News   Apr 18, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Good riddance to aluminium discs. What an antique.
If you're not using Presto you're not taking advantage of the "free" return trips/stop overs :)

As has been discussed in the Presto thread, people are being given a transfer for what would require a new fare following the actual TTC transfer rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the time, living near Dundas West, I would take the subway downtown (slightly faster), then take the 505 back home (no transfer, more enjoyable ride). Because of Presto, many of those return trips have counted as a transfer, and it's been a great money-saver. I wish they'd just switch to 2-hour transfers for everyone, since many of us already have it.

Plus Commerce court may not want them to have the entrance open after they are closed for business.
The entrance to Melinda always operates for full TTC hours so this would make no sense and I really do not understand the "too much dust' argument above - the two entrances are quite separate and reached by different stairs from the platforms.

You don't trust Presto's autoload because the TTC wasn't able to set up its transfers correctly? And you prefer being stuck on the street because you don't have enough money to pay for a bus over being charged an extra $3.00 that can be refunded?
Agreed, I have Autoload on all 5 cards, and that doesn't mean I'm not checking the summary to spot issues.

But frankly, I'm seeing about twice as many (if not more) free rides than extra charges - so difficult to complain too much.

Back to the matter of fare gates - they've replaced the two presto turnstyles with one temporary terminal right by the attendant booth at Dundas southbound. Chaos, lines and flow issues predictably emerges. It's going to be a long fall...

AoD

I got a few pictures of the southbound side today. I didn't get any of the northbound sides though.
37086439401_e06dce9c1d_z_d.jpg

37038830546_58fda0bb84_z_d.jpg

36391927654_b701297cc6_z_d.jpg

They've started on Spadina now. There's a temporary entrance on the side of the main entrance building and everything inside is blocked off by plywood. There is a Presto reader just to the left as you go in the temporary entrance. I didn't check the secondary entrance on the west side of Spadina because I was too lazy to cross the street.

I think the TTC saved the big busy stations till the last maybe because they thought it would be better to be on the beginning of the learning curve while doing the smaller stations that have less foot traffic.

I think the TTC saved the big busy stations till the last maybe because they thought it would be better to be on the beginning of the learning curve while doing the smaller stations that have less foot traffic.

I doubt that - I think the rationale was prioritizing total system coverage. The busy stations are precisely the ones that already have Presto equipped turnstyles.

AoD

I doubt that - I think the rationale was prioritizing total system coverage. The busy stations are precisely the ones that already have Presto equipped turnstyles.

To some extent yes, but there are also weird cases where they're putting in Presto at entrances that already have readers before the automatic entrances.

If you're not using Presto you're not taking advantage of the "free" return trips/stop overs
Good riddance to aluminium discs. What an antique.
Even with extra Presto taps, and the Presto quirkiness, I've saved more money than I have lost in lost tokens. Gah.

I wonder if the TTC is losing the "lost token" revenue.

The big "earned its true keep" is fare integration and timed transfers with no directional restrictions. Presto is an insanely complex IT system (the decision to do it inhouse) and numerous in deployment quirks, but you love it more than hate it once it's fully deployed, machines behave with less bugs, and faster/extra add-fare machines getting put out, Shoppers Presto refill, lost card process got easier/faster (one easier one-step process now that is usually <24h imstead of 2 x 24h). Internet payments appearing sooner and sooner than promised, and saved hundreds by not losing funds when I lose a card. More stations and more entrances converted.

It has the hallmarks of progressing eventually to a system of envy (to other cities farecard systems, especially any North American system). Eventually.

Last edited:
I am sure that will get more than compensated by the fake token and the "drop a random mixture of coins when the attendant is busy with ticket buyers" lost revenue.
I heard anecdotes that some attendants actually hear tiny differences in coin noise caused by coin substitution mixes between pennies, nickels, and dimes. And, yugoslavian pfennigs. (Uncanny accuracy of calling out "That didn't tinkle like $1.60!" and such). But those undistracted sharp-hearing ones are few and far in between -- just incredible anecdotes I have heard from veterans.

Last edited:

Back