News   Mar 28, 2024
 310     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Rob's comment, from this link:

This idea is just like SmartTrack, scribbled on the back of a napkin, and will just cause further delays in the building of the Scarborough subway.

Actually, Rob Ford's transit ideas are written on a used napkin from Steak Queen.
20140121-Ford-Lisi-Alt.jpg

While John Tory's idea has now graduated to a legal sized report from the original back of a Rogers Cable envelope. I think John's idea had much more thought in it than Rob's ever had.

Towhey's own situation comes across as far less than perfect in his book....

If you're talking about financial situation, it's about *principle*, not means. Same way that Libertarians canget away with blabbing about "representing the people" even though they only get 1 or 2 % of the popular vote...

I haven't posted on here in ages! I still read every post though.

All I have to add is that that I spoke the other day with someone who is close to Filion, and he was told recently by the councillor that the cancer has spread all over RoFo's body, and it is looking like it's lights out for the big boy.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Ford Family, well at least Dougie and Diane will want a "state" like funeral with cameras everywhere. Oh yah, don't forget the commemorative fridge magnets.

I'm sure the Ford Family, well at least Dougie and Diane will want a "state" like funeral with cameras everywhere. Oh yah, don't forget the commemorative fridge magnets.
They will get it, too. Then they'll try and get things named after him like roads and parks.

I've lived in Toronto for more than 40 years, and I can't remember a former mayor receiving any sort of large public send-off. Nathan Phillips died in 1976, William Dennison in 1981, Phil Givens in 1995, and Alan Lamport in 1999, and although the names are familiar, I don't even remember learning they had died.

We do have the recent precedent of Jack Layton's impressive send-off, and there is something especially tragic about a man being taken before his time. Ford fans will need a funeral to help them deal with that, and even Ford foes may benefit from the closure it will bring to this unpleasant chapter of Toronto's history.

Furthermore, especially since he is still a serving councillor, I predict Tory will allow him to lie in state in the rotunda at City Hall, the very same place he sold his bobble heads, but the big event will likely be in Etobicoke, at the family's insistence, where Ford Nation will come out in force.

As for commemorations, after reading Fillion's books, I have the say the only thing suitable would be to put his name on a football field, since football seems to be the only thing that really interests him.

and, one hopes, SUBWAYS!!
With the Jared Fogle situation I'm sure Subways will be looking for a new spokesperson, they could give Robbie the 2Pac holographic treatment, it would be quite natural, Robbie is used to working with a controversial monkey. :p

I've lived in Toronto for more than 40 years, and I can't remember a former mayor receiving any sort of large public send-off. Nathan Phillips died in 1976, William Dennison in 1981, Phil Givens in 1995, and Alan Lamport in 1999, and although the names are familiar, I don't even remember learning they had died.

We do have the recent precedent of Jack Layton's impressive send-off, and there is something especially tragic about a man being taken before his time. Ford fans will need a funeral to help them deal with that, and even Ford foes may benefit from the closure it will bring to this unpleasant chapter of Toronto's history.

Ford Funeral Fest?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back