344     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 950     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 507     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Last edited:
It is so funny if it wasn't real.
Canada’s access-to-information system has worsened under Trudeau government: report
A freedom-of-information audit from News Media Canada, a national association representing the Canadian news media industry, gives the federal government a failing grade for timely disclosure of information. It also said its performance in this year's audit "was even worse than in the latter years of the former Stephen Harper government."
This story has been building for a while.
Media ‘under threat’: Canada slips out of Top 20 in press freedom index
The four-place decline to the 22nd spot overall, on top of last year's 10-spot fall, leaves Canada out of the top 20 countries in terms of media freedom, Reporters Without Borders — or RSF — said Wednesday.
So Canada fell from #8 in the world under Harper to #22 under Trudeau.
Although this is partly the press' fault, since this press freedom index story is 4+ months old and nobody followed up on it.

I wonder what the Liberals will do to defend themselves. Likely blame Harper. Yup, believe it not, they will.
Liberals blame Harper for their failing grade on Access to Info disclosure

Yeah, the government's approach to FOI is tremendously disappointing. The baseline was already so low.
They are planning changes.
Government’s access to info bill a step backwards, not forward: watchdog
A government bill that is supposed to increase transparency for Canadians would actually do the opposite, the federal information watchdog said Thursday.
It really is amazing the number of promises the Liberals lied on. They continued to spout promises with no idea how to go about implementing them. I hear it's Harper's fault for having a long campaign and "forcing" the Liberals to continually make more and more impossible promises.

Another element of the foreign worker issue- this time with working holidays (I have no doubt the majority of the french increase is in Quebec):

0925-col-todd-working-holiday2-chart.jpg

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...k-and-sounds-of-vancouvers-hospitality-sector

Conservative pick for status of women chair defeated, Vecchio named against her will

It's hard to believe, but the Liberals dictated to the CPC who they can choose to be the chair. By rules, the opposition has the right to chair the Status of Women committee. Of course they nominate their Shadow Cabinet Minister for Status of Womem. Not sure if the Liberals have such disrespect for women, they don't accept any diversity of opinion, or they are such a dictatorial regime that they not only control their own MP's, but also those of opposition.

I remember Harper controlling his MP's with an iron fist. He was a bit of a control freak.

Mercedes Stephenson‏Verified account@CTVMercedes 50m50 minutes ago
So the Canadian govt was aware of Sharif's deportation order and detention in the US when he was granted refugee status in Cda in 2012
Mercedes Stephenson‏Verified account@CTVMercedes 52m52 minutes ago
CTV News has learned Sharif crossed DIRECTLY into Canada from the United States in 2012, not through a route originating in Somalia
Mercedes Stephenson‏Verified account@CTVMercedes 52m52 minutes ago
Tonight in a statement to CTV News the govt confirms they knew that Sharif had been detained in the United States due to immigration issues

Remind me who was PM and immigration minister in 2012. Much like most senate scandals, you can't pin them on a party who only had 34 seats at the time.

Last edited:
I remember Harper controlling his MP's with an iron fist. He was a bit of a control freak.
I remember the opposition saying that about the PM as well.
Remind me who was PM and immigration minister in 2012. Much like most senate scandals, you can't pin them on a party who only had 34 seats at the time.
No doubt, this looks bad on Harper and Kenney. I wonder though if the number of people on the watch list has grown significantly in the past 2 years, and controls that were expected to be in place are now not there. Have there been any reports on how much the watch list has grown?

Conservative pick for status of women chair defeated, Vecchio named against her will

It's hard to believe, but the Liberals dictated to the CPC who they can choose to be the chair. By rules, the opposition has the right to chair the Status of Women committee. Of course they nominate their Shadow Cabinet Minister for Status of Womem. Not sure if the Liberals have such disrespect for women, they don't accept any diversity of opinion, or they are such a dictatorial regime that they not only control their own MP's, but also those of opposition.

*eye roll* The opposition still has the chair. It's not disrespect for women to refuse to vote for a chair that doesn't support women's rights.

Also, hard to take seriously on this issue someone who thinks calling women "Barbie" is okay.

I remember the opposition saying that about the PM as well.

No doubt, this looks bad on Harper and Kenney. I wonder though if the number of people on the watch list has grown significantly in the past 2 years, and controls that were expected to be in place are now not there. Have there been any reports on how much the watch list has grown?

Some of Harper's management style was actually good, in the sense that he kept the SoCons quiet.

I should also add that Vic Toews was public safety minister in 2012.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/1...spect_a_23233964/?ncid=tweetlnkcahpmg00000002

Last edited:
Some weird ironies here- you can almost already see some of the final bids(5 out of the 9) due to the political need for every part of the country to be represented without controversy.

For instance, the Atlantic Canada proposal will certainly be one of the winners. There will be one Ontario, one Quebec (probably AI) and one Prairie winner, and the BC proposal might be a tossup depending on which part of the country needs the extra votes more.

I would almost rather the Liberals increase the pot of money and fund all of these since they seem to cover a decent amount of Canada's economic strengths.

The short list includes:
  • From the Atlantic region: an oceans supercluster to invest in digital ocean technologies for industries such as aquaculture, the fishery, offshore oil and gas, and clean energy. Proponents include Petroleum Research Newfoundland and Labrador, Emera Inc., Clearwater and Dalhousie University.
  • From Quebec: an artificial intelligence supercluster to bolster Canadian leadership in AI and data science. Proponents are led by Optel Group and include more than other 80 firms, including AgroPur, Aldo and Polytechnique de Montreal.
  • A mobility supercluster focused on innovation and commercialization in the aerospace, ground transportation and advanced manufacturing. Proponents include CAE Inc., Pratt & Whitney Canada Corp. and Polytechnique Montreal.
  • From Ontario: a supercluster looking at transforming Canada's mining sector and focusing on clean resources, clean technology and responsible sourcing of metals. Proponents include Canada Mining Innovation Council, Barrick Gold Corp. and the University of British Columbia.
  • Another supercluster from Ontario promises to speed up Canada's manufacturing competitiveness. Proponents include Communitech Corp. and MaRS Discovery District, Maple Leaf Foods and the University of Waterloo.
  • From the Prairies: A protein supercluster to capture the export market opportunity for safe, nutritious plant-based food. Proponents include Ag-West Bio Inc., AGT Food and Ingredients and the University of Saskatchewan.
  • A supercluster to invest in technologies related to Canada's crop, livestock and agri-food processing sectors. Proponents: Agrium, Telus, and Olds College.
  • A infrastructure supercluster promising to change how Canada's infrastructure is designed, built and operated using advanced digital communications, cutting-edge tools and interconnected applications and services. Proponents include Stantec Consulting Ltd., PCL Construction Management Inc., Athabasca University and the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.
  • From British Columbia: a digital technology supercluster dedicated to making Canada better at inventing, developing and applying digital technologies to drive competitiveness in environment and resource technology, precision health and manufacturing. Proponents include Telus, Microsoft Canada Development Centre and six post-secondary institutions.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supercluster-liberals-shortlist-1.4347309

Back