News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 663     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 932     0 

Main Square (Main & Danforth, Talisker, 15 + 32s, G+C)

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
mainsquare_05.jpg

mainsquare_04.jpg

http://www.gc-architects.com/masterplan/mainsquare.html#sthash.oJewgfuy.HpBSFTn5.dpbs

700 units, presumably rentals.

Nice find! There is already a large amount of rentals on this site. Condos may be better here to promote a mix of incomes. I am of the opinion of having a large concentration of high density rental housing in a given area isn't desirable for city building. St. James Town comes to mind.

Wow, Blast from the past. I remember when MrMan first posted the application in 2003.

Nice find! There is already a large amount of rentals on this site. Condos may be better here to promote a mix of incomes. I am of the opinion of having a large concentration of high density rental housing in a given area isn't desirable for city building. St. James Town comes to mind.

I agree.

Hopefully Danforth between Donlands and Vic Park will be an area developers focus on in the years to come. Lots of potential there. Height is not necessary in this stretch either. Some nice mid-rises along here will create more foot traffic and revitalize the area.

So, time to wake this thread up from a two-year slumber. This was another of the slooooooooooow moving projects in this city that came to life again to get a resubmission in ahead of the January 1st development charge increase.

The 20 storey building proposed for the corner of Main and Danforth is now down to 15 storeys, 51 metres. The 35-storey tower in the southeast corner of the site is now proposed at 32, with a height of 94.5 metres.

No new renderings nor even perspective drawings yet.

So, time to wake this thread up from a two-year slumber. This was another of the slooooooooooow moving projects in this city that came to life again to get a resubmission in ahead of the January 1st development charge increase.

The 20 storey building proposed for the corner of Main and Danforth is now down to 15 storeys, 51 metres. The 35-storey tower in the southeast corner of the site is now proposed at 32, with a height of 94.5 metres.

No new renderings nor even perspective drawings yet.

I can confirm that demolition is underway on the old commercial building located on the eastern portion of the site , located where the tower against the rail corridor and the new green space would be located.

I really hope the design is improved. The "Ye Olde" look might not jive well with the strip and the original Soviet slabs.

If the new buildings stay in-house w/the current ownership group I wouldn't get your hopes up.

They've shown no particular inclination to maintain to a high standard (at least in the public realm) nor have they invested in their existing retail component.

But one can live in hope.

If the new buildings stay in-house w/the current ownership group I wouldn't get your hopes up.

They've shown no particular inclination to maintain to a high standard (at least in the public realm) nor have they invested in their existing retail component.

One can dream. Regardless, anything will be an improvement for that dire open 'square' at the corner.

The retail and buildings were renovated about ten years ago. The landscaping has never looked better. (the defunct community centre notwithstanding) To a casual observer, the ownership/management has done pretty well here since taking over. I can't speak for the more important areas like the interiors though

The retail and buildings were renovated about ten years ago. The landscaping has never looked better. (the defunct community centre notwithstanding) To a casual observer, the ownership/management has done pretty well here since taking over. I can't speak for the more important areas like the interiors though

You're speaking of the small improved section along the interior road.

I'm speaking of Danforth frontage, the rear commercial parking area, the alley connection that parking to the interior road, all of which are hopelessly neglected in their appearance.

Moreover, the retail looks far less appealing than it did when I was young. I'm old enough to remember the site being anchored by Dominion and Consumers........

The remaining interior (commercial) while clean and neat is sterile and cheap.

All relative in what you're measuring against and what you're hoping for.

False alarm - this is for a proposed retail expansion at the base of one of the existing buildings:

The plan is to build a Scotiabank branch and other retail:

The Site Plan Application for the entire site is still ongoing, according to the Cover Letter.

Back