Toronto FourFifty The Well | 157.4m | 46s | RioCan Living | a—A

Developers don't care about this city and how it looks, only care about their bottom line. Frankly the politicians and many others in this city don't care so why should they?

The degree to which doom is now being predicted on this thread is a tad over-the-top.

Agreed. I'm actually more excited about this project more than ever now that Tridel is involved. They are arguably the best builder in terms of quality. As long as this isn't as ugly as what they did with Reve, I'm buying here.

Developers don't care about this city and how it looks, only care about their bottom line. Frankly the politicians and many others in this city don't care so why should they?

Correct. They don't care. Foreign/off-shore/local investors coupled with the real estate sales and marketing industry have jacked up the price of land, vacant or otherwise, to the point where only massive, high-density high-rise towers make sense to build using cheaper and poorer quality materials to post any sort of profit. It's partly developers' fault; it's partly investors' fault; the real estate sales industry; politicians; and so forth.

There's no crash in the foreseeable future so grey spandrel crap and precast brick panels crap with be with us for awhile. Going Lady Gaga over renderings is pointless. Just see what's being built, generally.

Our only hope for really nice buildings is in Yorkville where they can still push up the price-per-unit and use better materials. The Railway lands/West Don Lands/East Bayfront/and now here all are cheap, cheap, cheap looking buildings for investors save a few minor gems.

Normally, they are a very good builder with great designed building.
I trust them to make something nice there.
The only project i hate from Tridel is Alter condos .

The only project i hate from Tridel is Alter condos .
There are plenty of disappointments to choose from with Tridel why stop there? Parc Nuvo at Essex, 300 Front Street, Accolaide, Argento are all examples of just a handful their ever growing list of unimpressive developments.

Tridel is a very good builder. But when it comes to well-designed, high quality buildings....they are putrid.

There are plenty of disappointments to choose from with Tridel why stop there? Parc Nuvo at Essex, 300 Front Street, Accolaide, Argento are all examples of just a handful their ever growing list of unimpressive developments.

Yes you right,but for me Alter is by far the worst because there is no harmony in the design at all.
The color are not well chosen.
I hope they will build something beautiful and i trust them.
For exemple, 10 york street is very beautiful for me.
For me, they are better than a lot of bad developers in Toronto.

It looks like Toronto will continue to be a middle of the road kind of place, architecturally speaking, for as long as market forces dictate. A lot of cities would salivate for a few crumbs of what Toronto has in abundance. To raise the style bar, the city could commit a formal heresy of allowing more height for better design and product, but then someone still has to be the arbiter of good taste.

I guess the theory might be, if you are allowed a higher return on your property investment, through a planning step, some of it might be directed to a pricier product, be it in design or high quality materials. Lenser, you're right though, higher height alone doesn't equate to much, as we've seen.

9 months to groundbreaking? Glad to hear that, this is one of the most promising projects at the moment, looking forward to it starting.

Back