News   Apr 23, 2024
 96     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 975     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Has anyone realize what this bend means???

Its very clear to me that this is a setup to joint the 2 white elephant subway AKA Sheppard Extension and the Scarborough extension to form a one line running from Sheppard/Yonge to Kipling where every 2nd/3rd train is turn back at Kennedy going east. Malvern continue to get screw.

Just think how much more bus service could be put on the road in place of this new loop.

Time someone run against Glen and replace him in 2018, as he loves spending money left and right when we don't have it. Since he claims to ride his bike to work, how often will he use transit or these white elephants??

I don't think people realize what this means if they put the blame solely on Glen DeBaermaker. He is just a foot soldier working for Brad Duguid and the Liberal Party.
We've gone through 3mayors and transit is still a mess. People need to realize the the common factor is that the provincial government has been orchestrating this mess.

I don't think people realize what this means if they put the blame solely on Glen DeBaermaker. He is just a foot soldier working for Brad Duguid and the Liberal Party.
We've gone through 3mayors and transit is still a mess. People need to realize the the common factor is that the provincial government has been orchestrating this mess.

I said years ago, the Scarborough liberal caucus was planning for this to happen.

Has anyone realize what this bend means???

Its very clear to me that this is a setup to joint the 2 white elephant subway AKA Sheppard Extension and the Scarborough extension to form a one line running from Sheppard/Yonge to Kipling where every 2nd/3rd train is turn back at Kennedy going east. Malvern continue to get screw.

Just think how much more bus service could be put on the road in place of this new loop.

Time someone run against Glen and replace him in 2018, as he loves spending money left and right when we don't have it. Since he claims to ride his bike to work, how often will he use transit or these white elephants??
As I was saying...

LMAO! The Sheppard east creep is real. "The big bend" is designed to go to north of STC, and then Progres... Don't say I didn't warn you guys this would happen. This is totally leading into the "we need to close the gap so finish Sheppard" argument. The city and province will cave on that too.

Okay, but you guys have to see the play here: By bending the subway west, this makes Sheppard more viable because all the riders will be dumped off at progres, at which time the city will be forced to build a station on progres west of STC, so then it becomes "why not finish sheppard rather then have a reverse stub?" Genius play by Glenn, great politics but bad planning and blatant dishonesty.

They should go back to the SRT alignment, pay up for sheppard like Wisla said and extend the subway to Malvern. At least make this work for all of Scarborough, like hopkins says.

Exactly.

To start off, both Glen and Thompson had the chance almost 10 years ago to get the subway built to STC for $1 Billion to replace the SRT when they first server on the TTC Commission and voted against the plan. Today we are nearing the $4 Billion Mark.

If the Province had given Metrolinx the power to override Municipality objection and change various transit plans that would benefit everyone, Sheppard LRT would be built and the completion of the SRT conversion to LRT and expansion would be a year from opening.

Queen Park needs to get out of bed with various developers and members of their party to build the wrong system in the wrong place to win seats or gain funds.

If Metrolinx wasn't a wimp and allow the SRT to be converted as plan, the LRT line would be open today as original plan.

I still say building Tory SmartTrack in place of the subway or LRT to Malvern along the LRT route as an EMU line. it would service Scarborough a whole lot better for less money as well doing something neither the subway or LRT will every do.

Can someone make a Sheppard east subway map based on the new bend
I think it would look similar to various Agincourt-to-STC alignments we have seen in the past.

Honestly, if we are gonna connect the two, then the new bend is pretty ideal. Albeit, Malvern will be damned (at least we could extend Crosstown East to Malvern, and the shorter Sheppard bus line could be made more frequent), Centennial College would still receive no rapid transit service, and it will still be a stupidly costly choice of transit expansion priorities.

Funny thing is, looking at Google Maps, I bet that Kennedy and Sheppard/Agincourt has the potential to outpace growth in STC. We can built an entire Agincourt Town Centre over the Agincourt Mall.

I find it bizarre that they would even entertain the idea of using any route except the current SRT. They could save themselves $2 billion and use those savings to extend the line elevated all the way to Malvern. There are no stops between STC and Kennedy so they don't have to worry about potential new riders along the route so they should be getting it to STC as cheap as possible. This of course also has the added benefits of taking less than half the amount of time to build and having no road disruptions unlike tunneling both of which greatly reduce the potential of cost over runs ala the Spadina extension.

Considering Tory and Scarborough councillors profess to being concerned about value for the dollar and "respect" for taxpayers, the notion that would even consider anything but the cheapest route is hypocritical and irresponsible in the extreme.

I'm still puzzled how a residents' association would come to favour this arrangement, and where the insufferable construction impact will be.

The 'bend' proposal moves the tunnelling from directly under McCowan to under around Stoneglen road....worse for those in the residential areas. There is a ton of empty parking lot land at STC to place an insertion shaft. (I'm guesing the tunnel would be dug north to south, so the tailings come out close to the 401 and so that tunnelling doesn't conflict with all the other excavation work that will be going on at Kennedy station)

Am I missing something?

- Paul

They may as well go up Brimley at this point, if preserving the existing Kennedy and Scarborough Centre stop locations is the goal.

If extending the Sheppard subway to the Town Centre is a motivating factor for the "big bend" they could still accomplish this per such an alignment with even a St George style interchange likely.

Can someone make a Sheppard east subway map based on the new bend

I think it would look similar to various Agincourt-to-STC alignments we have seen in the past.

Honestly, if we are gonna connect the two, then the new bend is pretty ideal. Albeit, Malvern will be damned (at least we could extend Crosstown East to Malvern, and the shorter Sheppard bus line could be made more frequent), Centennial College would still receive no rapid transit service, and it will still be a stupidly costly choice of transit expansion priorities.

Funny thing is, looking at Google Maps, I bet that Kennedy and Sheppard/Agincourt has the potential to outpace growth in STC. We can built an entire Agincourt Town Centre over the Agincourt Mall.

This would be interlined with Sheppard. Sheppard get's interlined with the Vaughan extension. The intention is to go from VCC to Kipling via Scarborough Center. long route by any means. I wonder how a St.George/ Eglinton style station would be done if they used the STC route?

I'm still puzzled how a residents' association would come to favour this arrangement, and where the insufferable construction impact will be.

The 'bend' proposal moves the tunnelling from directly under McCowan to under around Stoneglen road....worse for those in the residential areas. There is a ton of empty parking lot land at STC to place an insertion shaft. (I'm guesing the tunnel would be dug north to south, so the tailings come out close to the 401 and so that tunnelling doesn't conflict with all the other excavation work that will be going on at Kennedy station)

Am I missing something?

- Paul
This is called small scale lobbying. That's all. Like the sheppard extension group during the election.

No kidding, the Agincourt area has the potential to be served by two RER lines and a rapid transit line on Sheppard. It is in every way a better location than Scarborough centre.
The CP corridor is also the best way to serve Malvern. Too bad it's not something that can happen in the foreseeable future yet.

To start off, both Glen and Thompson had the chance almost 10 years ago to get the subway built to STC for $1 Billion to replace the SRT when they first server on the TTC Commission and voted against the plan. Today we are nearing the $4 Billion Mark.
Back then, I don't think they realized the hatred for the transfer. Plus, David Miller was popular and strong so they followed along.
If the Province had given Metrolinx the power to override Municipality objection and change various transit plans that would benefit everyone, Sheppard LRT would be built and the completion of the SRT conversion to LRT and expansion would be a year from opening.
First thing, it was the Liberals who created Metrolinx and wanted it to work for the Liberal Party, and not for transit in general.
Second thing is that we have no idea what plan would have been done. I understand that Metrolinx actually liked the combine ECLRT/SRT plan best, but they were forced to adopt Miller's plan in 2009. Then when Ford came in they were happy for the combined plan, but worried about switching to Mark II vehicles and redesign of underground Eglinton.
Queen Park needs to get out of bed with various developers and members of their party to build the wrong system in the wrong place to win seats or gain funds.
Will never happen, especially the group at QP.
If Metrolinx wasn't a wimp and allow the SRT to be converted as plan, the LRT line would be open today as original plan.
Like I said, this was not there preferred plan. It would have been the combined ECLRT/SRT with Mark II
I still say building Tory SmartTrack in place of the subway or LRT to Malvern along the LRT route as an EMU line. it would service Scarborough a whole lot better for less money as well doing something neither the subway or LRT will every do.
Yes, it would, but Metrolinx (i.e. Liberals) won't give up track space for a plan that would give the credit to Tory.

I'd rather consider a subway route straight up Brimley, with the station just east of Brimley and north of the current SRT route. That would make the tunnel at least 500 m shorter (perhaps as much as 800 m shorter), and the saving from that should be more than enough to build the new bus terminal.

Furthermore, the LRT line along Progress, to Centennial College and Malvern, will remain a possibility. If such line is build, it can serve the current STC location as well as the current McCowan station.

Interestingly, the Brimley route does not preclude the linking between SSE and the Sheppard subway (as long as the new STC station is oriented N-S and allows for the subway extension north up Brimley). That's not my preferred network configuration for a number of reasons, but it won't be rendered impossible by choosing the Brimley route.

Last edited:
No kidding, the Agincourt area has the potential to be served by two RER lines and a rapid transit line on Sheppard. It is in every way a better location than Scarborough centre.
The CP corridor is also the best way to serve Malvern. Too bad it's not something that can happen in the foreseeable future yet.
With all the growth coming to the GTHA, Agincourt would be an ideal location for growth if our politicians force a Sheppard extension on us.

The CP corridor (Midtown Line) might be sooner than we think, if the Missing Link comes into play.

You should see the propaganda that they are sending to people's mailboxes.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 445
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 513

Back