News   Apr 18, 2024
 794     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 397     0 

Will Tory face stronger opposition from the Left or a right-wing populist in the next election?

Galloway is too urbane, too downtown to be competitive in the mayoral election. Does anyone know who he is outside of the old city limits?
Probably more than people might think. People that listen to radio are people that sit in their cars on the 401 and QEW.

Cole? No thanks.

The last thing this city needs is a BLM activist at the helm.

I'd much rather he run for councillor first.

Last edited:
I recognize that there is some racism in Toronto, but the way BLM Toronto is run turns me away- especially with the whole Pride debacle, the championing of divisive boutique issues (like kicking out police in schools) and the generally iffiness of its founders (Sandy Hudson especially with the UofT issue). I really have yet to see a constructive proposal (adding to the discussion) from BLM as of yet- all of their demands are either redistributive or subtractive.

A mayor needs to represent the entire city- even his/her enemies. If Cole gets in, I have suspicions BLM social politics may dominate rather than city-building ones.

Anyways, I think he'd make for a decent councillor, but not as a good mayor yet. Perhaps a few terms as a councillor might moderate his views.

Reactions: rbt
The Toronto Star editorial has literally lost it’s mind and has become totally out of touch with the city. In the absence of a left leaning candidate I’m sure Desmond Cole would pick up some votes but in a multiple Candidate field with more than one left candidate I think his vote maxed out in the single digits. A Ford, Tory, Cole ticket is a landslide Tory win.

The Toronto Star editorial has literally lost it’s mind and has become totally out of touch with the city. In the absence of a left leaning candidate I’m sure Desmond Cole would pick up some votes but in a multiple Candidate field with more than one left candidate I think his vote maxed out in the single digits. A Ford, Tory, Cole ticket is a landslide Tory win.

Multiple left candidates? The Labour/NDP don't have anyone that I know of willing to run, and up to now always have someone, even if it's Joe Pantalone. Tory knows how to handle Doug Ford, but I think Desmond Cole will scare Tory - not because Cole would necessarily win, but because Cole will make Tory very uncomfortable, often. The 2018 race needs someone who can do that.

Multiple left candidates? The Labour/NDP don't have anyone that I know of willing to run, and up to now always have someone, even if it's Joe Pantalone.

They didn't really have anyone in 2000, either, unless the outside-the-fray Tooker Gomberg counts.

Multiple left candidates? The Labour/NDP don't have anyone that I know of willing to run, and up to now always have someone, even if it's Joe Pantalone. Tory knows how to handle Doug Ford, but I think Desmond Cole will scare Tory - not because Cole would necessarily win, but because Cole will make Tory very uncomfortable, often. The 2018 race needs someone who can do that.

Yeah, there really isn't an NDP councillor who can defeat Tory. Cole doesn't much of a chance either, but at least he'll put Tory on the defensive and put out some bold ideas. The last thing this city needs is Failed Laschinger Campaign 3.0

Well, if it is Cole vs Tory vs Ford, I guess my vote is defaulted to Tory.
Yeah...groan...it's going to be that way for a lot of folks, and who can blame them? It has to be someone known and recognized already in the political sphere, and close to Centre, or they're just not going to be able to pull the votes. Tory has surprisingly high poll results, and the win is his unless someone with stature enters the ring.

Nothing against Cole, but outside of those that listen to him (I've only had the occasional listen) he has no recognition. The problem at present for potential candidates is that anyone possible is already polarized 'left or right'.

On the up-side, there's still a year to go. It might take Tory hitting a real rough patch for voter sentiment to go soft.

In my previous post I didn’t mean to suggest there was more than one left-leaning candidate running. What I meant was I don’t think Cole would poll much higher than 10% in a field where another left-leaning candidate was running. Meaning he would in my opinion be a divisive figure even amongst left-leaning voters, let alone a credible alternative to oust Tory.

My outburst about it is directed at the Toronto Star not at Cole himself. He may be a bit outrageous in his politics now but many people who became credible political figures were similarly extreme. I just happen to consistently disagree with his point of view.

In my previous post I didn’t mean to suggest there was more than one left-leaning candidate running. What I meant was I don’t think Cole would poll much higher than 10% in a field where another left-leaning candidate was running. Meaning he would in my opinion be a divisive figure even amongst left-leaning voters, let alone a credible alternative to oust Tory.

My outburst about it is directed at the Toronto Star not at Cole himself. He may be a bit outrageous in his politics now but many people who became credible political figures were similarly extreme. I just happen to consistently disagree with his point of view.
Cole is so extreme, that with Cole, Tory and Ford running, Ford will appear moderate and it will be viewed as a choice between the centrist (maybe even slightly centre-left, since he is a Red PC anyway) Tory and the slightly right Ford.

I hope that Cole does run. Unless he can mange enough support to split the right vote and pull a Nenshi he has little chance of actually winning, but he would likely provide a balance to Ford and keep Tory from going all in on the right to woo as many Ford voters as possible.

Back