Toronto OCAD U: Rosalie Sharp Pavilion | ?m | 3s | OCADU | Bortolotto

This looks really great, minus the Dundas/McCaul corner. I don't like how the curved facade abruptly ends and turns into straight lines where the glazing is. Some supple edges around the glass would look better.

Not just the plaza, but I'm wondering what happened to the Dundas West revitalization that was planned for this stretch. Delayed? A victim of the Rob Ford years? The hideous streetscape on Dundas is unacceptable for such an important area. It's the opposite of Queen's Quay - showpiece architecture surrounded by an awful public realm.

Last edited:
Dundas St. West revitalization

Not just the plaza, but I'm wondering what happened to the Dundas West revitalization that was planned for this stretch. Delayed? A victim of the Rob Ford years? The hideous streetscape on Dundas is unacceptable for such an important area. It's the opposite of Queen's Quay - showpiece architecture surrounded by an awful public realm.

I'm totally agree with you . Dundas St West revitalization is long overdue. What a shame...

Super exciting, and interesting that it's much more than had originally been rumoured/announced (from that Globe article):

"The largest component will be a renovation and addition to the building at 100 McCaul St., an undistinguished modernist slab built in 1957 that “has long needed an upgrade” of its mechanical systems and spaces, Ms. Diamond said. About 55,000 square feet will be added to this building, while the adjacent 1920 Reid Building, which faces Grange Park, will be renovated to open up to the green space. (The park itself, which is owned by the AGO, is getting a redesign now.) OCAD University has not yet hired architects to start a detailed design for 100 McCaul.

Another visible element of the project will be the Centre for Experiential Learning, at the corner of Dundas and McCaul streets. This project, announced last year, will be redesigned by Toronto architectural firm Bortolotto with a curtain-like form along its main facades."

The article does note, though, that OCAD hasn't yet raised the $15 million they need to fund the project(s), so who knows when this'll actually commence.

A new thread has been started for 100 McCaul, at this link.

Let's keep this one to the Rosalie Sharp Pavilion transformation! Apparently it will be going ahead in two months time, with the rest of the Creative City Campus Project dependent on further fundraising.

This is an administration building. No classes take place in it, it does not house studios, I think they just want to give it a facelift and increase their presence on Dundas next to the AGO

This is an administration building. No classes take place in it, it does not house studios, I think they just want to give it a facelift and increase their presence on Dundas next to the AGO

if the intention is to increase the presence, then that will achieve the goal. I walked past that intersection hundreds of times and never paid two seconds of attention to that dreadful building. I didn't even know it was a OCAD building, just thought it was one of those whatever nondescript buildings along Dundas West.

It would cost a lot of money to put a vertical addition on it.

Exactly, office of the registrar is in there, there is a cashier for fees and accounts, also where you go to convert real money into OCAD money etc.

Back