Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

No... if the "short" DRL (to Pape Station) is only phase 1. The DRL should continue with phase 2 (to Eglinton) followed by phase 3 (to Sheppard), etc..
In a perfect world they're build all three sections at once =/

Considering how long a subway takes to build, waiting for one section to finish before another starts will see the line finished in like 30 years =/

In a perfect world they're build all three sections at once =/

Considering how long a subway takes to build, waiting for one section to finish before another starts will see the line finished in like 30 years =/
I secretly hope that the RL to just Eglinton is revealed to not provide enough relief, so we can go to Sheppard all in one phase.

Not like tunneling under Don Mills is that expensive. This isn't downtown Toronto.

I secretly hope that the RL to just Eglinton is revealed to not provide enough relief, so we can go to Sheppard all in one phase.

Not like tunneling under Don Mills is that expensive. This isn't downtown Toronto.

We know from TTCs DTRES that the relief line to Eglinton provides virtually zero additional Yonge relief. The part of the the relief line that provides meaningful Yonge relief is the section between Eglinton and Sheppaed.

To save money and time. there is a lot of space for an above ground alignment north of Eglinton, and especially north of Sheppard if it were to be extended to Finch, Seneca, or Steeles.

To save money and time. there is a lot of space for an above ground alignment north of Eglinton, and especially north of Sheppard if it were to be extended to Finch, Seneca, or Steeles.
If this was an LRT, maybe.

Elevated can be quite costly too, and to reach Eglinton we will already need to have tunnel boring machines in the ground anyway. Rather than throwing them out for scrap metal, we could just have them tunnel all the way to Sheppard.

Might be able to fit a surface subway situation, similar to Allen Rd, between Sheppard and York Mills (36 metre right of way on Don Mills). South of there must be grade separated. Remember that the pillars for elevation take up road space, perhaps as much space as a surface LRT. Realistically, underground is the only option for Don Mills. Planners and residents will be none to pleased with disrupting a stable residential neighbourhood with elevated subway.

Short extensions are more easily committed to that whole subway lines. Would I like it to go further, of course, but with any kind of DRL there is increased chances of further extensions. With no Queen subway or DRL we are in the study phase that has been mentioning these possibilities for as long as I can remember. If we hold out for the full build of what was proposed in the 1973 transit plan we could be waiting another 50 years for the funding to be there all at once. Build a few stations, what ever can be afforded, and just get started.

The full length of the DRL from Spadina to Steeles needs to be built as one project, but open in phases.

Phase 1 to Danforth with Eglinton as phase 2 follow by Sheppard as phase 3 and Steeles as phase 4. You could break it down more with phase 4 being Finch and Steeles as 5. You could still have more phases and that needs to hapen from day one as to what they are.

Stopping DRL at Danforth offer no improvement to the Yonge Line. Eglinton will add some improvement, but taken up by new development around the Yonge station.

Again, if you extend the DRL to Hwy 7 at some future date, it would help the Yonge line.

If the plan for the SRT subway had remain to Sheppard, you could open that in phases as well.

I still say that this DRL needs to be built to handle DD trains and be Tram-Train. You could built a connect to the RH Line around Lawrence to allow the Tram-Train to use that line. Zurich has such a line as I proposed and my idea is based on that model using short trains.

If you want to be over built now with protection for future capacity needs, you built a box station that will support 10 cars, but only complete haft of it to support 5 cars now. The rest can be built at a later date as needed.

One needs to think where the yard will be and it could be under a development.

We know from TTCs DTRES that the relief line to Eglinton provides virtually zero additional Yonge relief. The part of the the relief line that provides meaningful Yonge relief is the section between Eglinton and Sheppaed.

If we spend the $500M to grade-separate ECLRT and run trains from STC to the DRL DM/Eg Station, then DRL to Eglinton would have provided a strong relief.

Instead, we decided to spend $1B to $2.5B extra on the B-D extension (depending on the number of stations and terminus**), which will make Y-B station worse and remove an incentive to build the DRL.

** - The connected SRT/ECLRT was a metrolinx project. They provided $1.8B and it would have cost an additional $100M to $500M (depending on how early in the process they would have smartened up) to grade-separate (elevate) the line. Instead, we lost some money in the switch to SSE and now only $1.4B is being given. The 1 stop subway to STC is about $2.5B ($1B extra), while the 4 stop subway to Sheppard is about $4B ($2.5B extra).

I think BurlOak is somewhat vindicated. A year ago the idea seemed ridiculous, but after all the latest transit developments, I think not grade separating the Crosstown in Scarborough is proving to be a massive oversight.

We will see if whether the Scarborough subway survives the next election cycle. If it gets replaced with a branch of the Crosstown in a cost-saving measure, then surely it would require grade separating between Kennedy and Don Mills, no?

I am skeptical if the SM-LRT and Scarborough LRT were interlined with the Crosstown, that many people would transfer at Kennedy instead of Yonge (or Don Mills with the Relief Line). Both Yonge and Don Mills would be quicker for downtown-bound travelling, and one less transfer.

...May be it will be better to commit ourself to the proper & frequent Smart Truck project development ?...

Reactions: rbt
I mean, grade separation would be awesome.

Its a fantasy. But a wonderful fantasy. It exists in a magical world where we have trains running in the sky and the ground all over the place. In that world, I can take a train to the moon and be happy.

Whats wrong with a dream like that?

I think BurlOak is somewhat vindicated. A year ago the idea seemed ridiculous, but after all the latest transit developments, I think not grade separating the Crosstown in Scarborough is proving to be a massive oversight.

We will see if whether the Scarborough subway survives the next election cycle. If it gets replaced with a branch of the Crosstown in a cost-saving measure, then surely it would require grade separating between Kennedy and Don Mills, no?

I am skeptical if the SM-LRT and Scarborough LRT were interlined with the Crosstown, that many people would transfer at Kennedy instead of Yonge (or Don Mills with the Relief Line). Both Yonge and Don Mills would be quicker for downtown-bound travelling, and one less transfer.

I don't think surface capacity will be an issue. 2 min headways (30 trains per hour), with 375 passengers per train, allows for capacity of 11,250 pphpd on the surface. Crosstown East has peak point ridership of 4900 pphpd at Kennedy, and it'll probably push peak point ridership for the whole line to 8k or 9k pphpd at Yonge. That's very manageable. With the relief line, capacity certainly won't be an issue.

I think 60 second headway would be better. Lets close all street crossing Eglinton from Kennedy to Leslie. Also prevent any seniors from trying to cross the street.

Back