Toronto Oak House Student Residence | 75.55m | 23s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

Just read the new story written on this. Surely there must be some way the building can be shifted to save the historic structures. They're real survivors on that stretch of Spadina, it would be unfortunate to see them go now.

Looks like another independent bookseller bites the dust.

Eh, I suppose Ten Editions has some nostalgic value, but the books were pretty expensive and the owner almost comically aloof. I stopped going there for things in my undergrad. That being said, I live around the corner from here and must admit that the old buildings currently on the lot have something of a Spadina character about them. I'm glad for more density, but will miss this corner. I walk by it almost every day. It's a nice quiet area.

Only the corner building is worth saving, it has some nice brickwork. The proposal is rather derivative, Ryerson is building much nicer buildings.

Gee-sus, that mean that the other thousands of identical 3s structures in TO are worth saving...
... then why not declare all of Toronto a heritage site:eek:

And you'd knock down half the city for walls of 200m+ high buildings. There's such thing as middle ground between preserving every building over 75 years old and redevelopment. Besides, as I said before, this is a relatively large site and they could easily work around the heritage building on the corner. Similar to what they're doing 231 College http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/design-haus.

Im sorry, but you are not comparing apples and oranges here?

They're of a similar age and style. Not exactly the same but, if these two aren't worth preserving, what makes 231 College worthwhile? Cleaned up and properly restored, these would look nice as part of a rebuild of the block in general. Certainly no worse than 231 will look tacked on to a new condo tower.

Gee-sus, that mean that the other thousands of identical 3s structures in TO are worth saving...
... then why not declare all of Toronto a heritage site:eek:

I never said it had to be saved, I just said out of the buildings on the site it's the only one worth considering preserving.

Weird design. They interrupt the brick to start the white (yuck) paneling above with no reveal detail or cap. Why do architects try to make gimmicky things like this work? Do they think they are innovating in some way? It looks like crap & will look dated months after it's built. Come on D&S... you can do better. Give us one of those safe, generic glass boxes you do instead of this pig.

I never said it had to be saved, I just said out of the buildings on the site it's the only one worth considering preserving.
I wouldn't mind seeing that pair of buildings on the corner preserved; at least the yellow brick one, for sure.

Back