News   Mar 28, 2024
 130     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

I wish it is as easy and put a shovel in the ground.

The GTAA has to create a new 30 year plan (or most likely a 2050 vision). The old one assumed a lot smaller planes (100 seats or less), different travel patterns and doesn't have the past 10+ years of changing airport mix around the GTA included (i.e. Porter and KW). It now also has the changing transit mix with the known commuters using transit (versus taxis and parking).

They have to re-design Pier G (and if they can keep Pier H) for these bigger planes. Also the deicing and runway capacities. They will also have to figure out how to move people around the terminal for connections (walk? Above the roof or tunneled transit?). Finally they have to figure out the parking and taxi requirements.

I would guess a 2+ year process. I'm guessing they are almost done.

But then the politicians and special interest groups will get involved. At the same time they will show what the future of the Pickering airport is. And the expected growth (or lack thereof) of Hamilton. The east will scream to stop their airport and the west will cry wanting more. So I'm guessing a year of back and forth after it is released before it can be made an official plan and shovels can be put in the ground.

When they do build Pier G, i hope that they extend the people mover to that area. Right now, you have a long walk to get to the far end of terminal 1 when you exit the people mover at that terminal because it stops at west end of the terminal.

From what i can tell this should be a simple extension. If you walk (right now) to the far end of terminal 1 where those piers G, H, and I were planned, you will see that the site is already cleared and empty. There is nothing but gravel and hence nothing to be demolished or relocated.

I'm well aware of the Master Plans and the time frames involved. Their first Master Plan was released around 1999 and the second around 2007, we are now well past the 8 year time frame between plans (third plan would be expected in 2015) and many of the assumptions made in 2007 have changed drastically since. For example the 2007 master plan expected pier g to be required around 2014, granted as stated air traffic patterns have changed.

The 2007 master plan also projected for a additional link train station to be built along with pier H, and the need for an airside terminal link has been brought up in annual meetings.

The whole idea of these master plans when GTAA took over control of Pearson was to have things on the shelf ready to go when demand warrants and not wait until things are terrible before beginning the 2+ years planning process the 5+ years construction.

What I'm saying is that this new master plan should already have been released, not "we are still working on it.".

Does anyone know where the Samsung Note7 exchange kiosk is? Terminal 1 or 3 or before/after security?

I saw a kiosk for Samsung in T3. Outside of security. I dont know if its the same one you are asking about. I also dont know is there is the same in T1.

It all seem eminently supportable.

Recommendation 1
The Federal Government of Canada should move to enhance GTAA investments in a multi
-modal hub by providing significant cost sharing of transit projects undertaken by the Province of
Ontario and the cities of Toronto and Mississauga to connect a multi-modal hub at Toronto
Pearson.

Recommendation 2
In order to reinstate acceptable security screening service levels, Toronto Pearson
requires anadditional allocation of $20 million in CATSA funding annually
for additional officers in order tomeet a standard processing time of 95
per cent of passengers in 10 minutes.

Recommendation 3
CATSA requires an estimated $25-30 million one
-time investment to install CATSA Plus at all
screening points at Toronto Pearson.
Additionally, the GTAA will invest upwards of an
estimated $30 million cost to retrofit the facilities to accommodate this new technology
that will enable CATSA to significantly improve passenger throughput at every screening lane.

Recommendation 4
In addition to accommodating the largest passenger growth sectors, international passengers,
Toronto Pearson requires $5 million annually
in funding for additional CBSA offic
ers. This wouldallow CBSA to meet a standard of
screening 90 per cent of passengers in 20 minutes or less at
all times of day, including peak hours.

Recommendation 5
The Federal Government should move to create a made-in
-Canada solution for connecting and
international passenger processing by joining those countries that
only require a visa or eTA for passengers from high-risk countries transiting through an airport
and no such requirement for passengers from other countries.

Recommendation 6
The Federal Government of Canada should work with
the provinces to introduce dual shop duty free stores
and arrivals duty free at Canadian airports

Of note is that the report appears mostly agnostic on what transit solutions it seeks.

Though a careful reading implies (to me)they would like access to RER and to the K-W market via rail.

Of note is that the report appears mostly agnostic on what transit solutions it seeks.

Though a careful reading implies (to me)they would like access to RER and to the K-W market via rail.

They had a report (very fluffy) earlier in the year to support a transit hub northeast of the airport near the tracks. With connections to GO, Finch LRT, Eglinton LRT, Mississauga BRT, etc. No money of course... the province/feds to pay for everything

They had a report (very fluffy) earlier in the year to support a transit hub northeast of the airport near the tracks. With connections to GO, Finch LRT, Eglinton LRT, Mississauga BRT, etc. No money of course... the province/feds to pay for everything
I have been told and what I have seen over the last year or so, the transit hub is at the south-east area by terminal 1

Need to build a Wye at the rail corridor that should happen day one to allow KW-London DMU trains to service the airport as well UPX.

In fact, the Ministry of Transportation in 2008 & 2010 wanted this Wye, since it would service more riders than the UPX.

Buried somewhere in one of the document released by the GTAA recently is that a new Master Plan will be released at some point in 2017. So hopefully construction on Pier G can begin in lat 2017, early 2018.

The Canadian Aviation News writeup linked to the Pearson Connects document which describes a tiny bit about the transit hub component:

https://www.torontopearson.com/uplo.../Regional_Growth/PearsonConnects_20160225.pdf
In the long-term, consideration should be given to the role of the Metrolinx-operated Kitchener GO train line, which runs approximately 3 kilometres to the north-east of the Toronto Pearson terminals, and could provide heavy rail integration either directly at a transit hub or through an airport-controlled people mover.
How about we start with a direct shuttle bus between Malton GO and Pearson (no, schlepping out under the line, through the International Centre and over to the far side of Airport Road doesn't count) and see where that goes.

Back