 20180218_172301.jpg
    20180218_172301.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 276
To add to the responses to Juan's question, this thread is also helpful in exploring whether or not there's any merit to claims made by certain business owners and politicians that the pilot is killing business. So far it seems that there's not.

Looking at the busyness of the line/route today, if we are going to keep the street substantially free of cars, then it could be time to consider a people mover on this scale. I posted two pictures earlier today. At Yonge, there were over forty people waiting to board eastbound at 5:30 on a Sunday.

This is a nine module CAF Urbos model which is 56m in length.

Last edited:
Looking at the busyness of the line/route today, if we are going to keep the street substantially free of cars, then it could be time to consider a people mover on this scale. I posted two pictures earlier today. At Yonge, there were over forty people waiting to board eastbound at 5:30 on a Sunday.

This is a nine module CAF Urbos model which is 56m in length.
As it stands, the King Project is an orphan, and as much as some will think "let's not get ahead of ourselves", a bigger vision is needed to sell this. I've taken the King car from downtown to Dundas West a number of times lately, mid to late afternoon, purely because sometimes I just can't face being a rat in the subway, and to see how much of a difference has been made on King...and I've been disappointed each time. It *crawls*! Still!

Don't get me wrong, it's an improvement, but it still has massive untapped potential to be a lower cross-town route of choice if even a *fraction* of the massive sums for say, the SSE, are spent on it.

And what is absolutely necessary for the greater vision is to look at ways to get the ends of the 'corridor' up to the subway faster, unconstrained and more effectively at either end.. Further investment in the core is necessary, obviously, but that investment must come with a vision to delivering the ridership at either end.

The present course being taken by this Mayor and Council is tinkering, not city building. Your vision for longer LRVs is apt and a good step forward. Perhaps Toronto should affect the option for more BBD Flexities by extending the present tranche instead? The load crush at peak certainly indicates that, and one longer train is able to more effectively move more people at a faster rate than two shorter ones for a number of reasons, not least being the 'pathing' factor.

Last edited:
That's what Levy wants. You to start discussion and arguments in her thread. It puts money in the Toronto Sun coffers, and protects Levy's jobs, with hits.

Don't fall for that scam. Just ignore her - everyone knows she's say anything for a reaction - or a hit.

Just ignore her - everyone knows she's say anything for a reaction - or a hit.

Oh, I understand — she'll obfuscate and insult 'til the cows come home — but I can't let her get away with manipulating her audience by distorting or withholding facts. If Sue-Ann doesn't tell her readers all the positive facts about the KSP, I will.

Last edited:
Oh, I understand — she'll obfuscate and insult 'til the views come home — but I can't let her get away with manipulating her audience by distorting or withholding facts. If Sue-Ann doesn't tell her readers all three positive facts about the KSP, I will.

They aren't capable of, or interested in, comprehending those facts.

I might be wrong, but is it possible that the businesses on the Pilot that claim to be negatively affected are actually telling the truth and the spending being "in line" with other years is because other businesses are getting more spenders? So some are losers and some are winners, but that balances it out?

Back