News   Apr 17, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 285     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DiCiano is an unmitigated crook. I'll just sit back and eat my popcorn while more salacious details are revealed, after which point his constituents will still re-elect him.

Whenever you hear words along the lines of "I don't recall" or "I don't remember" from a politician, you know that's an admission of guilt. Every time.

To be fair, it was his brother. Well, twin brother so I guuuueeeessss they can be seen as being the same person.

Whoever is responsible for recordings of parliament; with cameras and audio equipment.

Am I missing a joke?

Whoever is responsible for recordings of parliament; with cameras and audio equipment.

Am I missing a joke?
I must be missing a joke, councillors are not in parliament, News story did not state where or who made recording plus why is it coming out now 4 years later allowing Di camo to stay councillor for 4 years

I must be missing a joke, councillors are not in parliament, News story did not state where or who made recording plus why is it coming out now 4 years later allowing Di camo to stay councillor for 4 years

Yes, it seems you have. I know councillors aren't in parliament. Political dementia doesn't discriminate based on level of governance.

Anyway, I would also like to know who made this recording and how considering that both parties to the phone conversation deny the veracity of the allegations being made, and given the recording, the recording itself.

Conventional wisdom said that about Sandra Bussin in 2010. Just saying.

I think Bussin is a different case. Bussin did not have many local supporters. Although loosely affiliated with the NDP, Toronto's east end Dipper machine didn't like her and she had few friends on council. She was also notoriously poor at answering constituents' calls and attending events. The community galvanized behind a grassroots anti-Bussin candidate and she was toast. I don't feel like Etobicoke has the same civic ingredients to turf a candidate with Di Ciano's connections and money. Di Ciano forked out $20,000 of his own money for his campaign, more than any other candidate last election.

I think Bussin is a different case. Bussin did not have many local supporters. Although loosely affiliated with the NDP, Toronto's east end Dipper machine didn't like her and she had few friends on council. She was also notoriously poor at answering constituents' calls and attending events. The community galvanized behind a grassroots anti-Bussin candidate and she was toast. I don't feel like Etobicoke has the same civic ingredients to turf a candidate with Di Ciano's connections and money. Di Ciano forked out $20,000 of his own money for his campaign, more than any other candidate last election.

My point has more to do with Bussin scoring 70% of the 2006 vote with none of her opponents going above single digits. With that kind of face value, the deficiencies you list could easily, at the time, have been construed as sour grapes--the assumption being that even if constituents grumble, they'll still go for the devil they know and her apparently insurmountable machine, ho hum, nothing to see here, go to another ward...

While not confirmed by Cressy himself, I’ve been told that he’ll be running in the north part of ward 20. Ausma Malik will be running in the south part, endorsed by Cressy and Mike Layton. I know of another strong progressive candidate who will be running against her who’s not yet ready to announce. It’ll be a good race. I’m looking forward to having options this election cycle.

While not confirmed by Cressy himself, I’ve been told that he’ll be running in the north part of ward 20. Ausma Malik will be running in the south part, endorsed by Cressy and Mike Layton. I know of another strong progressive candidate who will be running against her who’s not yet ready to announce. It’ll be a good race. I’m looking forward to having options this election cycle.

Make's sense. Cressy has roots in the northern part and the U of T/Annex pockets are much more palatable for a dyed-in-wool lefty like Cressy than the King West and Waterfront corridors. Party politics are always at play with city council elections, so I'm going to guess that the progressive running against the NDP-backed Malik will have support from the Adam Vaughan/Liberal tent.

That arrangement also makes sense that Cressy lives in the northerly of those two wards and Malik in the southerly.

Plus, if you've been to a development consultation in the northern part of Cressy's ward in the last little while, you'll have heard him playing to the Annex NIMBY set, so that also makes sense.

What about a replacement/challenger for Di Ciano? Dude is either going to drop out or be particularly vulnerable to a challenge.

Back