Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I live in Ward 3 and -- apparently -- most of the building expropriations are in my ward. This is going to take some time to absorb, and figure out.

I have two schools of thought:
-- On one hand, this is an opportunity to create a good TOD corridor all the way from Downtown to Gage Park, complete with a full length Braille sidewalk and a perhaps a new BIA.
-- On the other hand, this is very socially disruptive, especially with pushing low-income families out. It is dreaded from this respect. I have a friend who likely will have part of their storefront expropriated. While they are pro-LRT but needs to get some definitive answers from the city, the way.

If lots of demolition is occuring, a lot of people, us included -- are going have to be loud about affordable housing also being included in the mix. My spouse is worried as well too. We're excited for LRT but our ward is going to be one of the more greatly affected ones, and there will need to be a lot of initiatives to compensate for that.

Yikes that's scary. I can't support tearing down dozens of historic structures for this project, and I wouldn't be alone, so they better figure that out quick before it turns some people off.

To tear down so much character and (hope it's) replaced with cookie cutter condo fronts that will look as much like Vaughan Metropolitan Centre as it would East End Hamilton is a shame.

I'm going to ask about that at next week's PIC

Yikes that's scary. I can't support tearing down dozens of historic structures for this project, and I wouldn't be alone, so they better figure that out quick before it turns some people off.

To tear down so much character and (hope it's) replaced with cookie cutter condo fronts that will look as much like Vaughan Metropolitan Centre as it would East End Hamilton is a shame.

I'm going to ask about that at next week's PIC
You should. I think what is going to happen is a mix -- character would be nice, not a wall of generic cookie cutter lowrise condos -- urban enhancements like trees, wider sidewalks, preserving what we are able to. I don't want to change the character of our neighborhood -- while I do want to see more thriving mom-n-pop business. Compromises may have to be made, such as moving heritage structures a few feet (at least facades thereof).

That said, this will also be very socially disruptive too as well, and that cannot be left unaddressed.

Really need to brainstorm. (As many Hamiltonians will need to).

^ Ma & Pa Shops don't/ can't open in new-build storefronts. Leases are often too expensive which is why Subway Sandwiches, Dollaramas or Banks open in these spots! Small, old storefronts are affordable and the exact type of character ppl expect from a rapid transit corridor.

You also make a hugely important point re: losing affordable housing. Those units above those stores, or even the walk-up apt bldg at King & Holton (slated for demo as per the report), are very affordable compared to newer apartments or condos. We can't afford to lose those spaces!

Mark - pls contact Matt Green about this issue. I don't think anyone has looked at the plans as closely as they should and when I tweeted Matt earlier he seemed to be surprised by the planned demolitions.

Last edited:
LRT opponents are getting desperate:

LRT-sign.jpg

LRT opponents are getting desperate:

LRT-sign.jpg

So sad. What they neglect to mention is that a bus route will run along Main St with all the normal stops the 1 King currently uses along Main.

Distance between King & Main is anywhere between 90m - 500m, which is a 1-to-6 min walk.

LRT cash not available for other projects: McMeekin

McMeekin, parliamentary assistant to Premier Kathleen Wynne and a former cabinet minister, dismissed recent suggestions by light rail transit opponents that the city could negotiate a different use for the cash, such as express buses or tackling the city's infrastructure repair backlog.

Read more:
http://m.thespec.com/news-story/6893042-lrt-cash-not-available-for-other-projects-mcmeekin

That's your Brampton warning, folks.

That's your Brampton warning, folks.

That's exactly what the NoLRT people want, to delay the project into oblivion.
The people who say BRT is the better option are also those who campaigned to remove the King St Bus Lane a few years back.

No one buys their claims, and everyone sees right through them which is why they aren't taken seriously.

There are real concerns with this plan, such as station spacing and location (I'm sure everyone knows my Gage Ave vs Scott Park opinions) as well as the potential loss of dozens of historic or unique buildings along the route due to re-aligning King St.

This shows at least six historic or unique structures on the south side of King St, just west of Wentworth, slated to be torn down to make room for a platform:

IMG_6161.PNG

Thanks to Google Streetview, this is what would be lost (the smallest one of the left has recently had that 60s façade removed to reveal beautiful TD Bank Branch):

IMG_6164.PNG

Edit Just took this now. Sorry for lighting, the sun wasn't on my team:

IMG_6186.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6161.PNG
    IMG_6161.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_6164.PNG
    IMG_6164.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 465
  • IMG_6186.JPG
    IMG_6186.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 449
Last edited:
No kidding, it does seem Wentworth-King southern side (and the corner buildings) are going to need to be expropriated to make room for the Wentworth station.

Asking others who ARE familiar with THAT intersection -- I am encoutnering very mixed opinion on this -- it is a very depressed block and could use a refresh, according to many. There are those who would like to see the rundown buildings gone -- but on the other hand many (even residents) are wanting an opportunity to refresh. I admit I'm mixed. (In a similar vein, many people were mixed about RHVP plans, but wanted it built anyway. Big benefits for the general public and the City as a whole, etc.).

Now, I am seeing heritage buildings at big risk. Ouch. At least, it does appear they are trying to save most buildings on one side of the street for this intersection (North edge). So a full block of facade (except for a couple of corner buildings) is at least being saved.

I don't think this is an area we can use advocacy to prevent, even Scott Park-versus-Gage Park is a more doable advocacy.

P.S. Final feedback October 6th. Submit yours! https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/community-engagement-lrt

Back