News   Apr 24, 2024
 88     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 581     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Some further detail on this vehicle. It was driven by Harold Homer "Jack" Petticord. I think this photo actually dates from 1923, as Petticord's race record indicates he performed with this car, named "Straw Streak", on Aug 25 and 27, 1923 as part of a Canadian race tour. For his efforts he was named IMCA Canadian National Driving Champion for 1923. In 1924 his driving was concentrated in California.

Simpson Avenue Methodist Church (Simpson Ave.-Howland Rd.) picnic in Hamilton 1924

Simpson Ave Methodist SS picnic Wabasso Park-Hamilton 1924.jpg

Attachments

• Simpson Ave Methodist SS picnic Wabasso Park-Hamilton 1924.jpg
    Simpson Ave Methodist SS picnic Wabasso Park-Hamilton 1924.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 535
"Sound and talking" featured at the Palace - Danforth at Pape, 1929
Wow! Something incredibly catching for the eye with that. Now-days, the question would be "Is that digitally enhanced?" It's not just contrast, compression, pixelation (or graininess) or edge detailing, there's something about how the shot or developing was done. It may have been 'pushed'. The lighting, as always, is a huge part of it. Approaching a century ago, and that shot is more than alive still...

As an aside as to how some things never age, that looks like a Laura Secord sign next door. Speaking of good design and timelessness...

Last edited:
Yes, steveintoronto. Here's an earlier photo.
The "Laura Secord" guess was exactly right, albeit not hard, it's still synonymous a century later (since 1913 IIRC), but the United Cigars sign is also exemplary of the times, and Woolworth's I believe had that same style and boldness, also just as effective today. And what is the store name next to Laura S? (French Bakery?)

Other than the utility poles, and construction barriers, that's a very 'tidy' and visually clean view. I'd much rather be there than here: (corner building appears to be the same, but still an impostor of itself.)

upload_2017-10-15_23-24-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-15_23-24-54.png
    upload_2017-10-15_23-24-54.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 687
In this case, never mind 80s. I'd say the case for Langley's PO was made with the publication of Toronto: No Mean City in 1963.

True, but the PO was demolished in 1960. Notwithstanding some 1970's examples where heritage buildings were integrated into Modernist compositions (i.e. Commerce Court), it wasn't until the 1980's with Scotia Plaza and the 1990's with BCE Place that the site planning actually integrated existing heritage as major elements. Remember that Robert Venturi's Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture was not published until 1966, and in an architectural version of Jane Jacob's urban design theories proclaimed:

"Architects can no longer afford to be intimidated by the puritanically moral language of orthodox Modern architecture. I like elements which are hybrid rather than 'pure,' compromising rather than 'clean,' distorted rather than 'straightforward,' ambiguous rather than 'articulated,' perverse as well as impersonal, boring as well as 'interesting,' conventional rather than 'designed,' accommodating rather than excluding, redundant rather than simple, vestigial as well as innovating, inconsistent and equivocal rather than direct and clear. I am for messy vitality over obvious unity. I include the non sequitur and proclaim the duality."

True, but the PO was demolished in 1960.

I know; I raised No Mean City in the "a few years could have made a difference" sense.

Notwithstanding some 1970's examples where heritage buildings were integrated into Modernist compositions (i.e. Commerce Court), it wasn't until the 1980's with Scotia Plaza and the 1990's with BCE Place that the site planning actually integrated existing heritage as major elements.

But consider the "heritage" involved (or, in other cases, demolished)--except for BCE, it was mainly c20 or "minor" (shopfronts and the like), stuff that was still off-radar or a tough sell in the 60s/70s. Whereas the PO was 1870s Second Empire *and* a major public building in a prominent location: the winds were already blowing in its posthumous favour by the mid-60s...

Union Station, Royal York Hotel and railway lands.
According to the automobiles in foreground, it may be dated c.1930.

Union Station-Royal York Hotel and rail lands-ONT. Arch.jpg

Attachments

• Union Station-Royal York Hotel and rail lands-ONT. Arch.jpg
    Union Station-Royal York Hotel and rail lands-ONT. Arch.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 578
Also notice demolition underway on the old warehouse just across the tracks. (And would the photo be taken from the Bank of Commerce?)

Also notice demolition underway on the old warehouse just across the tracks. (And would the photo be taken from the Bank of Commerce?)

Yes indeed. Line-of-sight from the old, 32 storey CIBC tower would appear to give this view.

Back