Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

So I'm guessing those are the immediate + long-term plans for the neighbourhood, right?

I actually think a hotel would be a great use for the silos.

There's a lot to like with the proposal. A couple of things I think that would improve it further --

It would be nice if the Eireann Quay went underground south of the school, allowing for a continuous greenspace connecting Little Norway, Ireland Park and The Silo site. The dropoff loop and taxi queue could all be underground or at least in a ditch with land bridge above. Anti-idling rules and preferred electric/hybrid taxi access could also help. The parking garage could serve three purposes -- airport parking, aquatic centre parking, and parking for the cultural attraction/hotel of the Silo. With all the attractions in this area, visitors of the waterfront area may want to park here for the day, so there may be substantial demand for parking. Despite the local councilors desire to minimize parking, it can be done sensitively, the proceeds can help maintain the area, and many people don't want to take public transit down here.

I think the wavedeck concept was neat 10 years ago, but it is tired and the other examples on the harbourfront are not weathering well. I'd propose something more utilitarian at the corner, but maintain the wood boardwalk concept with Muskoka chairs. Maybe a seasonal cafe or restaurant can be set up there?

Glad no one is seriously seeking to bring the streetcar to the terminal.

You are not reading it correctly. The Lake Shore and Bathurst junction is being rebuilt and Fleet may become streetcar only.
I’m going off the map posted on the last page.

Streetcars don’t have a switch to go northbound on Bathurst if coming from Fleet. The same applies in the opposite direction.

So I'm guessing those are the immediate + long-term plans for the neighbourhood, right?

The recent rendering only shows the short term improvements which involve clearing the area around the silos and paving it as a square and building a cobblestone sidewalk along the water’s edge (a boardwalk would come in a future phase).

It also involves restoring the brick buildings near the water and stabilizing the condition of the silos to make them safe (currently they’re chipping and debris sometimes fall).

There's a lot to like with the proposal. A couple of things I think that would improve it further --

It would be nice if the Eireann Quay went underground south of the school, allowing for a continuous greenspace connecting Little Norway, Ireland Park and The Silo site. The dropoff loop and taxi queue could all be underground or at least in a ditch with land bridge above. Anti-idling rules and preferred electric/hybrid taxi access could also help. The parking garage could serve three purposes -- airport parking, aquatic centre parking, and parking for the cultural attraction/hotel of the Silo. With all the attractions in this area, visitors of the waterfront area may want to park here for the day, so there may be substantial demand for parking. Despite the local councilors desire to minimize parking, it can be done sensitively, the proceeds can help maintain the area, and many people don't want to take public transit down here.

The long term plan is indeed to end Eireann Quay shortly after the school with underground parking under an aquatic centre to be built in the parking lots currently there.

Eventually, airport patrons would be able to walk from the underground parking

Streetcars don’t have a switch to go northbound on Bathurst if coming from Fleet. The same applies in the opposite direction.

Even if they did remove those two turns it would only affect how the 509 comes into and out of service. (Not sure where they do that now) They could still go directly to and from Queen's Quay either from Bathurst or Spadina. And then head to Exhibition as usual after first going to Spadina or Union loops.

It's the 511 that would be really messed up. Unless there is some plan to send it to the Spadina loop. Could be just an omition.

Last edited:

On the map or currently? Because the 511 has turned north onto Bathurst from Fleet for years

I think Filip means the 511, not the 509… and that's not the kind of map anyone should get worried about regarding the 511. The map is more about the waterfront, and those making it aren't particularly thinking about the 511, they're thinking about anything Queens Quay related. Mistakes get made and things are missed sometimes…

Here's a more up to date summary of what is planned for Bathurst Quay:

http://www.waterfrontforall.ca/bathurstquayupdate

This is the first phase due to start construction Summer 2018:

highlight4.PNG

Can someone please explain to me the logic of including a parking lot here? To my mind it is a travesty - why does Toronto always blight waterfront land with parking lots?

A parking lot, a two lane round about AND another separate lane for entry into the parking lot. Pretty wacky. I take it the lot is for a future phase? Sick of these two lane roundabouts regardless.

A parking lot, a two lane round about AND another separate lane for entry into the parking lot. Pretty wacky. I take it the lot is for a future phase? Sick of these two lane roundabouts regardless.
The parking lot will dissappear eventually. The taxi queuing area, what you call a roundabout, is always stuff full of taxis. If you get rid of it, they'll go park somewhere else. probably haphazardly on the sidewalk and roads.

Also, the parking lot is for the school. Airport parking is on the island.

Back