Toronto Sidewalk Toronto at Quayside | ?m | ?s | Sidewalk | Snøhetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Sidewalk's going to develop this on its own, or if they might partner up with a local developer (integrating their technologies in the process).

I am glad that it's moving ahead. I will be more happier if the buildings is nice and futuristic.

I hope to see something like Union centre, 45 Bay or EY tower.

For those who want to read the article ,but are not subscribed to the Wall Street Journal ,i have another link of the text.

The text is full and there is no need to pay.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...y-slides-after-citron-criticism-idUSKBN1C92JI

This is super exciting, but at the same time, it's irritating because the goals that WT has for Quayside have been so vague. Can't wait for some concrete stuff to come out of this.

Also, news reports have been frenzied enough for WT to put out a statement:
The RFP details the project objectives and the process, which includes a blackout period that must be observed by all proponents and participants until our Board of Directors has approved the selected partner and the formal announcement is made. We expect to make that announcement later this fall.

Waterfront Toronto remains in a blackout period and cannot comment on participants and responses to the RFP until a partner has been approved by our Board.

Alphabet nears huge Toronto waterfront development deal

TORONTO — A subsidiary of Google parent Alphabet Inc. is nearing a deal to develop part of Toronto’s waterfront, the first major foray of the search-engine giant into the creation of high-tech urban space, according to multiple people familiar with the deal.

Sidewalk Labs LLC, would spearhead the so-called digital-city project, to be located along a 12-acre section of Toronto’s eastern waterfront. It would create up to 3 million square feet, about the size of the Empire State Building.

Full details of the plans, including the cost, were unclear Wednesday and the agreement is still subject to approval of the board of Waterfront Toronto, an agency tasked with the city’s development along the shore of Lake Ontario. The approval is expected this month, according to multiple people familiar with the project.

The cost of the project, currently dubbed Quayside, is likely to run over $1 billion, based on construction costs of similar projects.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/alphabet-nears-huge-toronto-waterfront-development-deal-2017-10-04

The cost of the project, currently dubbed Quayside, is likely to run over $1 billion, based on construction costs of similar projects.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/alphabet-nears-huge-toronto-waterfront-development-deal-2017-10-04

So in other words, Google is injecting $1 billion dollars into this development site. That is quite a lot.

'Based on similar projects.' Thing is, this is going to be unprecedented.

If this is going to have technology built into the foundation and given rigorous oversight by an experienced contractor, I'm betting it will go north of that. This is a research project, not building for max profit.

Geesh...there's always a naysayer. We have wonderful news but on the other hand this really bad news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back