News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

BMO Field was just a local example of a stadium that was mostly privately funded. And you don't have to go back very far to see an example of a profitable Olympics with a privately funded Olympic stadium. You keep insisting that an Olympic stadium has to cost hundreds of millions of public money when that's just not the case. It's already been explained why London doesn't back up your case, so I'll just say that using it as evidence of why all Olympic stadiums are bad is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm not sure why you're talking about a 100% temporary stadium, I never said anything about that. Maybe you're getting me mixed up with someone else?

It was a sarcastic argument reductio ad absurdum. My point was - and is - that once you start building an Olympic stadium, all the good intentions get thrown out the window and you end up spending public money to the tune of billions.

And, patiently explaining, again, that London didn't spend $1 billion on the Olympic stadium for a private football team because they didn't do it during your self-imposed envelope completely misses the point of my argument, so I'll stop adding to this thread.

We can reconnect on the subject once some other landowner decides an Olympics in Toronto in the far future will get him out from under his bad Portlands / Downsview / Woodbine whatever purchase. Cheers.

It was a sarcastic argument reductio ad absurdum. My point was - and is - that once you start building an Olympic stadium, all the good intentions get thrown out the window and you end up spending public money to the tune of billions.

And, patiently explaining, again, that London didn't spend $1 billion on the Olympic stadium for a private football team because they didn't do it during your self-imposed envelope completely misses the point of my argument, so I'll stop adding to this thread.

We can reconnect on the subject once some other landowner decides an Olympics in Toronto in the far future will get him out from under his bad Portlands / Downsview / Woodbine whatever purchase. Cheers.
So it's billions now, as in plural? There's at least one relatively recent example of an Olympic stadium that didn't cost the government anything, let alone billions. You keep insisting that a stadium would automatically cost taxpayers a billion or more when that's clearly not the case.

My take on the decision not to bid: good decision.

As I mentioned in my buried opinion earlier on in the this thread, this is not about Toronto not being capable of bidding or being too poor etc. (we would be an excellent host city). I just feel this is not a good time to host especially if city-building is a primary rational. This is at the heart of my feeling on the subject. I feel that there are moments in a cities life where hosting such an event makes sense and when hosting such an event makes little sense. Think of it less as a climb where we must feel not yet worthy, to an oscillating wave where there are peaks and troughs of potential.

Right now in Toronto we are finally emerging from an economic funk and there is a lot of positive momentum in terms of infrastructure and city-building initiatives that would be hampered, not accelerated, by Olympic preparations. I applaud the Mayor for recognizing this and say to those who are disappointed by our failure to bid, let's build up the city now and re-visit this issue 5 or 10 years in the future.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Toronto is definetely not ready for an Olympic bid.

This is the Toronto Olympic bid thread not the I have an axe to grind against the Olympics so I'll post any negative article no matter how irrelevant it is to the topic at hand thread. Let's not take this thread down the same path as the Rob Ford conspiracy loon thread.
The alleged incident happened the week that Aubut was lobbying Toronto to submit a bid.

The alleged incident happened the week that Aubut was lobbying Toronto to submit a bid.

If Toronto put the kibosh on an alleged bid due to allegations against some guy accused of some sundry deeds rather than merit then I agree it would be a real scandal.

This is the Toronto Olympic bid thread not the I have an axe to grind against the Olympics so I'll post any negative article no matter how irrelevant it is to the topic at hand thread. Let's not take this thread down the same path as the Rob Ford conspiracy loon thread.

Even the mods act foolish in the Rob Ford thread :eek:

So it's billions now, as in plural? There's at least one relatively recent example of an Olympic stadium that didn't cost the government anything, let alone billions. You keep insisting that a stadium would automatically cost taxpayers a billion or more when that's clearly not the case.
MLSE just found a way to deliver a +/-80k stadium to Toronto for virtually no cost.....and this could boost future Olympic bids.

By appointing Michael Friisdahl as their president, MLSE has gained unique insight into increasing capacity via changed seating configuration. He learned this implementing Rouge.

BMO Field will be the cosiest 80k stadium in the world.

MLSE just found a way to deliver a +/-80k stadium to Toronto for virtually no cost.....and this could boost future Olympic bids.

By appointing Michael Friisdahl as their president, MLSE has gained unique insight into increasing capacity via changed seating configuration. He learned this implementing Rouge.

BMO Field would also be great for hosting the Super Bowl (after all, the Super Bowl was played in MetLife Stadium once, which is located in a cold climate city and has no roof over the field).

They tried to implement Rouge seating to Barbados two summers ago. WestJet must have ate their lunch, because it lasted 2-3 months and then the regular AC came back. I assume WestJet ate their lunch -- I know I switched.

They tried to implement Rouge seating to Barbados two summers ago. WestJet must have ate their lunch, because it lasted 2-3 months and then the regular AC came back. I assume WestJet ate their lunch -- I know I switched.

I am a regular AC customer...have been for years.....but I avoid them on routes where there is even the slightest chance of being rouged.

That said, i was (here) just making a joke about stadiums/new MLSE prez/his background

Back