News   Apr 19, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 558     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 932     3 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

From across Yonge, the slots for airflow mean that the red and black backing is totally lost. These might work from right below, but from a less acute angle? Doesn't look like they will.

View attachment 128956 View attachment 128957

This is very disturbing! You can see the metal bars holding it up. Why can't this city get signage right, it's not rocket science! It's so frustrating!

I was excited for the return of the sign, but this is awful. What a pointless waste of effort if this is the end result.

One day the city will sell off this office building, the sign will disappear, and not a single person will care.

It should look a lot better at night like it did at its original location. All the other screens & billboards in the square pop a lot more a night too.

However, what I'm also now noticing is that the spinning discs are not even centered above the first two signs that were installed on the front facade of the building :/

I should have taken a photo.
From university and Dundas the view terminus is of these signs. I was there yesterday afternoon expecting to see them after having seen some pics on here of them being mounted. I saw nothing.
At the time I thought. Oh they must have taken them down to reposition or something. All I could see was what I thought was a support structure.
Nope.
Disappointing for sure. But I bet these will still be amazing at night.

I always thought that the bottom part of the sign with the white background was a bit unnecessary in terms of preserving. It's just a cheap backlit sign. It's the spinning disks and the Sam signs above that are iconic, not the backlit part underneath. Now with the off centre placement and giant gap between them it looks just awful.

I wonder if the louvers were on a bit of a slant, would that have helped strengthen the visual continuity of the signage?

Definitely agree that it looks like a mechanical screen right now. Even a trim for the round neon portions (to make them more visible) would have helped tremendously.

They installing little bit wide screen on North side..

IMG_20171204_171643_2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That looks terrible.

Funny thing, I just went to Yonge Dundas Square and totally forgot to look up at the SAM sign. I’m sure it’ll be more noticeable once it’s lit up but it’s up way too high to become a part of the square. That was my reaction when it was first proposed but I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Now, I think it’s safe to say that on top of a 20 story building is the wrong place for the Sam The Record Man sign. It really should have gone up at the square itself. It would have made a pretty fanstastic backdrop for the stage which is itself of course related to music, making it the perfect excuse for putting them up there. Imagine concerts with the spinning disks behind the talent.

Back