Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

As seen from last few photos by WillWu today, the FlyingTables are now being utilized! They seem to be starting Table-Form/Flying-Form (something TMG builder specialize in),... hence concrete forming should progress at about 1 floor every 1-1.5 weeks,.... thus, I would expect this project to top out in early-Spring 2019 and complete by around Summer-Fall 2019. And then Bazis will ride off into the sunset back to Kazakhstan.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...york-mills-bazis-planning.23608/#post-1270294

Is that before or after this?

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/11-yorkville-avenue-bazis-s.27953/

A quick one from today

This is my first post, but I have been a frequent reader of the forum.
Over the last few years I have worked with several developers and I will try to share with you of what I have learned and I will try to correct some of misstatements that I see from time to time.

Like the one from Sunnyraytoronot, the flying table that are being used were not invented by TMG, they were invented by Aluma systems which was owned by Tridel many years age.
Each of the forming company rents or buys the table from Aluma systems.
Now that project hit the typical floor they should be able to do 1 floor every 5 days, depending on the weather.

This is my first post, but I have been a frequent reader of the forum.
Over the last few years I have worked with several developers and I will try to share with you of what I have learned and I will try to correct some of misstatements that I see from time to time.

Like the one from Sunnyraytoronot, the flying table that are being used were not invented by TMG, they were invented by Aluma systems which was owned by Tridel many years age.
Each of the forming company rents or buys the table from Aluma systems.
Now that project hit the typical floor they should be able to do 1 floor every 5 days, depending on the weather.

Well,... then I don't stand corrected,... since I stated:

As seen from last few photos by WillWu today, the FlyingTables are now being utilized! They seem to be starting Table-Form/Flying-Form (something TMG builder specialize in),... hence concrete forming should progress at about 1 floor every 1-1.5 weeks,.... thus, I would expect this project to top out in early-Spring 2019 and complete by around Summer-Fall 2019. And then Bazis will ride off into the sunset back to Kazakhstan.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...york-mills-bazis-planning.23608/#post-1270294
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.19292/page-52#post-1271034

We have said a number of times that the first several metres of those buildings are being saved, not just the facades!

We have said a number of times that the first several metres of those buildings are being saved, not just the facades!

Yes i know that, these buildings will be intact with the facades and walls to where the new building ties in
structurally it will not be touched but everything else inside will be tossed

Just saying this is not happening

nope, the interiors will be extensively renovated but the original wooden structure is going to remain. It is not a facade in any way.

they will be stripping it to the studs. But they will be keeping the studs.

Last edited:
last I checked the interior brick walls are still there.. Though yes, I was in error with the wooden interiors being retained.

last I checked the interior brick walls are still there.. Though yes, I was in error with the wooden interiors being retained.

Yes the walls are still there, ..i did these type of renos for over 20 yrs and know that it doesn't pay to keep anything except the walls, its easier, faster and cheaper to do a gut job and start from scratch,
again it's mostly done in buildings that have no interior value which in this case is most of the 2-3 storey old buildings on Yonge street

During rezoning process there is a negotiation process between developer and historical board on what and how much should be retained.
Along Yonge Street the city ask for a 10m full retention. In other parts of the downtown it could be as low as 3-5m.
Prior to new zoning being finalized the developer must enter into agreement with historical department and have a full presentation plan in place with cost on how much it will be. The developer must put up Letter of credit to the city for that amount, as a security that all preservation and restoration work will be done.
Developer also must retain a historical architect who works in conjunction with regular architect.

As for removing the wooden floors , under the new Ontario building code for Highrise you can’t have wooded floors in the structure, because historical buildings are part of the overall development the wooded floors are removed. some times one department contradicts the other one.

Back