• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
The third and final crane is going up

A84885E6-2EDC-42B5-A4F5-5E38222E91EA.jpeg

Attachments

• A84885E6-2EDC-42B5-A4F5-5E38222E91EA.jpeg
    A84885E6-2EDC-42B5-A4F5-5E38222E91EA.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 752
We received this message in an email from our 18 Yonge St building management this week.

81 Bay Street

Excavation on our 81 Bay St. property is for all purposes complete with minimal areas remaining for ramp access on Lake Shore Boulevard and on Yonge Street. With this phase nearly complete, we will be returning to normal construction hours and will not perform work after 7:00 PM. Our general contractor has begun pouring the concrete foundations for the office building and will start installing the formwork for the core of the tower shortly. Two construction tower cranes have been erected on the site and a 3rd one will be installed by the 1st week of February.

We had several inquiries regarding the lights installed on the tower cranes and why they are kept on at night . As we are moving from the excavation phase to the construction of the tower itself, there are more active trades on site, bringing with them their machinery, equipment and materials. The lights on the tower cranes are therefore required for security reasons and turn on automatically as it gets dark. Following feedback we received last week, we have asked our contractor to redirect the lights as far away from residences and as directly at the site itself as possible. Please let us know if you are affected by this and we will see if the contractor can further adjust the directions of the lights.

Rail corridor

The foundation caissons of the future park spanning over the rail corridor are nearing 50% completion. As indicated in previous construction updates, we are given limited access to the rail corridor for safety reasons and have no other choice than to do this work at night when trains are not running. Due to the recent extreme cold weather and associated machinery breakdowns, our contractor has had to cancel a few night work shifts. Despite this, we are still aiming to complete the foundation caisson work in the rail corridor by mid-February as originally estimated. We know that drilling and excavation work is noisy and that the nighttime is far from ideal to do this work. We continue to investigate ways to do this work in a shorter period of time and will whenever we can. In the meantime, we truly appreciate your patience and understanding given the situation.

3HsLNiUenTyQx6ADdWZcY82_moQv9hpxU2_VcDZQSQpxcp9Bwk3ekiuZfIkFqIT7WRAKeYwBurS7HCL_hAo7fGq1OsJ4Ciq7BW1vgLbZscY-7UONTbcRAlvxOPPhRv3hxQ3lsimhWHn2cOKfCfuGCD9s27hE2ccZ1W4zzu_Fx5bHGXtFcxmTnb_W2NgfFvXO3bRgWiJidJiotSmOsshwvLErqcAmj3DEyaRN_IoHqHUicquw-uwvpmCwD0paX1L-3Kr6qzTmAdiRNxl3ro6tf4YL7GayNr1bsDf3eYuqTcZA0GdFnO4lZqQ9K5wQp2jMrJPBxkZHVwL5-phhGbqexkPHbLPuHA2ItGt_6HWwKyuUrq4FVqEauJgKBc2X4UO2s6_bSHj1s_6NXVTncEHzlZus9wmH26dno9cvLDtTCPCzwnmxpLOQQmeUO1cSMcD_VNDonkwhrfhqxhlPECSeyQNz01lzrm0MRrqliHKa0kiIPq-eENRflOPbbGupzYNCLu93AE-JoWHo9siywzxE68kuAQDfbOvzbOBXW15ttQ5uizVIubqttm4uKBiY4A785gJlnEK59VuJVe_PG4MPZCMHu3w1NFFSXGj2szzVTTz55w=s0-d-e1-ft

They are only a tenant in this and have nothing to do with QuadReal's CC3 proposal. The latter has also been around for close to two years now so the bank would have been briefed to see if they wanted to occupy the space.

CIBC is spread out between many buildings (I know they are in the PwC building along with others). They ran out of space just like RBC did a few years ago.

1.75 million square feet of required space is a huge area. Would take up 100% of CC3. I'm guessing there was a bidding war and bcIMC lost.

All the way down and up again. I suppose most of the dramatic changes will take place over longer periods of time now. It seems like it's going to be cycles of: forming ---> rebar ---> pouring ---> repeat. I counted 58 people on site on Wednesday, that included the orange crane assembly crew, but I imagine the actual day to day crew is probably much smaller. The dump trucks are cleaning up the last remaining material that has been pulled out between 18 Yonge and the tracks. I'll let the picture tell the rest of the story.

IMG_0325.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 1,090
It's going to be super interesting seeing the floors poured for the lower levels from this view! Can't wait to see it go!

This is the most exciting project in Toronto right now for me. I love big office towers. I have a feeling it's going to be executed very well.

How long do you think it will take to set up the bottom floor with rebar etc so they can execute the big pour ?

Not so much of a big pour here - it's just a standard 6 inch deep slab on grade for the most part - unlike say One Bloor East where they poured a 7 feet deep raft slab.

Wow, through this whole boom I don't remember seeing a 3 crane project! Does anyone know what the last building that took 3 cranes to build in Toronto was? BCE place? Scotia? Richmond and bay stump?

Back