1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Jasonzed's myDrone Activity of Toronto and Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really great stuff; thanks for continuing to post. Thinking of getting one myself and wondering what rules/regulations you abide by and if you've ever been questioned by officials of any sort whilst flying.

If I read the drone rules correctly, you don't need a permit for recreational use provided that the drone is less than 2kg - that right?

And I see Transport Canada lists a whole bunch of safety "recommendations", which seem to be guidelines rather than laws/regs and include a whole bunch of recs that are regularly not followed (such as not operating them near people or within 9 nautical miles of an airport...).

Really great stuff; thanks for continuing to post. Thinking of getting one myself and wondering what rules/regulations you abide by and if you've ever been questioned by officials of any sort whilst flying.

If I read the drone rules correctly, you don't need a permit for recreational use provided that the drone is less than 2kg - that right?

And I see Transport Canada lists a whole bunch of safety "recommendations", which seem to be guidelines rather than laws/regs and include a whole bunch of recs that are regularly not followed (such as not operating them near people or within 9 nautical miles of an airport...).

You should get one...a lot of fun. I follow the guidelines as much as possible. I've never been approached by any official but I did use my drone to take a picture of a police event here in Mississauga; I sent them the pictures via TWITTER:)

I fly in parks, open fields, large parking lots, over water. I stay away from crowds, over highways, events, etc. Depending on the location and how much clearance I have, I usually go straight up and down. I stay away from flight paths and alike. If the drone approaches a restricted zone, the drone will warn you then stop and hover or limit how high you can go.

A lot of it is common sense. You have to be very mindful of where you are flying and what's around you. Sometimes you can get too caught up in the activity or over confident and that's when issues arise.

Awesome stuff. Thanks.

Am I right about the non-existent need for a permit for recreational use? I'm a bit confused by the mention of both 2kg and 35kg as the thresholds from different sources.

Awesome stuff. Thanks.

Am I right about the non-existent need for a permit for recreational use? I'm a bit confused by the mention of both 2kg and 35kg as the thresholds from different sources.
Right now you don't need a permit if the drone weights less than 2KG and it's used for recreational use only. All that may change come 2017 when Transport Canada puts forward new rules regarding all type of drones. You will probably need to register the drone, prove that you know how to fly it responsibly, and have insurance. There are companies that offer insurance for people who fly drones.

54cffcba-b903-4c05-950b-10b3ab743c18_zps9atmqmit.jpg

f254f804-4d19-41ee-a57c-caa701d08526_zps863tcxkr.jpg

7f009967-04f3-4f25-8511-ca3123543e5f_zpsxytlti43.jpg

4f55054e-8511-4f35-ac2f-2c14bcc302b2_zpssietklx0.jpg

is this humber bridge shot from june 25??
was down there that evening and saw a drone hovering around a couple hundred feet in the air.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back