Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Interesting that the office tower podium has the cross bracing in some of the images and not others- I also wonder if the billboards will be video screens.

The office podium bracing is gone - just an oversight on the renderer's (sp?) part.

Now this is how you use materials. Every surface seems to have a unique quality to it but it ties together very well thanks to careful style/colour choices and application. I'll be happy if it turns out like this render, the only part I feel could be improved are the unfinished concrete pillars.

You would have thought that they would use the new streetcars along Spadina in the rendering. Perhaps they figure the buildings will be constructed before all the new streetcars are delivered. I like the use of the new (2004-2006) Pontiac GTO. Too bad it was never sold in Canada, at least directly from dealers.

I'm loving the podiums, especially along Front.

I think the EUR comparisons are bang on, and both the exterior rendering of that building and the interior rendering of the mall remind me of the Kitte department store in Tokyo:

img_en01.jpg

link

shopping-mall-atrium-at-kitte-marunouchi-building-by-tokyo-station-in-picture-id522257388

link
japan-honshu-tokyo-marunouchi-kitte-building-aka-jp-tower-HEE0JD.jpg

link

With the very Lloyd's exterior and well done heritage buildings (or faux heritage) this screams London to me and that's quite quite quite alright! Big fan.

I didn't realize how absolutely huge this site is unti I walked around it a couple weeks ago. It's going to take a while for this to get built out and I can't fathom the cost. The renderings are looking good though.

I found the cat statue!

draper_st_park.jpg

It is our opinion that the heritage character of the HCD is conserved by the proposed park, and provides a compatible relationship to the buildings and streetscape through the following design measures:
• a proposed brick wall at north and south property lines to delineate the park boundary and provide privacy to adjacent rear yards. Brick colour and texture is compatible with historic building fabric on Draper Street
• flowering trees proposed within the park match proposed plantings on Draper Street, creating a consistent treatment and visual connection between the adjacent development site and the HCD
• linear benches provide for passive activities, and a communal table continues the use of the space as a gathering space for local residents
• salvage and reinstatement of the existing plaque, and commemoration of a beloved local cat, Dizzy, through a statue located at the west entrance to the park

(via HIA addendum doc)

Attachments

• draper_st_park.jpg
    draper_st_park.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 391
It sounded like there was going to be a water feature, though I'm not sure if that's still a thing, based on the above illustration. But this is definitely meant to mirror Berczy park, if not the fountain proper. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...he-cat-gets-a-promenade-dedicated-to-him.html
I think the plan was to have a collection of cats in a new park north of Wellington, intended to connect up to King (possibly through the BIG project). I believe Allied picked up a property along that strip that they intend to use to fulfill the parkland requirements for The Well. (There is a property marked on the landscape plans as "456 WELLINGTON / FUTURE PARK".) But plans for that park have not been made public yet as far as I know. Hopefully it's still in the works.

I think the plan was to have a collection of cats in a new park north of Wellington, intended to connect up to King (possibly through the BIG project). I believe Allied picked up a property along that strip that they intend to use to fulfill the parkland requirements for The Well. (There is a property marked on the landscape plans as "456 WELLINGTON / FUTURE PARK".) But plans for that park have not been made public yet as far as I know. Hopefully it's still in the works.

Assuming it's the same lot (and I'm about 85% sure it is), that parcel was discussed at the BIG public consultation; it had been acquired for $13M IIRC to sweeten the pot for Planning, which at least at that time was being (IMHO) quite pig-headed about a number of items. The proponents spoke specifically about the synergy between that site and The Well, arguing that they'd made a big concession to facilitate this at a not-nominal cost.

Back