Toronto Clare R. Copeland Transformer Station | ?m | ?s | Toronto Hydro | Arcadis

On the side of a highway, dark and sparsely walked.... yep, this is so going to get tagged — maybe even before they’re finished. And there won’t be any way to clean it up without covering up the design below.

Not sure you understand how the design is made when you say "won’t be any way to clean it up without covering up the design below." The panels are perforated Corten, and the design only comes from not perforating certain areas. Any paint sprayed onto the surface will only hold to the surface, not the perforations, so the design will sell be there, just painted. The Corten on Queen Street at The Carnaby has been vandalized a number of times, and cleaning always leaves some scar.

On the side of a highway, dark and sparsely walked.... yep, this is so going to get tagged — maybe even before they’re finished. And there won’t be any way to clean it up without covering up the design below.
The equivalent 'sculpture" @ Eastern and Cherry has not had problems and still looks fantastic - it does have back-lighting.

Not sure you understand how the design is made when you say "won’t be any way to clean it up without covering up the design below." The panels are perforated Corten, and the design only comes from not perforating certain areas. Any paint sprayed onto the surface will only hold to the surface, not the perforations, so the design will sell be there, just painted. The Corten on Queen Street at The Carnaby has been vandalized a number of times, and cleaning always leaves some scar.

Ah, I see. I thought it was laser etching. I'll have a better look up close.

The Corten steel at Fort York is constantly vandalized and yes, it's permanently marked despite cleaning. I have little faith that this won't meet the same fate, specially given its location.

The corten is a mesh frame, not a plain surface. If you look closely at the title, Round House, house is on a slant of all things with everything else been straight.

I like the layout of the old roundhouse and track work, even been dusk.

Photos to follow when I have time to do them.

It will be tag.

Dec 02
More up on site
37952869985_650ed69cf5_b.jpg

38839894561_c5c4290d46_b.jpg

37952873645_b52d11d246_b.jpg

38809180202_37bd950939_b.jpg

37952876385_82e8156729_b.jpg

38809182622_24846fd88b_b.jpg

38809184752_86541b7fff_b.jpg

37952878835_405ed74865_b.jpg

38809187532_7c108f740e_b.jpg

37952879845_a3a54c4b9f_b.jpg

27063139809_ecf934d68c_b.jpg

Who would have thought a transformer station could look so good. Kind of an industrial noir thing going on, particularly like the lamps and corten steel. Refreshing to see different materials and textures, aside from the roundhouse that area was otherwise quite dull- if not bleak.

Who would have thought a transformer station could look so good. Kind of an industrial noir thing going on, particularly like the lamps and corten steel. Refreshing to see different materials and textures, aside from the roundhouse that area was otherwise quite dull- if not bleak.

Absolutely right; between this and the Parliament data centre, the city has a couple great contemporary examples of utilitarian infrastructure being really nicely gussied up.

For all the cries of "xyz is *so* Toronto" (much of it justified), this is a great example of bucking that trend.

According to Christopher Hume in today's Star, Toronto (aka as the center of the universe ), is , " a city that has run out of ambition, imagination and, worse still, the energy to care ". Escape the massive gravitational pull of the center of the universe while you still have some wit, Mr. Hume.

According to Christopher Hume in today's Star, Toronto (aka as the center of the universe ), is , " a city that has run out of ambition, imagination and, worse still, the energy to care ". Escape the massive gravitational pull of the center of the universe while you still have some wit, Mr. Hume.

Hume is the most pompous journalist in Canada yet is one of the few talking about urban affairs so I seek out his articles despite my personal distaste for him. What other commentators (outside of UrbanToronto! :) ) should I be following so I don't have to read this negative Nelly any more?

Back