2.4K     4 

Roads: Highway 7 North Kitchener-Guelph New Freeway Build

W

waterloowarrior

New Highway 7 is a go

Province pledges to proceed with long-awaited four-lane route
JEFF OUTHIT

WATERLOO REGION (Mar 24, 2007)

The provincial government has pledged to build a long-awaited four-lane Highway 7 from Kitchener to Guelph.

The divided highway, 18 kilometres long, is now estimated to cost more than $250 million. At least eight years will pass before it is completed.

But the Liberal government says it will happen, after decades of uncertainty and years of planning.

"This highway will be built," Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield announced yesterday.

"Times have changed, so it's time to change Highway 7," she said.

Cansfield cited traffic congestion, improved safety and economic development as reasons to build the highway on a route determined more than five years ago in a planning study.

It will run just north of the current Highway 7, a two-lane commuting route long plagued by congestion.

Between 1996 and 2001, commuting between Guelph and Waterloo Region soared 31 per cent. The 2001 census found 19,100 people commuting daily between the communities.

Local politicians and business leaders beamed as the new highway was announced at a news conference held in Kitchener.

"This is absolutely wonderful news," Regional Chair Ken Seiling said.

"Some people have called this a two-lane parking lot."

But transit advocate Paul Langan took aim, criticizing a new highway as old thinking.

"The end result is going to be more cars, more pollution, more congestion, just like 50 years of building more lanes on (Highway) 401 has done," said Langan, spokesperson for Transport 2000, a transit advocacy group.

He would have preferred widening Highway 7, and improving commuter rail between the communities.

"There's nothing modern about this planning, and I don't know why the Liberals are going backwards when the environment is supposed to be their premier issue," Langan said.

Calls to improve Highway 7 are at least a generation old.

"There are literally dozens of business volunteers (who) have spent time, energy and money advocating various governments throughout the decades for movement on this highway," said Todd Letts, president of the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce.

Letts is persuaded a new highway will help forge closer ties between neighbouring economies.

"The new Highway 7 is not only a benefit from a safety perspective, but from an economic perspective as well," he said.

Cansfield indicated it at least three years will pass before there's a shovel in the ground.

The province needs these years to finalize the design, acquire property and consult with the public about the final design. Costs have been budgeted to achieve this.

Construction would then take at least five years to complete. The province has yet to put construction costs in a budget.

Officials said the highway could be opened in phases, with its middle, rural section opening first.

Cansfield does not anticipate major public opposition, saying the province has approved the study that proves the need for a new highway.

She said the province has consulted successfully with several First Nations who have made claims to the Grand River, which will be spanned by the new highway.

These consultations will continue during final design, she said.

"They are an integral part of how we are going to design this," Cansfield said of the First Nations, which include Six Nations near Brantford.

Widening Highway 7 has been ruled out because it would impact businesses on the route, and because transportation planners contend it would soon be overwhelmed by traffic.

Proponents of a divided highway say it is safer, because it separates opposing traffic by a median.

Today on Highway 7, "if people make bad decisions about passing, it is a concern," Guelph-Wellington MPP Liz Sandals said.

Regional Coun. Jim Wideman of Kitchener commutes daily to Guelph and faces stop-and-go traffic. He has witnessed several near-collisions on Highway 7, caused by impatient drivers passing long lines of traffic.

"It's an accident waiting to happen, no question," Wideman said. "I've seen three or four very close calls, some really close calls for head-ons."

The proposed route has been in place since before 2002. In its last revision, it was changed to avoid most of the sensitive wetlands that would have been damaged by earlier routes.

The new highway will be 18 kilometres long, two lanes in each direction separated by a 22-metre grass median. It includes three major water crossings, about 25 other structures over roads and water, and seven interchanges.

Today's construction costs are estimated at $250 million. That's significantly higher than earlier estimates of $130 million. These costs will rise with inflation and they exclude costs to buy property for the route.

jouthit@therecord.com

kwr995753_1.jpg

So with this, the Hanlon parkway possible freeway, the Highway 24 study, and the GTA west corridor possible freeway (gta-west.com) ; we are seeing a new network of freeways west of Toronto.

Highway 7 is a mess, and it should have been widened 25 years ago, though a new alignment is a mistake, particularly in the rural section. Highway 6 upgrades are the most sensible, particularly the Hamilton-Highway 401 section.

The upgrading of Hanlon Parkway makes some sense, but the north end will be very expensive to upgrade (and the less needy part for upgrading), with the two active rail spurs crossing at grade and the multiple intersections.

Next there will have to be an expressway spur from the 7-New and Hanlon meeting point to Highway 6 north to Fergus, to get around the Woodlawn traffic and Wal-Mart. Then all hell will break loose as that spur becomes part of the 413, and a new Highway 6 freeway is built up to Mount Forest!

Essentially, a Conestoga-Hanlon connector. Don't say they didn't see this coming...

New grade separated 4-lane freeway, Highway 7 North, from Kitchener Highway 85 to Guelph Highway 6, 18kms

http://newhighway7.ca

MTO Contract: *Not available yet*
Award Amount: *Not available yet* (could be in excess of $400M)
Starting of Construction: *Not available yet* (In planning, some work started)
Expected Completion: *Not available yet* (beyond 2020)

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/resources/PM2011-0412.pdf
http://waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=225
http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&clip_id=94&meta_id=4707
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/highway-bridges/pdfs/southern-highways-program-2016-2020.pdf, Page 3
http://www.bingemans.com/hwy7/index.html
http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2012/08/24/highway-7-alternatives/

Highway-7-Screengrab.png

Last edited:
Only took ~10 years to get started and glad that we finally see some action on it.
10? I moved to Kitchener over 30 years ago, and they were already talking about it. As I recall, the initial ramps and width for Wellington at the Conestoga were originally built for it, and the design dated back to the 1960s.

Has the main contract been awarded? I was surprised to drive past the other day and seen they were already ripping one of those Wellington ramps out (which is a shame, it was a good way to get off the Conestoga onto Riverbend/Bridgeport when there's an accident - I'm not quite sure how else to get to Shirley from the south, without taking quite a detour. I'm not quite sure if that will be possible ultimately - or are they finally going to do something about replacing that missing piece of River Road north of Victoria - how many years has that been missing now?

10? I moved to Kitchener over 30 years ago, and they were already talking about it. As I recall, the initial ramps and width for Wellington at the Conestoga were originally built for it, and the design dated back to the 1960s.

Has the main contract been awarded? I was surprised to drive past the other day and seen they were already ripping one of those Wellington ramps out (which is a shame, it was a good way to get off the Conestoga onto Riverbend/Bridgeport when there's an accident - I'm not quite sure how else to get to Shirley from the south, without taking quite a detour. I'm not quite sure if that will be possible ultimately - or are they finally going to do something about that missing piece of River Road north of Victoria?

They've taken out the directional eastbound Wellington ramp and altered the former westbound ramp to come to a stop light for both east and west turns. Eastbound Wellington will go straight through at Shirley/Riverbend, likely by end of this year, to make a more direct connection to Bingmean's Centre Drive / Lackner / Victoria.

Starting Fall 2017 - Fall 2018, Victoria across the expressway will be closed for demolition and re-build.

Is there a missing Highway 6 link here (i.e should there be one built?). I find going across on Woodlawn to continue north on 6 is quite heavy with traffic.

Top of 6.jpg

Attachments

• Top of 6.jpg
    Top of 6.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 3,375
It would eventually become part of highway 477 going from Stratford (maybe eventually Strathroy) to KW to Guelph to Brampton. (sorry for going off topic)

477.jpg

Attachments

• 477.jpg
    477.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3,287
It's a popular topic of conversation over on Waterloo Region Connected, so here's an overview of the interchange between 7 and 85/7/Wellington/Shirley/etc.

attachment.png

Attachments

• attachment.png
    attachment.png
    483.8 KB · Views: 4,210
Notably, things are very much under construction. The above interchange is the critical path for the project, and so a lot of earthworks are underway. The Bruce St extension to Wellington/Shirley is being built. Victoria St is going to close this summer, so they can demolish and rebuild the bridge over the freeway.

Random googling shows the contract for the new Grand River bridge to be awarded this year:
https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/contract/contractsByRegionView.jsf?contractId=43748651

They've taken out the directional eastbound Wellington ramp and altered the former westbound ramp to come to a stop light for both east and west turns. Eastbound Wellington will go straight through at Shirley/Riverbend, likely by end of this year, to make a more direct connection to Bingmean's Centre Drive / Lackner / Victoria.
Oh, I see. That's useful to know!

So Glasgow Street, that turned into Walter Street, and then turns into Wellington Street South, which becomes Wellington Street North, will now also turn into Shirley Street, which turns into Bingemans Centre Drive, that turns into Lackner that turns into Fairway Crescent that turns into Idle Creek Drive. But doesn't turn into Shirley Drive (which used to be called Wellington didn't it?)

Sometimes, I think Region of Waterloo won't be happy until they turn the entire place into one single street that goes everywhere ... :)

(I guess Walter turning into Wellington is a bit of stretch ... seems to be turning more into a real intersection as things redevelop ...).

Is there a missing Highway 6 link here (i.e should there be one built?). I find going across on Woodlawn to continue north on 6 is quite heavy with traffic.
I thought the old plan, was that 7 just kept going east, squeezing in between the NE corner of Guelph and Guelph Lake, before dropping down to the alignment east of Guelph. But I don't think I've seen or heard much about that for 20-30 years.

It would eventually become part of highway 477 going from Stratford (maybe eventually Strathroy) to KW to Guelph to Brampton. (sorry for going off topic)
North of Guelph Lake? Highway 477? A brand new Niagara Escarpment crossing north of Georgetown? Not that far off topic, unless this is meant for the fantasy thread.

Do you have any references for that highway number or alignment?

Didn't the Guelph to GTA plan end, with the decision during Part 1 of the GTA West Transportation Corridor to instead widen the 401 instead? I don't recall the alignment you show in that study.

Given the slew of threads just created, is mostly for that 401 widening, I'm not sure how Guelph to GTA is back on table.

Back