News   Apr 16, 2024
 84     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 657     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 469     3 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

This as a vote-buying exercise so Tory can get the B-D extension passed. Unless upper levels of government paid for it all, a Sheppard extension has no chance of getting through council right now. Sheppard is NOT imminent.

As for the Sheppard LRT, I now declare it officially dead.

Somewhere on this planet there is an LRT vehicle that will fit in the tunnel.

It would be extremely inexpensive to put out an RFI and shake the tree.

- Paul

Has there ever been any discussion at all by Council to convert the Sheppard line to LRT?

If not, that implies it is a political non-starter, no matter how feasible or infeasible the engineering/technical solution is and what kind of creative ideas we have here.

So why are we do we keep talking about it here?

Has there ever been any discussion at all by Council to convert the Sheppard line to LRT?

If not, that implies it is a political non-starter, no matter how feasible or infeasible the engineering/technical solution is and what kind of creative ideas we have here.

Nope, but there is an ECA that costed it out to the tune of 500M. It's doable (most things are). As to politics, it is what it is.

AoD

I strongly suspect it will become more of a topic of conversation after the Eglinton line opens. When people see that LRT trains can go from a tunnel to the surface without grinding to a halt, there will be a greater appetite for converting the subway. It's just a hard concept to explain to people, since the only sort-of example of this today is the QQ streetcar, which isn't a great one.

I really don't understand the revival of this idea. To push through a subway extension that is already unaffordable in Scarborough, Tory is pandering to the idea of another expensive subway extension on a line that isn't used? How is this not simply insane?

I really don't understand the revival of this idea. To push through a subway extension that is already unaffordable in Scarborough, Tory is pandering to the idea of another expensive subway extension on a line that isn't used? How is this not simply insane?
Welcome to Toronto.

I really thought that despite Tory's stubbornness with the SSE, it would never come to this. I was wrong, here we are.

He's going after ex-Ford voters. It's still a pretty sizeable voting block, and he knows that without a Ford challenger on the right, he's going to have a much harder time winning votes from left-of-centre, who will likely coalesce around a more traditional leftist candidate.

His abandonment of fact-based decision making in favour of decision-based fact making indicates a move to the right.

This as a vote-buying exercise so Tory can get the B-D extension passed. Unless upper levels of government paid for it all, a Sheppard extension has no chance of getting through council right now. Sheppard is NOT imminent.

As for the Sheppard LRT, I now declare it officially dead.

Welcome to Toronto.

I really thought that despite Tory's stubbornness with the SSE, it would never come to this. I was wrong, here we are.
He's going after ex-Ford voters. It's still a pretty sizeable voting block, and he knows that without a Ford challenger on the right, he's going to have a much harder time winning votes from left-of-centre, who will likely coalesce around a more traditional leftist candidate.

His abandonment of fact-based decision making in favour of decision-based fact making indicates a move to the right.
The mayor can street this through council. He's aiming for a package deal. There are other ways to buy off ex ford voters (taxes). He could have done any of those if he was not serious.

Order an LRT vehicle that is shorter and has a foldable pantograph.

This isn't rocket science. If Bombardier doesn't want to design a vehicle like that, than we can go to Siemans or some other company. As a major world city, we have bargaining power wherever we go with our order.

There are systems in the world that use both pantographs (as on the surface) and shoes (as on the subway), switching them as needed.

Somewhere on this planet there is an LRT vehicle that will fit in the tunnel.

It would be extremely inexpensive to put out an RFI and shake the tree.

- Paul

One doesnt have to look far.

http://primove.bombardier.com/applications/tram.html

The very Flexities we are buying come with an option for an induction charging method called "Primove" where the LRT's are powered through induction in the floor.

Low floor is possible because people cannot get electrocuted by it.

We wouldn't even have to re-tender, just request a % of the Flexity Freedoms come with this tech in them, and the associated costs.

This technology was adapted from the Scarborough RT induction tech that Bombardier bought out from the Ontario government.

Everything comes full circle.

It was noted in Council that Keesmaat's planning team directed to come up w/ best possible plan that included subway in Scarb, not the best plan overall (from Oliver Moore)

One doesnt have to look far.

http://primove.bombardier.com/applications/tram.html

The very Flexities we are buying come with an option for an induction charging method called "Primove" where the LRT's are powered through induction in the floor.

Low floor is possible because people cannot get electrocuted by it.

We wouldn't even have to re-tender, just request a % of the Flexity Freedoms come with this tech in them, and the associated costs.

This technology was adapted from the Scarborough RT induction tech that Bombardier bought out from the Ontario government.

Everything comes full circle.

hmm Bombardier..... CLICK...... haha

Back