Toronto Harris Square | 50.29m | 13s | Urban Capital | Saucier + Perrotte

That's interesting I did not realize there was a phase 4 SP again I see. That's cool I wonder what it will look like.

That's interesting I did not realize there was a phase 4 SP again I see. That's cool I wonder what it will look like.
Neither did I! Looks like it is an 11 storey building at the head of Lawren Harris Square: https://urbancapital.ca/current-projects/media/RC3handout.pdf

I do like the architecture in this project. It's a shame that there have been so many reported cases of shoddy workmanship with the interiors/the delay with Phase 2!

One thing I noticed is that the black cladding gets quite dirty very quickly.

Thanks for that PDF Stupidandshallow. Really liked the following image in there. Gives a good overview of the 4 phases...

Attachments

• RC.PNG
    RC.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 975
Yes. I have agreed not to provide images at this point, as this is just the first review before the WT DRP, and UrbanCapital and Saucier + Perrotte have not finalized the proposal yet, but…

The direction that they are going with this project is unlikely to disappoint fans of the previous phases. This one is most like phase one; black cladding, and quite angular—in fact the most multi-angular of the phases—in response to the pentagonal shape of the property. Its 6 metre-high ground floor takes up approximately only half of the footprint of the building above, with the second storey growing somewhat, until the floor plate reaches full size for the third and upper storeys. The smaller size of the first two floors is meant to bring light to, and help funnel people into Underpass Park immediately to the north. The underside of these floors would have a reflective soffit (polished stainless steel or something else light) to that effect. Some canted or branching concrete columns with a patterned surface will hold the upper floors aloft.

The first storey is planned to include a 200 square foot coffee shop - very small, just large enough to get a neighbourhood independent in there, in the brightest spot at the southwest corner of the building, where it can have lots of seating in the piazza area surrounding the building. The second story is planned to feature a restaurant with a balcony looking down Lawren Harris Square towards Corktown Common. Suites would start on the third floor. Each floor's exterior is carved somewhat differently, with major floor plate shifts coming every three floors. It's not completely clear from the renderings exactly how many floors the building is proposed to have, but it looks like it may be 12, not 11, plus mechanical penthouse.

How's that for now?

The underside of these floors would have a reflective soffit (polished stainless steel or something else light) to that effect. Some canted or branching concrete columns with a patterned surface will hold the upper floors aloft.

Super! This sounds very exciting - and interesting choice given Paul Raff's Mirage in Underpass Park.

AoD

Okay, the DRP first review is over. The panel members were very complimentary overall, with most of the questions and comments about the public realm plan, debating the merits of various soffits. The concern comes with the surface working with Paul Raff's stainless steel Mirage which hangs below the adjacent overpass, and not detracting from it. Anyway, a thumbs up from the panel, who are looking forward to review #2 in a few months' time.

Hope someone realizes this proposal as-is will detract from Mirage; which, by the way, has shown up in the Heroes Reborn tv show.

Hope you realize that the panel addressed exactly what you're talking about, as I specifically mentioned in the post immediately before yours.

Remember that these are the first version to be seen, and the plans will evolve somewhat. They're not done with this yet…

and yes, I am looking forward to RC4. This will be such an interesting corner of town when the River City buildings are complete!

Pretty trippy dynamism there. Hope the eventual design retains that verve.

And yes, the whole neighbourhood is going to look great.

Back