News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 855     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

They want them for testing. Given that Metrolinx has moved to cancel the Bombardier contract, because Bombardier is already late on delivery, then surely Bombardier wouldn't be waiting another 2 years to deliver the first unit!
Have that actually canceled it I know they said that they were thinking of it. If they had wouldn't it be all over the media and there would be reports of them putting out Tenders for other companies as well.

Interesting (but obviously not final) look at the Kitchener GO + VIA + GRT + Ion Transit Hub via this article about a future development.

zehr-group-sixo-development.jpg

Note the platform cover for heavy rail, and the proximity of the development to LRT!

Interesting (but obviously not final) look at the Kitchener GO + VIA + GRT + Ion Transit Hub via this article about a future development.

zehr-group-sixo-development.jpg

Note the platform cover for heavy rail, and the proximity of the development to LRT!
That is merely a hypothetical render by the architects for SIXO, based on previous massing estimates.
Whatever is actually proposed for the Transit Hub will absolutely be different, and it's not a guarantee that we get a covered train platform.

All 102 photos for Jan 31 visit are up on site and do a write up later

All 102 photos for Jan 31 visit are up on site and do a write up later

Thanks drum! It's nice to see finished surfaces on the concrete under the King Street grade separation instead of those ugly earth formed columns. The OCS above the crossover and intersection near Conestoga Mall looks horribly busy - I don't get into Toronto very often but my recollection is that the TTC's panto-compliant wiring is far more sparse and elegant.

I know it's just a concept render, but it looks pretty cool nonetheless. Surprised we don't see more proposals for covered platforms like this one.

Thanks drum! It's nice to see finished surfaces on the concrete under the King Street grade separation instead of those ugly earth formed columns. The OCS above the crossover and intersection near Conestoga Mall looks horribly busy - I don't get into Toronto very often but my recollection is that the TTC's panto-compliant wiring is far more sparse and elegant.

It may have to do with the cross-over immediately after the station, the curve following the station, and the telephoto lens compressing thing.

Jan 29
Part #1
One thing I saw on this trip, a large crew working on the line from end to end compare to the fall as well last winter.

I found the overhead at Conestoga Mall real different from other systems I have seen and over built than TTC, especial the power system. Concrete still not pour for the crossover and being held up to lack of the electrical connection to the tracks as well signalling system. The overhead is all in place from the mall to the spur

None of the station for the system that I saw are completed yet.

Drivers who used to make U-turn on each side of the spur line to gain access southbound to 85 off Northfield are out of luck due to no U-turn signs as well new concrete curbs.

Crews working on the northbound track at the mall in Waterloo as well working on the overhead. The section of the northbound track in Waterloo Downtown have resume speed sign for the on streettrack compare to the 35 km sign on King St south of the Downtown.

Still a lot of concrete work for the tracks down to Wellington intersection with most of the overhead still missing. The wellington intersection is open to allow traffic in all direction except using the new underpass
32611264946_b470a1129d_b.jpg

32498908532_f2aa0e7e29_b.jpg

31839670043_18e1b2fe93_b.jpg

31839653883_59050c1462_b.jpg

32651801605_d037bc36f9_b.jpg

32651810495_5c6fe86cdd_b.jpg

32651803635_d0ed23da0d_b.jpg

31808888524_ea42d5c554_b.jpg

31808891644_8f1754fc8d_b.jpg

32651817465_1dc897da1c_b.jpg

Reactions: BMO
Jan 29

I found the overhead at Conestoga Mall real different from other systems I have seen and over built than TTC, especial the power system. Concrete still not pour for the crossover and being held up to lack of the electrical connection to the tracks as well signalling system. The overhead is all in place from the mall to the spur.

I've been told by local experts that the Conestoga Mall crossover you referenced is in fact not being embedded nor was that ever the plan . That's why it looks the way it does.

Thanks for the photos, drum

In addition to the note by Allandale, one more minor correction:
Drivers who used to make U-turn on each side of the spur line to gain access southbound to 85 off Northfield are out of luck due to no U-turn signs as well new concrete curbs.
U-turns will be explicitly allowed for accessing the Hwy 85 ramps on Northfield. However, there are "No U-Turn" signs up at the railway tracks and at the fire station; you need to drive to the next signallized intersection to U-turn. (Parkside on the west, Conestogo/Colby on the east) My hope is that they eventually add green circle "U-Turn Allowed" signs to those intersections.

If evening service is only every 30 minutes, then how (in)frequent are peak services?
Peak service is expected to be every 8 minutes. Mid-day is every 10 minutes.
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterlo...aselineServicePlans2017to2047RFPV3.pdf#page=5

GRT and the Region just have this mental block that people taking transit might want to do so at night as well. Evening service is "oh well here's the bare minimum so someone who is stranded can get home". It's a city that used to roll up the sidewalks at 8pm, but that is changing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos, drum

In addition to the note by Allandale, one more minor correction:

U-turns will be explicitly allowed for accessing the Hwy 85 ramps on Northfield. However, there are "No U-Turn" signs up at the railway tracks and at the fire station; you need to drive to the next signallized intersection to U-turn. (Parkside on the west, Conestogo/Colby on the east) My hope is that they eventually add green circle "U-Turn Allowed" signs to those intersections.
If I am heading toward the spur, there is no U-Turn until the traffic lights now or 85 going south. Concrete curve stops U-turn before the crossing that wasn't there the last time was there.

I was expecting a U-Turn by the fire hall/opposite side of the spur, but surprised to see the sign not doing it. Like all ROW I have seen, U-Turn only at traffic lights and this applies to Northfield to gain access to 85 north.

As for the crossover at the mall, my impression from day one that there would be no concrete for it, unlike the ones that do for some reason. Easy to get at without concrete to fix any problems with it since it will be a busy one.

As for quality of service after X hours to be 30 minutes, whats the logic in building this LRT in the first place, as its far cheaper doing it with buses than LRT. Anything over 20 is a waste of resources as well cost. What is the goal for this line if quality of service is not there??

It also looks like the have all the proper signage along the right of way warning people about tracks crossing ther pat. The TTC and the city of Toronto should look at putting those in along Cherry Street and Queens Quay. If people know to treat it like a railroad they probably will..

Back