News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 825     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

No need for us to worry about the finishing materials! They will be terrible and let me tell you why this must be so: BA must HAMMER DOWN COSTS for this building to work., Costs must be beaten down to the ground or it's a no go!

Many banks have moved 'non-essential ' employees out of the downtown core to much cheaper 905 office parks- this includes credit card divisions and home mortgage divisions, amongst other divisions- including collections. The point is that Class A office space has been opening up as banks and other businesses beat a retreat from the oppressive rent charged downtown. Would business relocate to 905 to save millions of dollars? Yes. Yes they would.

SO - BA must compete with new spaces becoming available downtown and with 905. How can you do that? - by Being price competitive- Price may not be the only factor, but- without question- it's a big one! So, in order to hammer down rents - enabling the thing to be leased out in the first place, costs must be hammered down. This mandatory hammering down of costs results in 'the Cheapening." There is no escape.

Would love to be wrong, but I am not!

A couple of shots from the website:

64-exterior_image05.jpg

67-lobby-c2.jpg

85-1BAC-July-14-06-NW.jpg

104-May-9,-2007.2.jpg

107-May-9,-2007.12.jpg

101-2-h3.jpg

No need for us to worry about the finishing materials! They will be terrible and let me tell you why this must be so: BA must HAMMER DOWN COSTS for this building to work., Costs must be beaten down to the ground or it's a no go!

Many banks have moved 'non-essential ' employees out of the downtown core to much cheaper 905 office parks- this includes credit card divisions and home mortgage divisions, amongst other divisions- including collections. The point is that Class A office space has been opening up as banks and other businesses beat a retreat from the oppressive rent charged downtown. Would business relocate to 905 to save millions of dollars? Yes. Yes they would.

SO - BA must compete with new spaces becoming available downtown and with 905. How can you do that? - by Being price competitive- Price may not be the only factor, but- without question- it's a big one! So, in order to hammer down rents - enabling the thing to be leased out in the first place, costs must be hammered down. This mandatory hammering down of costs results in 'the Cheapening." There is no escape.

All of your points are valid. - If it doesn't make money, it doesn't make sense. We live in a free market economy and cost benefit rules the day.

However I will say this, with Toronto becoming more of an international city, there will be a certain amount of prestige to having that downtown office space. Look for outside firms setting up a Toronto presence to ensure they get top flight downtown office space.

Be mindful that- clearly - the 'finished product' pictures on the web sight are part of the promotional material

A couple of shots from the website:

107-May-9,-2007.12.jpg

Oh! It's a fine mess you got us into this time! "Let me drive!" you said. I asked you, "Are you sure you know how to drive this thing?" and you said, "What colud possibly go wrong!?" And now look! Now are we ever stuck! How are we going to get out of here!? Well done!

Wasn't there an entire plethora of article stating the exact opposite? There is no space in the established bank towers, tenants are bursting at the seems and new space is desperately needed. More and more companies are considering relocating to the downtown core for prestige.

Ha! Good one! Where's the shareholder value and the increased bonus based on share performance and dividends in that? Banks have been moving to the 905, along with insurance companies and all sorts of financial instructions.
Sure, there are thousands employed downtown- but there are thousands who have left- and as they leave, more space is freed.

Believe me, if businesses wanted to pay, the BA centre would not be this perfectly OK box. box= cheap. The materials will be cheap, too... see how the LED thingy got deep-sixed?.. that's the start of the cheapening. It will be no worse- and no better, that the Manulife/ Maritime Life thingy at Queen and Yonge, only much taller. It will be that facade, only much more of it- or something like it... perfectly OK!

Hey turdrock,

Would you agree that businesses would much rather locate in low-rise or mid-rise buildings so they can have their logo on the building? Like Maritime Life?

Almost without question- it's not so much the name on the building as much as it is the cheaper rent. Would a company be OK with saving a couple of million dollars by not being on the top floors? Absolutely.

I know of some large to medium firms that have thought of buying smaller B or C class buildings rather than pay outrageous rent for the top floors of an A class building - without question I know this is happening... It's not a name thing as much as it is a cheaper rent = more profit thing. And a 'Don't see the value in paying through the nose- not getting more money because of the higher cost, thus harder to justify expenditure."

You might think that Scotch tastes the same if you're sipping it on the 55th floor or the 15th floor, but if you own the 15th for less than renting the 55th, the quality of the Scotch is a tad bit better....
..Yes, you can pour me another.... hell of a plan, actually... good thinking...

Re name thing-- is it Blaney McMurtry at Maritime Life?- much more prominently displayed and showcased than they would be at any other class A building... Why would they move to pay more rent elsewhere and not be as prominent? Hard to justify. I bet the equity partners are OK with pocketing more take home pay. Or, at worst, will suffer through it if they must. Without question, firms that have the financial capacity to buy small buildings with their name on it at fraction of the cost of rent of similar space in an 80 story building will look into doing so. Prudence demands it!

??
I'm the Turd.

Call it "TurdPlace"

An educated guess as to when the Bay Adelaide Centre will start making impacts on the Toronto skyline?

2 months?..3 months..4 months?

The Globe reported today that Faskens is moving to the BAC from TD, where they've been for decades.

Good News, more evidence we will not have to suffer through stump & steel part 2.

Back