News   Apr 24, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 488     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Crazy maybe, but it's crazier to want to willingly "screw Bombardier over" just out of spite (TigerMaster). That's so... childish.

I get that it sucks, but I often feel that the people who are whining the hardest are just looking for something to whine about - that they don't actually care about the delivery schedule at all. They just are looking for someone to blame because it's fun. If TigerMaster was actually interested and cared about them and the project, he'd be excited every time one shows up, not hating on Bombardier constantly.

I can't WAIT to hear the change of your tone towards all of this when the Flexities for the ION line are late :)

While its true Bombardier Transportation makes some outstanding products, it doesnt help that their management team is an outright laughable joke from head to toe. It's been proven that they lie through their teeth on an almost weekly basis, and are either not interested or dont know how to resolve production issues.

Why would a company try any harder when they just will get bailed out by the government time and time again?

Metrolinx was supposed to have a Flexity for testing in late 2014 - Its early 2016 and there is nothing yet. Source. Not looking good for Waterloo Region's ION.

OMG, I know at this point it's beating a dead horse, but that article is 10 months old already - Classic BBD quote:

“Yes we have in this case had issues in Thunder Bay, we have had issues in Mexico. But right now the main point for us is that we have been open about these, and now we can clearly say they are items that are in the past. We were working on correcting them. Now they are corrected,” he said, adding that the company is committed to the new delivery schedule that specifies the TTC will have 30 vehicles by the end of this year.

So basically, believe it when you see it. Let's see if we get 5 cars before May 1st as per the latest commitment. Obviously, I hope we do, but I wouldn't bet on it!

It sure is funny that we were discussing TTC desire to equalise mileage across the fleet. When we get to 4420, we would have to park 4403 for two years to accomplish that.
I don't understand the desire to equalize mileage. It seems that having unequal mileage actually naturally spreads out the maintenance cycle to optimize capacity.
So basically, believe it when you see it. Let's see if we get 5 cars before May 1st as per the latest commitment. Obviously, I hope we do, but I wouldn't bet on it!
It's too bad this forum doesn't have a "Wiki" feature. It would be interesting to keep track of the dates of each previous promise and what was promised. I think we're up to the 5th revision now? It's a little too depressing to go back and try to count.

Why would a company try any harder when they just will get bailed out by the government time and time again?
Bailouts wont be enough to save an entire division of Bombardier no matter how large the bailout was. Let's remember that the company still has a high market cap even though their management messes things up on a weekly basis.

However, if they keep going the way they are going i wouldnt be surprised if a rival competitor tries to buy them out (let's remember Bombardier said they were looking at selling off their Transportation division back in 2015).

Bailouts wont be enough to save an entire division of Bombardier no matter how large the bailout was. Let's remember that the company still has a high market cap even though their management messes things up on a weekly basis.

However, if they keep going the way they are going i wouldnt be surprised if a rival competitor tries to buy them out (let's remember Bombardier said they were looking at selling off their Transportation division back in 2015).

They did sell off a chunk (20%?) of the Transportation division. They've also sold off 50% of the CS program.

That's like saying that Torontonians can't tell the difference between 1982 and 2016.

I think his point was more the general public doesn't really care. Yes they like the new streetcars but many of them still don't know about them unless they frequent sadina or harbourfront. I still see people looking at them wondering what they are or if they can ride it, do they have to get on the front, etc.

I think his point was more the general public doesn't really care.
Part of this is that the city has done an excellent job of managing expectations, i.e. keeping them low. We don't care that the streetcars are crap, the new ones are late, that 21st century Toronto still has above ground utility wires everywhere, sewers and waterlines are bursting, the roads are cracked and potholed and the city just looks shabby. The city has got us to a level of apathy through constant failure that I don't think we'd notice if another new streetcar wasn't delivered in five years.

The city has got us to a level of apathy through constant failure that I don't think we'd notice if another new streetcar wasn't delivered in five years.

Well, people have commented to me about how rusty the A/CLRV's are looking. They will notice if streetcars stop arriving, and even if a bus turns up instead.

- Paul

Well, people have commented to me about how rusty the A/CLRV's are looking.
I did notice a few old streetcars lately looking really terrible with lots of body rust. It really reinforces the fact that the lateness of these deliveries is going to impact maintenance costs and reliability for the old streetcar fleet.

It's too bad this forum doesn't have a "Wiki" feature. It would be interesting to keep track of the dates of each previous promise and what was promised. I think we're up to the 5th revision now? It's a little too depressing to go back and try to count.
Really cool idea. I'd like to see for transit-related topics. Filled with detailed EAs, council votes and stuff. Even if only to serve as a quick jump to access all the EAs without having to look through twenty places on Google or saving them on your computer. (A habit which I have now undertaken...)

514 Cherry to launch as LFLRV route:
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/710168325301600256

Edit:
There would be no change to the TTC’s operating costs as a result of the operation of this new streetcar service. The cost of this service would be completely offset by a reallocation of existing service on the 504 KING streetcar route.
That answers the question "where's the TTC gonna find $ to launch 514" - there is no new money, just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Per the 514 report:

Following the deployment of low-floor streetcars on 510 SPADINA and 509 HARBOURFRONT in mid-June 2016, the next new streetcars to arrive in Toronto would be allocated to 514 CHERRY. Full deployment of low-floor streetcars on the 514 CHERRY route would be completed by mid-September 2016, after which the next new streetcars would be assigned to the 511 BATHURST route. This revised streetcar deployment would delay the allocation of new low-floor streetcars to 511 BATHURST by approximately three months, assuming that the current delivery schedule is achieved.

Back