News   Mar 28, 2024
 226     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 277     0 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

not opposed to the idea of bare bones, part time use platforms....we probably should have more of them actually (ie. I hope when York U station is closed we don't do anything stupid like tearing the thing up)....but I also don't think we need to embellish the pitch.....the Argos needing a temporary alternate stadium is a very temporary situation that will be long over before anyone ever puts their mind to this station.....pitch it on its own merits from a Hamilton point of view ----- no need to mix in some false "toronto needs this too" false logic.

not opposed to the idea of bare bones, part time use platforms....we probably should have more of them actually (ie. I hope when York U station is closed we don't do anything stupid like tearing the thing up)....but I also don't think we need to embellish the pitch.....the Argos needing a temporary alternate stadium is a very temporary situation that will be long over before anyone ever puts their mind to this station.....pitch it on its own merits from a Hamilton point of view ----- no need to mix in some false "toronto needs this too" false logic.
Intentionally muddying this further: Niagara needs it too. Stoney Creek and West Harbour needs it too. So does Oakville. There's TiCats, World Music Festival, etc.

I'm of the persuasion that the trains are too long which necessitates creating long platforms and a lot of walking depending on where you are on the train. For the non-express trains I think the trains should be half as long and run twice as many of them.

I'm of the persuasion that the trains are too long which necessitates creating long platforms and a lot of walking depending on where you are on the train. For the non-express trains I think the trains should be half as long and run twice as many of them.

GO seems against changing the signalling configuration for their corridors (granted, it's a very expensive prospect). So, that means we're basically stuck with a configuration for freight trains. So, frequencies below 10 minutes is kinda challenging (I can't explain why, but I'm sure some on this forum could) but 1km long EMU passenger trains would be a cake-walk (platform/electrical problems).

A very successful RER ridership may end up with 12-car trains at 15 minute frequencies before they considered a frequency bump.

Last edited:
GO seems against changing the signalling configuration for their corridors (granted, it's a very expensive prospect).

Not only is it expensive but it's also technically challenging to do while a line is still active. However it's not that they're against it, it's just that there really isn't a need for it currently. It's something they can hold off on until they actually purchase shorter trains sets which is still many years away from happening. The only place where shorter trains are currently in revenue service is the Weston sub which has in fact been rebuilt using shorter blocks. The average signal spacing on the Weston is one signal per 0.65 miles, that compares to one signal every 1.4 miles on the Oakville sub, one signal every 2.25 miles on the Kingston sub and as an even more extreme example, one signal every 3.4 miles on the Grimbsy sub. In the mean time there are more urgent matters that need to be dealt with using the limited amount of capital funds that are available.

Apologies for not including this earlier - here is a giant map screenshot that includes all the shortlisted (but not the longlisted) stations. You may however find the attached PDF of the same more easy to navigate around and read. If you want to see the station longlist it is in this presentation on slides 19 and 20.
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 10.47.07.png

Attachments

• GO station shortlist map.pdf
    969.9 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 10.47.07.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 10.47.07.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 495
Judging by the Argos attendance in Hamilton today I would say one go train may have fitted everybody...

Hypothetically ... how busy would Dundas West be with a connection to three GO lines, UPX, the DRL and the Bloor subway.

Apologies for not including this earlier - here is a giant map screenshot that includes all the shortlisted (but not the longlisted) stations. You may however find the attached PDF of the same more easy to navigate around and read. If you want to see the station longlist it is in this presentation on slides 19 and 20.

I wish that GO would think about creating direct links from the 400 series highways to parking garages. It takes upwards of 5 minutes to get from the highway to a parking lot which creates a reduction in the benefit of using transit. It also creates congestion around the local roads which reduces livability near the station.

Atlanta has a great example at the North Springs MARTA stop (MARTA I think is a great example of spacing similar in nature to an ideal Smarttrack/RER spacing for stops...about 1 station every mile).

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.945...4!1svshlubjOJlxwD8tCXnH5WQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looking at the map I could see a bunch of opportunities to create these direct connections which would significantly reduce local traffic around the GO stations.

I know the eventual goal is to create walkable communities around GO Stations but there will always be people who live outside of the area who WANT to use transit as long as it is convenient and these direct access links would facilitate it.

No way. Pretty sure it's against the law for an Argo's fan to live in Hamilton :p
he said a ti cats v argos game at Tim Horton's in better weather would draw a much bigger crowd....I was suggesting that most of them would already be in Hamilton....not that they were argo fans ;)

Back