News   Apr 19, 2024
 103     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 754     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.4K     2 

Westin Harbour Castle (?, ?, ?)

It's an awful, dated reminder of an unfortunate past of car-oriented development in this city which is no longer acceptable. It's particularly offensive at street level, with a steady stream of SUV driving pricks blocking the sidewalk and bike path. I lost count of how many times I had to scream at those dullards while biking past with the wife and 2 young kids in tow last summer.

Demolish the sucker.

I could kind of see the rationale in preserving the towers (or really only the one with the round top) but the base is so obstrusive and this piece of land has so much potential to become something special that I'm definitely leaning toward the demolish camp.

There was a posting a few months ago in another thread (I think the Lower Yonge Precinct discussions) about this hotel and at that time it appeared that the idea was to demolish and probably rebuild the conference centre part of it. I actually cut and pasted the following to a colleague.

"I was working at the Westin Harbour Castle yesterday and the manager that I was dealing with was very candid about the situation that they find themselves in where the hotel has its back turned on to a world class street, that their door step is built for cars on a now pedestrian focused realm.

Its presence on Queens Quay is in fact actively hostile to pedestrians with a maze of driveways full of cars and no sidewalks. The only pedestrian entrance is through a narrow hallway up several stairs and hidden away from view.

He said that they're currently in the process of redoing all their rooms and hallways and that once finished, they will shift their focus to the outside.

One way to improve is to bring their entrance closer to Queens Quay behind a simple Porte Cochère with escalators inside leading to the existing lobby.

One very interesting thing that he said is that "it will really affect us to lose the convention centre". I didn't know that this had been confirmed. Their property to the north will be redeveloped.

This is an excellent opportunity for a land swap and/or density transfer. Building a shiny new hotel tower on their convention centre land could open up the possibility of demolishing the old hotel and replacing it with a low rise building more suitable to the waterfront with an extension of Jack Layton ferry terminal park in the symbolically significant location at the foot of Yonge Street. Perhaps the city could grant them increased density at their north location in exchange for the park land with low rise commercial uses such as restaurants in the existing hotel land.

I don't expect that this will happen soon as they're refurbishing the hotel now but once the new Ferry Terminal is being built, when the foot of Yonge Street plans are being discussed and plans for the convention centre space come into focus, I hope that Waterfront Toronto is there to usher in an overall master plan that will serve everyone better. This is a huge opportunity and I hope we don't miss it.

Yes! That's my quote. I was there for a private shoot with Bret The Hitman Hart and spent some time with the hotel manager. I got the impression that this complex as it exists today had its days numbered. I'm elated at today's news!

Let's just hope this ends up in the hands of Tridel. That way we're guaranteed starchitecture.

There's no business case for a park here and to be honest, we don't need another park. There's plenty of park land along the water on that site. The building and its podium just need to be more porous like Pier 27 on the other side of the quay.

What I'd like to see is a density swap where the city grants high density for a pair of tall towers (matching the 1 Yonge Street redevelopment) on the north side on the conference land and shorter low rises with narrow podiums on the lake side to allow for views to the lake and easy pedestrian access.

In referencing the hotel's base did Bret say: "The best there was; the best there is; the best there will ever be?"

We should have built parkland and low-rise cultural facilities on the south side of Queens Quay in the 1970s. I'd much prefer that to any high-rise, no matter the architecture. If I were starting from scratch, the south side of Queens Quay from Bathurst to Parliament Street be all parkland with walkways and paths, lush trees, big lawns, fountains, sculptures, monuments and cultural pavilions. The north side would be lined with skyscrapers.

In regards to the condo buildings, theyre not terrible and can be saved. It would be very difficult to get all those owners to sell anyway. It's the parking garage that's ugly and in the way of waterfront redevelopment.

The city owns the park to the north. Building an underground garage with a park on top in exchange for public parkland between the towers could work.

QgDY0v8.jpg

Getting rid of the ugly parking garage podium in favour of public space would be a huge improvement, but the parkland would apparently be in shadows for much of the day.
Yes, and wouldn't it make more sense for parkland to front the lake, rather than Queens Quay?

The park at the off ramp should not have a parking garage put underneath it. That land has large, mature trees on it, and as the ramps come down and a new design is worked up for the space, those trees should be saved, with new landscaping augmenting the space.

In any case, there's no reason that that land or any of the condos to the west of the Westin Harbour Castle will end up changing in any direct way because of any potential redevelopment of the two Westin sites.

God forbid Concord Adex gets their grimy hands on this prime piece of land. We need an ambitious developer/architecture firm similar to Mizrahi who would actually want to do something different and unique here.

What they really should do is rebuild it taking into account the plans for the Ferry Terminal, especially in relationship to sightlines and access - and it would be an opportunity to shift the density and height to north.

Something like the IAC in NY would be spectacular.

AoD

What they really should do is rebuild it taking into account the plans for the Ferry Terminal, especially in relationship to sightlines and access - and it would be an opportunity to shift the density and height to north.

Something like the IAC in NY would be spectacular.

AoD

Can you imagine if this site were given to Frank Gehry to put his imprint on the waterfront? Wow.

That site is definitely ripe for something iconic but so far, the Pier 27 park and the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal are far too timid.

Someone in this thread mentioned that the hotel is currently having its rooms and hallways extensively renovated. For those of you who are calling for its complete obliteration (including myself), I don't see much hope of that happening if they are spending so much money trying to modernize it. Maybe in 50 years though!

Back