Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

My question exactly. How’d this thing go this week?

VMC and York University = highly trafficked successes

Pioneer Village and Finch West = Just ok

Hwy 407 and Downsview Park = Omg! The GO Transit connections better come online soon or else we've got duds on our hands

Since Downsview Park isn’t a destination in and of itself it’ll mainly be a transfer station but ultimately how often would it get used for that.

To transfer off of GO your destination would have to be at a station on the Spadina Line itself. Since you would get to downtown a lot faster by just staying on the GO and if you were going to somewhere on Eglinton or Bloor you’d transfer to those lines itself.

And if you’re going to Barrie most people would end up transferring to the Barrie Line from another transfer point.

Since Downsview Park isn’t a destination in and of itself it’ll mainly be a transfer station but ultimately how often would it get used for that.

To transfer off of GO your destination would have to be at a station on the Spadina Line itself. Since you would get to downtown a lot faster by just staying on the GO and if you were going to somewhere on Eglinton or Bloor you’d transfer to those lines itself.

And if you’re going to Barrie most people would end up transferring to the Barrie Line from another transfer point.
Yah I have trouble thinking how well used this transfer will be.

Any news on Downsview airport redevelopment? IIRC there was a major residential cluster proposed for that area. Could definitely boost ridership at Downsview station.

Here we go again with the TTC messing with another art installation in a station:rolleyes:. Although I understand the concern, their should be a way to remedy the concerns they're having without blocking the whole system off.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/12/22/ttc-backtracks-on-500000-station-art-installation.html

It amazes me how much the TTC is struggling with this. Dealing with profanity on public services isn’t unique to the TTC at all. Thousands, if not tens of thousands of companies have to do similar filtering on their products. In fact, I would be shocked if there wasn’t already an online database/API to assist companies in filtering out profanity and offensive content from user submissions.

It amazes me how much the TTC is struggling with this. Dealing with profanity on public services isn’t unique to the TTC at all. Thousands, if not tens of thousands of companies have to do similar filtering on their products. In fact, I would be shocked if there wasn’t already an online database/API to assist companies in filtering out profanity and offensive content from user submissions.

TTC isn't struggling with it. The artist commissioned to install it is struggling with it. TTC just has the requirement (now at least) that filtering be in place.

I suspect there's an unstated reason as well. If it breaks, who will fix it (and pay the bill)? Even if there's an agreement on that, how long will it take to fix? In the meantime, it will make the station seem dilapidated. Just look at Yorkdale station. It can't break if it's never turned on! (Not that I agree with this reasoning.)

TTC isn't struggling with it. The artist commissioned to install it is struggling with it. TTC just has the requirement (now at least) that filtering be in place.
The artist received a healthy stipend for the work and should pull his or her head from their fundament. It is an honour to contribute a creative piece into the public realm and if they are struggling that much I am certain we can find someone else with another great idea to display.

My personal opinion regarding the artwork is that whoever decided on picking a European artist should've been aware of the cultural differences between here and Europe. One should obviously know that Europeans and the broader sense of European Culture are willing to push the boundaries of expression unlike uptight North Americans. The fact that the artist is also from Berlin also explains why they wouldn't have much problems with such controversial artwork (if you even consider this controversial).

It all boils down to: North Americans are overly political correct and too lawsuit-trigger friendly.

Apparently I am in the wrong line of work. If one can make a half a million dollars from this kind of ‘artwork’....
I sympathise with the TTC though. Never mind hate speech - wait until the first time it is used to post something that takes a strong position on a controversial theme. There will be tweets, protests, pickets, perhaps even injunctions. And media attention. The TTC does not need the distraction nor should it tie up resources (or riders, in the event of a sit in etc).
This thing was just ill conceived and should be removed. The TTC doesn’t look good for having let it happen, but that is spilled milk. Just kill it.

- Paul

Weird but seems like the train always stops then restarts inside the tunnel section that leads to/exits from Sheppard West for some reason.

If the TTC wants to play it safe, they can always program the artwork to scroll through all their by-laws and be done with it. That would be the safest choice at this point.

Back