Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The community succeeded!

upload_2016-12-23_17-23-56.png

It's on the official map at
https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/light-rail-transit-lrt

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-23_17-23-56.png
    upload_2016-12-23_17-23-56.png
    658.1 KB · Views: 3,512

The stub line was always questionable....felt like a tourist tram line. Even worse it didn't even connect with Hunter GO. And I didn't think the numbers justified it. It was an ideological stub line...not based on any numbers. A bus shuttle every 5 minutes suffices.

A good compromise could be extending the B-Line to Eastgate and then north to Confed GO (plus Walmart which would add some trip generators from downtown). The Confed Go always felt like a natural terminus to me.

And then when there is funding to have the A-Line go up the mountain then the connection West Harbour can be built.

Or bring back the idea of an elevated Hamilton ICTS line!

In all seriousness, the spur made little sense as planned, and it being as short as it is, it would have extremely low ridership. A modern streetcar line from the waterfront all the way up to St. Joseph's Hospital, serving both GO stations would be a little bit better, or something that can do all that, and climb the Mountain via a tunnel to a major transit terminal at Mohawk College, reducing the number of HSR buses that go up and down the Mountain.

I'd also much rather see the eastern terminus at Eastgate or at the Centennial Parkway GO Station, and the western terminus at University Plaza or in Downtown Dundas.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last night Steve Paiken said today's Agenda episode will have a section dedicated to Hamilton LRT, as well as more general GTHA transit stuff.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-12_11-49-23.png
    upload_2017-1-12_11-49-23.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 540
  • upload_2017-1-12_12-25-25.png
    upload_2017-1-12_12-25-25.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 525
I've been seeing that a proposal is to spend the money that would have gone to the spur line instead going towards the A-Line express bus.

This makes sense as a medium-term solution, as it would connect the airport, Mohawk College, St. Joseph's Hospital, both GO stations, and the waterfront. But service will have to be more frequent, with bus lanes or queue-jumps where necessary, operating at all service hours. If done right, it could really strengthen the bus network on the Mountain. The 501 Queen Zum could be a good model.

Darn it you are making me very very curious! Project still on track for procurement process to start in 2017?
Yes. It begins as early as this month, and lasts for approximately 18 months.

I've been seeing that a proposal is to spend the money that would have gone to the spur line instead going towards the A-Line express bus.

This makes sense as a medium-term solution, as it would connect the airport, Mohawk College, St. Joseph's Hospital, both GO stations, and the waterfront. But service will have to be more frequent, with bus lanes or queue-jumps where necessary, operating at all service hours. If done right, it could really strengthen the bus network on the Mountain. The 501 Queen Zum could be a good model.
Now that TheSpec is discussing this; I need to mention what I hear is that this isn't the ONLY option / added item.

This is 100% unsubstantiated speculation, but it could be even a confirmation/commitment of B-Line LRT extension to Eastgate, and/or an exact date for all-day 2-way GO to Hunter instead of West Harbour (e.g. CP negotiation success?) and/or other major items.

2017 will be a very dramatic year for Hamilton transit politics.

Last edited:
I'd hope re-instating the B-Line to Eastgate Square would be the first alternative considered.

Here's another alternative: follow through on the provincie's original commitment to implement revenue tools and raise enough money to build the whole A-Line.

The stub line was always questionable....felt like a tourist tram line. Even worse it didn't even connect with Hunter GO. And I didn't think the numbers justified it. It was an ideological stub line...not based on any numbers. A bus shuttle every 5 minutes suffices.

A good compromise could be extending the B-Line to Eastgate and then north to Confed GO (plus Walmart which would add some trip generators from downtown). The Confed Go always felt like a natural terminus to me.

And then when there is funding to have the A-Line go up the mountain then the connection West Harbour can be built.
Actually, good news.

Several of us have some information that pro-LRT residents will probably like the alternatives. Keep tuned for 2 weeks.

Ignore the clickbait headline.

Also:
CBC: Procurement Process for Hamilton LRT will start as early as this month
Interesting...looking forward to seeing what happens here.

How does a stop at the Delta help someone who lives at Gage North and Beach Ave, who might not be able to afford a car, get to the LRT quickly and efficiently?
How does and elderly person with mobility issues who lives at Gage & Cumberland get to the LRT stop at The Delta?

This 'Gage Park' stop should have been placed at Gage & King, not The Delta. There's no chance for a north-south connector bus at The Delta. That location doesn't help the people at Gage & Beach / Cumberland.

This is what happens when politics rule transit planning rather than logic.

This is in fact a good news story.

The A-Line spur would have been mix in with traffic, which does not fit in with the City's vision of rapid transit.

The A-Line 'express' bus currently runs 7/8 empty outside of the McNab-Mohawk College stretch along the route.

This frees up money for a possible *crosses fingers* B-Line extension back to Eastgate as originally planned. This has been a very popular bit of feedback the City & Metrolinx has been receiving.

Either that or the money will be used to turn the current joke of an A-Line Express Bus route into a BRT-lite.
The A-Line today only runs 6am-10am, 3pm-7pm Mon-Fri. So that spur cash can turn it into a fully-operational BRT-lite in order to build ridership to make future LRT feasible (I've always said the Mohawk Rd LRT, or 'T-Line', should be second built).

All in all, we're happy here in the Hammer that the A-Line streetcar spur was scrapped :)

This is in fact a good news story.

The A-Line spur would have been mix in with traffic, which does not fit in with the City's vision of rapid transit.

The A-Line 'express' bus currently runs 7/8 empty outside of the McNab-Mohawk College stretch along the route.

This frees up money for a possible *crosses fingers* B-Line extension back to Eastgate as originally planned. This has been a very popular bit of feedback the City & Metrolinx has been receiving.
If this happens, I'm happy too. While I'd like an LRT to be built along James someday in the future -- I'd rather it wait until enough funding occurs to allow it to connect to at least Mohawk/StJoes. Eastgate is more important at this time, if Stoney Creek politics can be overcome.

I'd go with either:
- A-Line upgraded to frequent all-day 2-way rapid transit (transit priority & bus lanes), ala Brampton's Züm bus. And the B-Line extended to Eastgate.
....OR....
- LRT all the way from waterfront to Limeridge mall, with Mohawk/StJoe stops, with dedicated lines like B-Line (except the James St N section between Wilson & West Harbour GO).

This 'Gage Park' stop should have been placed at Gage & King, not The Delta.

That adjustment should have been made (and still needs to). To me, it's a separate problem than the Gage Park stop.

Also, Gage Park stop has other alternate benefits (interchange with future allstop Main 2-way bus, interchange with future accessible GagePark-MountainPark gondola). This can potentially help far more Hamiltonians as a whole. Merging Scott Park + Delta Station into one station would help far fewer, with the massively wide stop spacing.

Also, there are solutions as well to accomodate Cumberland residents. North-south bus routes need to be loops. To avoid loops, it becomes too short and uneconomical (even in 2041) to be single lines that terminates at waterfront & escarpment. So they have to become loops or L-shaped (e.g. Gage-Ottawa loop or Gage-Sherman loop).

A bus loop usually needs a terminus, or a selected end point where buses can begin/end service, or allow driver-changeovers. So this is an opportunity for Scott Park to be the terminus of a north-south bus loop; such buses could turn onto Cannon and then loop back to the Scott Park station via King.

Barring the Scott-to-Gage station move, I'd say, we ought to focus on moves that can be done forward to protect for north-south bus routes. One good example is we need to inform the City (at next PIC) that the Melbourne-Cannon or Lottridge-Cannon intersection, needs to accomodate a future Gage-Ottawa bus loop, or Gage-Sherman bus loop. Including turning-radius considerations and the safety considerations of running a bus route adjacent to the nearby school.

Last edited:

Back