Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Can someone remind us why Downsview Park needed a station? I don't get it. The station area is desolate. There are no connecting bus routes or development in the area. This could very well wind up being the next Bessarion.

I thought the plan for the Downsview Park lands was to like 10,000 new housing units to the area. Plus there's the GO connection. Many Barrie/Newmarket commuters may opt to transfer at Downsview Park rather than go all the way to Union and vice versa if their start point or end destination is north of downtown.

Does nobody on this forum except for me know that Downsview Park is also a GO station, which will have trains running through it every 15 minutes all day in both directions once RER is live, and which currently has ~hourly trains weekends and will soon have hourly AD2W service weekdays?
I don't know why people don't realize this :eek:

Does nobody on this forum except for me know that Downsview Park is also a GO station, which will have trains running through it every 15 minutes all day in both directions once RER is live, and which currently has ~hourly trains weekends and will soon have hourly AD2W service weekdays?

Nope. I keep forgetting that GO station is being built there. How many transfers are expected between GO Transit and Line 1 at that location? It doesn't strike me as being a particularly well used transfer point. GO RER is nice, but four trains an hour won't deliver a huge number of commuters. Anyone travelling downtown on the RER lines would be better off staying on the RER, and its not as if University Line has a lot of trip generators to attract transfers. It might be better than Bessarion, but Downsview Park still looks like it'll be one of the least used station in the city.

Anyone travelling downtown on the RER lines would be better off staying on the RER, and its not as if University Line has a lot of trip generators to attract transfers.

For commuters coming from farther north, Downsview Park GO is a logical transfer point instead of Union if you're heading to: York University, Yorkdale Mall, Eglinton West, St Clair West, St George/U of T, and I'd say as far down as Queen's Park.

I thought the plan for the Downsview Park lands was to like 10,000 new housing units to the area.

That's the plan but I believe we've yet to see anything materialize in terms of developments, or even proposed developments.

This UT article mentions no development in the vicinity of Downsview Park, other than Centennials aerospace school: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/02/growth-watch-2017-downsview-york-university

Same thing for UT's development map: http://urbantoronto.ca/map/

And obviously, driving through the Downsview Park area, you see no redevelopment going on, other than the subway station itself. The plan is for 10,000 housing units, but it's looking like nobody is interested in building in the area.

For commuters coming from farther north, Downsview Park GO is a logical transfer point instead of Union if you're heading to: York University, Yorkdale Mall, Eglinton West, St Clair West, St George/U of T, and I'd say as far down as Queen's Park.

I understand that. I just don't believe the number of transfers are significant enough to warrant the investment.

Consider that the entire TYSSE is expected to move about 50,000 people a day. With six stations, each of these stations will move an average of 8,333 people per day. Ridership will obviously, at least initially, be heavily oriented towards York University and Finch West, and to a lesser extent Steeles West Station. Downsview Park Station is likely to be the least used of the six. I would expect Downsivew Park to have less than 5,000 daily users, and could very well dip below Bessarion's 3,000 riders per day.

There's plans for a stadium that could host a Toronto-based NFL team (and potentially a Super Bowl) and/or the FIFA World Cup to be built next to Downsview Park station.

If there were a stadium next to Downsview Park station, it wouldn't be as empty.
“plans” is a bit strong....it has been mused about......talked about.....maybe even dreamt about.

what no one is clear on is who would pay the over $1Billion price of such a stadium.

There's plans for a stadium that could host a Toronto-based NFL team (and potentially a Super Bowl) and/or the FIFA World Cup to be built next to Downsview Park station.

If there were a stadium next to Downsview Park station, it wouldn't be as empty.

There seems to be a whole lot of "plans" for Downsview Park, but not a lot of action.

Might as well lure Amazon into building their HQ there. Now that's good usage for the station (TTC and GO).

That would be awesome. With the added bonus of taking away another potential site for a city funded stadium development.

Back