News   Apr 23, 2024
 508     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 390     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 636     0 

The Fountains Of Toronto

A few dogs were enjoying the pan am village splash pad on Sunday :)

IMG_20160619_154452.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160619_154452.jpg
    IMG_20160619_154452.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,188
The work on retiling the Salmon Run Fountain at Rogers Centre/CN Tower proceeds (rather slowly). It should just about be finished for the first frost. Looks quite good actually but I wish it was working properly, it is fantastic when it is.

The work on retiling the Salmon Run Fountain at Rogers Centre/CN Tower proceeds (rather slowly). It should just about be finished for the first frost. Looks quite good actually but I wish it was working properly, it is fantastic when it is.

Walked by today and it's working (hopefully not just temporarily for Canada 150).

For several months people in St Lawrence have been asking why the fountain at The Esplanade and Berkeley is not working. It turns out that the 'fountain pit' is filled with water due to the high lake level and, until the pit can drain, the fountain can't be turned on.

There's a large fountain in front of my building and of course, this being Toronto, after 3 years, it's leaking to the garage below and has been shut down indefinitely. What is it with this city and fountains? It can't just be our weather. There are plenty of cold cities with functional fountains (i.e. Chicago). I'm beginning to become convinced that there are only a handful of fountain installers in Toronto who just happen to suck at building lasting fountains. Sort of like our frequent elevator disruptions and long waits for repairs.

Last edited:
1.jpg

This thread hasnt been opened in a while, and since the last post this fountain has opened.

Any other fountains built recently, under construction or proposed?

I know the Cloud Gardens fountain is closed as they renovate, does anyone know if they plan on upgrading it when it opens?

1.jpg

This thread hasnt been opened in a while, and since the last post this fountain has opened.

Any other fountains built recently, under construction or proposed?

I know the Cloud Gardens fountain is closed as they renovate, does anyone know if they plan on upgrading it when it opens?
Almost all city fountains (or water features) have not been turned on in 2020 due to staffing during covid. Apparently some may be activated in next few weeks.

There is a quite nice water feature in Grange Park (look at that thread) and I assumed the Cloud Garden feature would reappear but have not seen any plans for that whole Park. The City website says:

Brookfield Properties owns the parking structure below the park and will replace the waterproofing during the construction of their new building on the west side of the park.

During construction of the new building, the conservatory, the waterfall, elevated walkways and terraces will not be removed. Key park elements like the steel arbours will be kept and stored and the artwork by Margaret Priest and Tony Sherman on the east building wall will not be removed.

Once the new building immediately west of the park is completed and the waterproofing for the park is replaced, the park will be reinstated.

Cloud Gardens may be returned to its original design with some changes to meet current codes and standards, or it may be significantly updated to meet the needs of the city. Community consultation will determine which option is preferred.

The City is working with the Financial District BIA to look at ways to better maintain and program the renewed park, and is also working cross-divisionally to ensure the public realm of Temperance Street is integrated and coherent with the refreshed design of Cloud Gardens.

Very interesting thread. I can't remember the last time I saw a single functioning fountain. I came across this thread as I was looking for information about that seems to have been an old fountain located at the south end of Queen's park. Does anyone have any information about that? It looks to be overgrown and probably hasn't been a fountain since before I was born (40 years ago!)

Very interesting thread. I can't remember the last time I saw a single functioning fountain. I came across this thread as I was looking for information about that seems to have been an old fountain located at the south end of Queen's park. Does anyone have any information about that? It looks to be overgrown and probably hasn't been a fountain since before I was born (40 years ago!)

Not familiar enough with the grounds - an image would be helpful!

AoD

Back