Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

The size is impressive, but I'd rather see a slimmer tower that didn't crowd CCN so much.

The style of the tower also looks haphazard.
Compare the classical symmetry of CCN and the clean sleek lines of CCW.
This one is a mess.

It would be nice if they played off the rectangular form of CCW and the setbacks of CCN
and created a modernist office tower with offsets that create more open space in the cramped plaza area.
(i.e. staggered upper storey blocks)

The tower cold also use some roof decks.
How many office towers in Toronto have roof decks?

I don't see a mess at all with the tower portion, please no to setbacks or any retro nod to CCN. The base could do with some reworking, and perhaps slimmer and/or taller might enhance the somewhat bulky appearance of the tower. Very curious as to why they chose the exact same height as FirstCan.

I agree with others. A contrived design to wow people into thinking this is better than it is.

I don't like that this is yet another rewriting of a modernist era design being the Commerce Court block. 21 Melinda and 30 Wellington are solid nondescript blocks that frame the square nicely and provide the space for the "stars" of the block to shine being Commerce Court West and South. All this does is turn a well thought out master plan into a collection of random tower with the weakest design being front and centre. It's the equivalent of the add-ons to the TD Centre over the years and within the reality of replacing the architectural mastery of the banking pavilion with a new tower.

Good points, pretty hard to put that amount of office space on this sight and be remotely faithful to the master plan. The space currently reminds me of Place Ville Marie, which is being reworked and enhanced, but you pretty much obliterate that with this massive tower.

I agree with others. A contrived design to wow people into thinking this is better than it is.

I don't like that this is yet another rewriting of a modernist era design being the Commerce Court block. 21 Melinda and 30 Wellington are solid nondescript blocks that frame the square nicely and provide the space for the "stars" of the block to shine being Commerce Court West and South. All this does is turn a well thought out master plan into a collection of random tower with the weakest design being front and centre. It's the equivalent of the add-ons to the TD Centre over the years and within the reality of replacing the architectural mastery of the banking pavilion with a new tower.
While I take your point, the original CCS and CCW deaden that entire block of Wellington. The former presents a blank wall to the street. The latter, an obtrusive parking garage entrance. The proposed design would be a lot less hostile and boring for anyone walking on that block (though I guess the garage entrance would have to stay in some form).

Would fill in this negative space.
E252E88C-F565-4072-ABEC-1C1C2BDD973B.jpeg

Attachments

• E252E88C-F565-4072-ABEC-1C1C2BDD973B.jpeg
    E252E88C-F565-4072-ABEC-1C1C2BDD973B.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 644
Honestly; "deadening" or not, I *can* see a Docomomo-ish outcry a la York Square brewing over CCE and CCS--it's the Pei firm in its 70s "neo-rationalist" phase; and in trashing these, you basically trash the entire original Commerce Court ensemble.

(And it's a presently ill-understood and hence imperiled phase of Pei...cf this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Church_of_Christ,_Scientist_(Washington,_D.C.) .)

Which one are you referring to? Off the top I can only think of Union, LCBO and york/Bremner having broken ground. That's not much compared to what's been proposed.
Both phases of CIBC Square add up to the largest Toronto office complex since the TD Centre, of which phase 1 is now under construction. Is that what you mean by 'Union'?

While I take your point, the original CCS and CCW deaden that entire block of Wellington. The former presents a blank wall to the street. The latter, an obtrusive parking garage entrance. The proposed design would be a lot less hostile and boring for anyone walking on that block (though I guess the garage entrance would have to stay in some form).

I interpret an overwrought glass atrium from the renderings. It's less hostile but not enough to rip apart a long established block by a known design firm. It's getting too much here in Toronto. Everything is up for renewal. I appreciate the business side too. East and South are less than ideal from a pro forma basis but, they are modest spaces compared to the block's overall square footage. BCIMC is doing okay with Commerce Court with the 1.5 million square foot Commerce Court West. This is less than ideal too but, still better than renewing Commerce Court . Work towards assembling 48 and 60 Yonge and squeeze a tower there. The Hotel Victoria is already screwed with this proposal.

Both phases of CIBC Square add up to the largest Toronto office complex since the TD Centre, of which phase 1 is now under construction. Is that what you mean by 'Union'?

Also have to consider how active BCIMC has been in upping their real estate portfolios.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I wonder why they are not including the spire height in the official height. That counts, as far as Emporis is concerned.

I don't mind the new tower at all, though I'm really getting tired of dull colour pallets and I do wish 'detailing' could be more original.

I cannot bring myself to lament the loss CCS or CCW.

I realize some have an appreciation for the style, such as it is.

I find the architecture of the existing to be somewhere between dull and oppressive, and whatever my hopes for a somewhat greater ambition, there is little question to me
that this proposal would be a tangible improvement.

A final thought for the moment would be that I do find it unfortunate the property and Yonge/Wellington has not been included.

I don't think anyone excepts that non-descript 'tower' to remain in the medium term, and I would have loved to see any proposal here offer a cohesive block.

My concern being that we will see the developer of the Yonge site trying to density-cram in a future proposal which will not be idea either for that site or for the CC3 to which it will relate.

Back