News   Mar 28, 2024
 93     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Mississauga Soccer Stadium (Canadian Premier League, other events)

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
While browsing for details about the upcoming Canadian Premier League, I found some really cool information pertaining to Mississauga. Evidently, a supporter's group dubbed the "Sauga City Collective" is pushing for a CPL team for the city, and their (very slick) website also included a rendering of a potential future stadium in downtown Mississauga.

sFIrtxc.jpg

Other details I've noticed/thoughts:
  • Someone tweeted that a CPL team should come to Mississauga, and Mayor Crombie tweeted back "stay tuned"
  • Steve Mahoney (who ran against Crombie) has said he would push for a Mississauga MLS team, however this is unlikely and a CPL team makes much more sense
  • I think having a venue like this in Mississauga would be great and improve the overall urban feel of MCC
  • I have no idea how serious this proposal is or if it has any legit backers
  • It would be cool to see the MLS TFC play the CPL Mississauga team for the Canadian Soccer Championship here

The only land that can support this size of stadium is Sq One Lands and Cineplex in the city core, since there is no downtown there.

Where to they plan on putting the parking other than under it??

Interestingly, on Twitter Sauga City Collective tweeted out a picture of a jersey concept with both Kaneff and Daniels logos on them (they were also tagged in the post). I wonder if those two organizations are involved somehow too.
You think gridlock is bad on Boxing Day for Sq One, this will be worse and it will be for more than one day a year.

Wouldn't be surprise if both companies are part of the organization trying to get this team. Both have deep pockets

Looking at the photo and where Absolute is, it looks like the stadium is at Rathburn and Confederation north east corner area by Cineplex.

Nice, either way a 3 tier 50.000 seat stadium ain't happening for a Canadian soccer league team

Yeah, BMO Field is about 32,000 right now, with a proposed expansion to 36,000ish. I wonder if a larger stadium is envisioned for hosting other events such as concerts, with the goal of becoming a GTA events hub. I'm not sure if that rendering is 50,000 seats (it could well be), but yes it is a large stadium considering it is intended to be used for the CPL.

In other words they stole the rendering from the NC proposal and plopped in a Mississauga background/skyline.

Sounds like a top notch operation over there.

In other words they stole the rendering from the NC proposal and plopped in a Mississauga background/skyline.

Sounds like a top notch operation over there.

It's a supporters group - nothing more

Sorry - but posting concept kit designs with 2 local companies doesn't exactly scream "corporate backing" to me

Back