538     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 339     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 193     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
I miss what Sears used to be...it's unfortunate they are struggling to find a niche demographic to target to. Young Adults? Families? Boomers? If only they had a identity consumers can resonate to...gonna have to visit the outlet stores before they're a memory of the past.

Sears has been totally irrelevant for about 20 years or even more. It has zero hype, pizazz, or even the remotest cool factor about it. It's a dated joke that can't possibly compete anymore. I don't know a single person that has shopped there or even mentioned it in decades. I don't even understand what kind of person in 2016 would even get the thought in their head to decide to go there for any reason. There is no reason.

Sears has been totally irrelevant for about 20 years or even more. It has zero hype, pizazz, or even the remotest cool factor about it. It's a dated joke that can't possibly compete anymore. I don't know a single person that has shopped there or even mentioned it in decades. I don't even understand what kind of person in 2016 would even get the thought in their head to decide to go there for any reason. There is no reason.
Now now... I used to park at the Sherway Sears and walk through the store...

They do still have a good selection of children's clothing. Never the lowest price you can get but a decent trade off between quality and price. Also, a lot less busy ;)

I think the last thing I ever bought there was a dryer, almost 4 years ago. Because when your dryer dies two days before you are going on vacation, you go to the handiest place. And they were having a sale. And then of course, they missed their delivery window, and tried to lie and say I wasn't at home, and I got another 30% off for that. No wonder they are failing. I don't miss them.

They do still have a good selection of children's clothing. Never the lowest price you can get but a decent trade off between quality and price. Also, a lot less busy ;)

Oh please, they've got nothing on H&M in that category.

A colleague of mine buys women's loungewear online from Sears, because they are loose fitting, have elastic waists, have no buttons or snaps, and are easy for dressing and undressing her mother with dementia. And the staff at the nursing home say they wash well.

That's the only time in recent history that someone has told me that Sears is good for something.

I think the last thing I ever bought there was a dryer, almost 4 years ago. Because when your dryer dies two days before you are going on vacation, you go to the handiest place. And they were having a sale. And then of course, they missed their delivery window, and tried to lie and say I wasn't at home, and I got another 30% off for that. No wonder they are failing. I don't miss them.

Funny, same experience... but in my case they nearly got into a fist fight with my building's security and were turned away as a result. They then said I wasn't home to accept the delivery when I called to find out where they were.

When I asked my concierge if they had shown up, they showed me the incident report that security had filled out. Didn't get 30% off, but did get delivery and installation refunded. I was ready to simply cancel the order and shop elsewhere, but my washer and dryer were also on sale and no other retailer's price came anywhere near it.

I find this post quite interesting. People that don't care about following the trend (which is, itself, becoming more of a trend), don't want to spend 20+ minutes waiting for a sales associate to grab them a shoe size at Hudson's Bay when they are having 30% off. Also, if you live outside of the Toronto, Sears department stores are basically the department store. Ever been to Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins, etc. These medium to small markets don't know anything other than Sears when it comes to a department stores.

Even though it has those markets to itself, it is still losing money hand over fist.

Bingo. Those markets aren't enough to sustain the company. They are still losing money and can't compete. Eddie has sucked them almost dry. There isn't much left. Once he's done he'll just declare bankruptcy and close the doors.

Sure they do, they have WalMart ;)

I've lived in both Sudbury and North Bay and spent a lot of time in Timmins. Sears sucked there too.

Exactly. There might be fewer options in smaller markets, but that doesn't mean there are no other options at all. And given a choice, why would anyone pick the worst one?

Back