Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

This is the new "brutalism". Ugly but impossible to avoid. Doesn't bother me much.
I'd even prefer brutalism compared to whatever one wants to call this hot mess. The changing color patterns arent enough to save this thing from turning out from being a disaster.

This morning:
38009697852_7cf7d7ff79_b.jpg

As a Gemini I harbour a predisposed attraction to buildings with competing elements but this clunker comes off less a playful expression of opposites and push/pull and more the product of an unsound mind.

Bleak grey spandrel as deadened synapses/grey matter, anyone?

A piece of plywood flew off this and landed on Yonge this morning. Street was entirely shut down. No injuries and the street has re-opened. I'd assume the site is shut down for the day though.

And to think this eyesore is going up on our most prominent street..
This city has no problem or shame with allowing things like this to happen. Just look at what goes on in front of University Avenue, Bay Street, and Queen Street.

To be honest there's not much the city themselves could have done to avoid this one. This one is solely on Canderel.

I have to agree... The two-tones of balcony glass will change this project's street appeal big time, and what little spandrel viewable from street level will be mostly hid or overshadowed by the aforementioned balcony glass and future neighborhood developments (ie: south side)... This isn't a work of art, but it should fit in just fine... This stretch of Yonge (referring to north of College for a pretty shady 5 to 6 block stretch), is hardly where I'd expect to see a Gehry or Foster-like masterpiece (which are coming, just not at this junction) to suddenly appear, IMO... This building should look better every passing week... There are not many NA cities that wouldn't gladly accept a project like this in their downtown...

Last edited:

Back