News   Apr 23, 2024
 220     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 430     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Somewhere on this planet there is an LRT vehicle that will fit in the tunnel.

It would be extremely inexpensive to put out an RFI and shake the tree.
Yes! Yes!

We have a winner.

Though didn't I say something similar a few years ago in the SELRT thread?

Yes! Yes!

We have a winner.

you did. I did.. many pro lrt people did. I don't want to be held hostage by bombardier buying exclusive technology but I don't want to be held hostage by the subways subways subways crowd either. Id buy these and pray that another company builds something similar by the time I need to replace them.

Yes! Yes!

We have a winner.

Great. Let's have yet another proprietary and unique fleet for just one line.

Oh, and its high floor you say? Brilliant.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Great. Let's have yet another proprietary and unique fleet for just one line.
Oh, and its high floor you say? Brilliant.

Well, a proprietary product that is delivered is better than one that never arrives. We have yet to establish that the capital and operating cost of a second fleet of LRT would be prohibitive compared to the equivalent number of TR's plus Flexities..

And as to high floor - until we shake the tree, who can say for sure?

- Paul

Well, a proprietary product that is delivered is better than one that never arrives. We have yet to establish that the capital and operating cost of a second fleet of LRT would be prohibitive compared to the equivalent number of TR's plus Flexities..

One of the advantages of the "Transit City" network was that it used standardized, off-the-shelf equipment everywhere. In theory, the cars used in Ottawa could be used on any of the lines in Toronto - should they be built. It also wouldn't tie us in to Bombardier.

And as to high floor - until we shake the tree, who can say for sure?

- Paul

How else do you propose that the stations along the existing Sheppard Subway get serviced? If not high floor, then how long are we shutting down the line to retrofit it for low-floor cars? And to what cost?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How else do you propose that the stations along the existing Sheppard Subway get serviced? If not high floor, then how long are we shutting down the line to retrofit it for low-floor cars? And to what cost?
The platforms on Sheppard line are long enough you can upgrade half the platform at a time.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the platforms in the stations are hollow.

s0574_fl0046_id49676.jpg

s0381_fl0081_id7458-1.jpg

s0381_fl0102_id7952-2.jpg

s0381_fl0107_id8008-1.jpg

These photos are from when the Yonge subway was built.

They could work on the platforms that are not being used first, then work on the high-floor platforms over time while using the new lower platforms. They'll just have to lengthening the stairways and escalators, and deepen the elevator wells..

Last edited:

Back