News   Mar 28, 2024
 193     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 607     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 370     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

That's because the card reader doesn't know what route/direction it's on. It just knows (with some bugs) where it is. Every other transit system has times transfers. The TTC with Presto essentially has timed transfers on all surface routes and one-way transfers on the subway.
Except that they have made sure that you can't quickly take the same route twice. I certainly saw this during the school year, when my wife would take 2-3 trips every AM shuttling kids back and forth.

Can you provide them again with a screencap of the transaction summary?
Read up the thread. Or here's a new one.

First trip was on 503 East to Queen/Broadview. Second was a transfer to a 504 north up to Gerrard/Broadview. But at Gerrard/Broadview, I got on a eastbound 506, but instead of a free transfer, I got dinged for a new trip beginning at Queen/Connaught.

CpYg9dvVUAAScnH.jpg:large

Except that they have made sure that you can't quickly take the same route twice. I certainly saw this during the school year, when my wife would take 2-3 trips every AM shuttling kids back and forth.

First trip was on 503 East to Queen/Broadview. Second was a transfer to a 504 north up to Gerrard/Broadview. But at Gerrard/Broadview, I got on a eastbound 506, but instead of a free transfer, I got dinged for a new trip beginning at Queen/Connaught.

This why I just tap on and get a transfer, I don't trust the system to properly charge a $0 fare on a transfer tap.

I might think you took the 501 again (both on Queen St!). If you found out right away, the reloading machine would show what route presto says you took last (I know it tells you about your last bus routes. Not sure about streetcars). I really don't like how that doesn't appear on the website. It would be some much easier to figure out what the transfer didn't work.

This why I just tap on and get a transfer, I don't trust the system to properly charge a $0 fare on a transfer tap.
I'm trying to be a guinea pig this month. I"m actually up a fare for the month as a whole, as if I'd been using tokens, once I look at the errors for the month as a whole.

I certainly see a lot of people tapping at transfer points.

And I guess I could take an empty Presto card on the streetcar and not use it. And then show the POP people the empty card and they'll never know the difference.

And I guess I could take an empty Presto card on the streetcar and not use it. And then show the POP people the empty card and they'll never know the difference.

Nope the fare inspectors have the same inspection device that go transit and the UPX inspectors have that can scan a presto card and see if you have paid a fare. If they see you haven't paid a fare they will write you a ticket.

It seems easier to just load passes onto the card to not have to worry about balances or transfer overcharges.
Yup and you will be able to do that with the TTC in January if they keep up with the current plans. Although I would still keep a balance on my card in case I need to use the go train or UP Express.

The autoload feature with Presto is pretty useful if you aren't travelling enough to justify a metropass. You just set it to reload a certain amount when your balance drops below $20 (you can use a higher minimum than that), and as long as your credit card doesn't reject the reload you have no issues.

The autoload feature with Presto is pretty useful if you aren't travelling enough to justify a metropass. You just set it to reload a certain amount when your balance drops below $20 (you can use a higher minimum than that), and as long as your credit card doesn't reject the reload you have no issues.

Actually to add on to that the reload min has been lowered to $5 (its been a while since it was $20)

Actually to add on to that the reload min has been lowered to $5 (its been a while since it was $20)

Don't go with $5. If you forget to tap-out and your balance goes below $0 during the "Auto Tap-Out Adjust" event, the Autoload fails and you need to see customer service to get it unlocked. Sucks if you're trying to board a bus and now find you need to pay for your ticket with cash.

I've reproduced this issue on several different Presto cards but Presto Support didn't seem very interested (several messages back and forth and I'm certain they didn't bother trying to reproduce it).

Anyway, $10 minimum balance seems to be a safe level to keep your Bank of Presto card functioning.

The way it braeks down is thath 4^ out of the $20 is the presto activation fee. TTC fare is based on token price for Presto so it's about $2.90
But if you use it enough (a card where you took 32 trips in a 32-day period, you get the tax credit, so the price per TTC trip is only $2.47 not $2.90.

So after 14 trips, you recover the $6.

Back