Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Weird but seems like the train always stops then restarts inside the tunnel section that leads to/exits from Sheppard West for some reason.

If you're talking about SOUTH of Sheppard West, it's where the ATC gets turned on (northbound) or where the ATC gets turned off and the operator takes full control (southbound). The trains stop momentarily both ways for the switch-over.

I guess that explains why the trains still run so slow starting at St. Clair W. Before the extension opened I thought it was because of backlogging approaching the end of the line.

I'm showing up with my gabber and speedcore.....wake people right up for their morning commute. Don't knock it, it's a lot better than "Mein Kampf in lights".

ha! Gabber is my go to joke genre too. I enjoy almost every sub-style of electronic music but that one is just too much for me.

My personal opinion regarding the artwork is that whoever decided on picking a European artist should've been aware of the cultural differences between here and Europe. One should obviously know that Europeans and the broader sense of European Culture are willing to push the boundaries of expression unlike uptight North Americans. The fact that the artist is also from Berlin also explains why they wouldn't have much problems with such controversial artwork (if you even consider this controversial).

It all boils down to: North Americans are overly political correct and too lawsuit-trigger friendly.

And yet the artist is excused from not being sensitive to the public/culture that will ultimately be exposed to the work on a daily basis? Get over yourself, a commission is a commission.

Also the Uptight North American vs. Expressive European is a silly binary argument, especially when it comes to Art. Funnily enough there was a time when they all flocked over here because people were too entrenched into their traditions back home and thought (mistakenly) we presented a blank slate.

VMC and York University = highly trafficked successes

Pioneer Village and Finch West = Just ok

Hwy 407 and Downsview Park = Omg! The GO Transit connections better come online soon or else we've got duds on our hands
Once again. Some leaping to conclusions after six days....

But taking the comments below in three groups, some thoughts thereupon.

1. Outperforms. But we don't have optimal conditions for ridership yet. A good thing can be better.
i) VMC - YRT bus terminal not finished yet.
ii) York U is on Christmas break - let's see what it looks like when everyone is back at school. Let's also take another look next September when - for example - someone living in the city can say - would I rather take the subway to UofT St George campus, or subway to Ryerson U, or subway to York U ? Now the choices are apples-to-apples. Faced with a long bus ride, I'd have gone to Ryerson or UofT any day. I'd have written York off. I always considered it in the middle of nowhere. We're all going to have to change our attitudes about this because it ain't in the middle of nowhere any longer.

2. Average.
i) Pioneer Village. Let everyone get used to this. It's a huge bus terminus. Again, school's out.
ii) Finch West. Sub-optimal conditions. Can't wait to see another interchange station on the growing network in the city. When the FWLRT is funneling riders both ways through this station, I doubt anyone will have to worry about it. Mark this - check in 2022. Argh - to the date at least.

3. Needs Improvement..
i) Hwy 407 - connections in GO's court. TBD. Could be a Jane LRT terminus. Shovels in the ground everyone.
ii) Downsview Park- GO Station open December 30. Great. Barrie AD2W coming... Remember everyone. If you thought nothing of taking the train to Union to your downtown job. Why shouldn't you be able to take the train to Downsview, go down to Cedarvale and then arrive at your midtown job? I think this opens a world of possibilities as the GO network deposits people in only (mostly if we are going to quibble about Danforth and Kipling) one location (downtown) up until now.

In March, I will have been reading the threads here for two years. Allow me one paragraph. We need to gain some rapid transit momentum here. With zero additional meaningful transit options for two generations (call that 30 years - if you grow up with it, and take it through high school the pattern is set), the car has been the only practical choice for much getting around.

The logjam has been broken - 8.6 km of subway helps. Nineteen km of Eglinton helps more. The concept of a network needs to be built out - and the populace has to see it in practice. Although there has been a subway for 60 years, there has been little more than a rudimentary hub and spoke structure. The very first meaningful network piece is Eglinton. The integration of GO to the TTC with a co-fare in 2018 is huge. As is the coming ability to access GO rail in a place other than Union station - nowithstanding Danforth and Kipling which never really registered for me. Bring on Mount Dennis and Caledonia.

I think I wrote the preceding paragraphs because on its own the Spadina subway may not be considered much by some. But linked into a much stronger rapid transit and regional rail network, all of the baloney about 'failure' and 'subway to nowhere' can probably be done away with. The focus on building out the rest of the network needs to remain strong, and the timelines need to accelerate or another generation will view the car as a (the) primary transit choice when it is but one.

Last edited:
We need to gain some rapid transit momentum here.

Agreed. Let's make the 2020s and 2030s decades we look back on with fondness like we do the 60s and 70s with respect to transit expansion.

Once again. Some leaping to conclusions after six days....

But taking the comments below in three groups, some thoughts thereupon.

1. Outperforms. But we don't have optimal conditions for ridership yet. A good thing can be better.
i) VMC - YRT bus terminal not finished yet.
ii) York U is on Christmas break - let's see what it looks like when everyone is back at school. Let's also take another look next September when - for example - someone living in the city can say - would I rather take the subway to UofT St George campus, or subway to Ryerson U, or subway to York U ? Now the choices are apples-to-apples. Faced with a long bus ride, I'd have gone to Ryerson or UofT any day. I'd have written York off. I always considered it in the middle of nowhere. We're all going to have to change our attitudes about this because it ain't in the middle of nowhere any longer.

2. Average.
i) Pioneer Village. Let everyone get used to this. It's a huge bus terminus. Again, school's out.
ii) Finch West. Sub-optimal conditions. Can't wait to see another interchange station on the growing network in the city. When the FWLRT is funneling riders both ways through this station, I doubt anyone will have to worry about it. Mark this - check in 2022. Argh - to the date at least.

3. Needs Improvement..
i) Hwy 407 - connections in GO's court. TBD. Could be a Jane LRT terminus. Shovels in the ground everyone.
ii) Downsview Park- GO Station open December 30. Great. Barrie AD2W coming... Remember everyone. If you thought nothing of taking the train to Union to your downtown job. Why shouldn't you be able to take the train to Downsview, go down to Cedarvale and then arrive at your midtown job? I think this opens a world of possibilities as the GO network deposits people in only (mostly if we are going to quibble about Danforth and Kipling) one location (downtown) up until now.

In March, I will have been reading the threads here for two years. Allow me one paragraph. We need to gain some rapid transit momentum here. With zero additional meaningful transit options for two generations (call that 30 years - if you grow up with it, and take it through high school the pattern is set), the car has been the only practical choice for much getting around.

The logjam has been broken - 8.6 km of subway helps. Nineteen km of Eglinton helps more. The concept of a network needs to be built out - and the populace has to see it in practice. Although there has been a subway for 60 years, there has been little more than a rudimentary hub and spoke structure. The very first meaningful network piece is Eglinton. The integration of GO to the TTC with a co-fare in 2018 is huge. As is the coming ability to access GO rail in a place other than Union station - nowithstanding Danforth and Kipling which never really registered for me. Bring on Mount Dennis and Caledonia.

I think I wrote the preceding paragraphs because on its own the Spadina subway may not be considered much by some. But linked into a much stronger rapid transit and regional rail network, all of the baloney about 'failure' and 'subway to nowhere' can probably be done away with. The focus on building out the rest of the network needs to remain strong, and the timelines need to accelerate or another generation will view the car as a (the) primary transit choice when it is but one.

Very good points, basically my thoughts exactly.

I'll add an anecdote to your point about York being a far more attractive destination come this September--in 2011 when I was starting my undergrad, I lived in Aurora, and I favoured Ryerson or U of T over York, because of the transit situation; while the Barrie Line had York University GO, the lack of midday trains and the shuttle bus ride made it unattractive. I ended up attending U of T and living downtown. I can say quite confidently that if Downsview Park GO had been open, with hourly AD2W service (i.e. what's starting as of the Dec 30 board period--the lack of 2:40pm-8:40 pm southbound trains would be an acceptable omission), and the $1.50 transfer, I would absolutely have chosen to remain at home and take GO+TTC to York instead. No-brainer. It's a ~30min train ride between Aurora and Downsview Park, then 2 stops on the subway...way cheaper than living downtown, or getting a car to drive to York. Also, I love Toronto, and having the ability to hop on the subway at York to get downtown reasonably quickly, then take the train back from Union instead of from Downsview Park, would have been an additional plus.

Many good points. I'm not sorry to have this system. It isn't perfect, but there is a different between pointing out the lessons learned and naysaying the whole thing. I hope we do better with the next one, but I mostly hope we get on with the next one (and two, and three).

FWIW when the topic of the new subway came up at our Christmas Dinner, the first thing that was asked from the non-transit-nerd members of the family was
"Did they put washrooms in the new stations?"
No prompting from me, honest!

- Paul

Many good points. I'm not sorry to have this system. It isn't perfect, but there is a different between pointing out the lessons learned and naysaying the whole thing. I hope we do better with the next one, but I mostly hope we get on with the next one (and two, and three).

FWIW when the topic of the new subway came up at our Christmas Dinner, the first thing that was asked from the non-transit-nerd members of the family was

- Paul
Were they disappointed when you responded with 1 in TTC non-fare-paid and 2 in regional bus terminals?

- Paul

Sorry, just the one at the new terminal station, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station.

I put the blame for lack of washrooms on our own anti-washroom crusader, I mean Councilor, at city council. See link.

Sorry, just the one at the new terminal station, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station.

I put the blame for lack of washrooms on our own anti-washroom crusader, I mean Councilor, at city council. See link.

How many times does this need to be repeated in this thread? Three of the six stations have washrooms: VMC, 407, and Pioneer Village.

How many times does this need to be repeated in this thread? Three of the six stations have washrooms: VMC, 407, and Pioneer Village.
407 is outside of TTC "PAID AREA" and therefore doesn't help anyone unless transferring to/from GO or YRT routes. Most TTC riders will never know of 407 washroom unless they see it on a TTC MAP.

If there is a washroom at Pioneer Station, I miss it. If it outside TTC "PAID AREA", same as 407.

Time to move onto something else, since this been pick clean. What about the artwork at Pioneer??

From this link:

SubwayFutureMap_lg.jpg

The stations on the TTC subway are shown with the male/female washroom pictograph. So Highway 407 does as well have washrooms.

Back