News   Apr 17, 2024
 235     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 266     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     1 

SkyriseCities.com and UT Forum Changes (Oct 9, 2015)

I think that the builder name part of the old thread title was useful ... especially when searching for projects?

I agree, the builder name was definitely useful info. I would even argue that the design firm info was useful as well, but if it was omitted for simplicity's sake its understandable.

I agree that developer and architect information was important information.

I would suggest a standardized format like (Developer/Architect), example:

Toronto | One Bloor East | 257m | 76s | (Great Gulf Homes / Hariri Pontarini Architects)

Otherwise, they should be placed in a subheading below the title.

edit: Anyone notice that Hariri Pontarini above links to the Architect's page? I didn't intentionally do that, happened on its own. Pretty cool. The same should be done for developers (Great Gulf Homes).

Last edited:
This is an exciting development!

I always was wondering if there was a community like UrbanToronto but for other cities like Vancouver and Montreal. I don't know a great deal much about those cities but I would have enjoyed reading discussions and following developments from their cities as well. Especially municipal politics and transit planning news!

I like how the UrbanToronto posts are synced with the Toronto forum in SkyriseCities. This is a very good format that I think can be repeated for other cities. It allows the community to focus on their own city and local newstories (like the top of the page here) and build their userbase without it being overwhelming in the global context of SkyriseCities. (I think this overwhelming factor is the biggest fault with SkyScraperCities website.)

I would register UrbanVancouver, UrbanCalgary, UrbanMontreal webpages asap and look to grow those pages/communities in a similar style to UrbanToronto.

I like the layout of SkyriseCities. I wish there was an option to minimize certain subforums. Frankly I don't want to have to scroll through Africa and Asian cities to reach London, Paris, Toronto, Vancouver, New York forums. (Likewise here with the Real Estate section)

Last edited:
Like others, not that fond of the new format without the architects/builder in the heading... I do think it would be better to have something similar to what WislaHD said.....

I think this story is timely:

What Happened to Chowhound?

"For 18 years, as the Internet and social media grew in prominence, Chowhound provided the food-obsessed an online community, a forum and an archive for a massive amount of accumulated conversation on discussion boards that were organized geographically and had threads that stretched back years.

Until last month, when a comprehensive redesign of the site prompted many longtime users, including many in Los Angeles, to abandon the site."

http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-chowhound-20151010-story.html

Does the world really need another skyscraper website? I'd say keep it local and focus on specific cities as opposed to starting yet another general worldwide site. UrbanToronto's strength has always been its hyper-local focus. Take that and replicate it in other cities. There's no need for another SkyscraperCity or SkyscraperPage.

Does the world really need another skyscraper website? I'd say keep it local and focus on specific cities as opposed to starting yet another general worldwide site. UrbanToronto's strength has always been its hyper-local focus. Take that and replicate it in other cities. There's no need for another SkyscraperCity or SkyscraperPage.
I agree. The problem with SkyscraperCity and ScyscraperPage are their superbroad global focus. It is overwhelming, unfocused and unfriendly for many users.

But, if you have an UrbanToronto, and an UrbanVancouver, UrbanMontreal, you can maintain the (very) successful UrbanToronto format of hyper-local focus with regular local news stories and userbases. All those threads can then be aggregated into the main forum on SkyriseCities.

But, if you have an UrbanToronto, and an UrbanVancouver, UrbanMontreal, you can maintain the (very) successful UrbanToronto format of hyper-local focus with regular local news stories and userbases. All those threads can then be aggregated into the main forum on SkyriseCities.

In fact, that is the precise idea behind this new site. Projects threads exist in the local sections and are merely aggregated to the SRC main forum. Members don't have to venture out of their local section at all. Each city has its own landing page as well as local news articles and database. Here's Calgary for example: http://skyrisecities.com/database/cities/calgary

In fact, that is the precise idea behind this new site. Projects threads exist in the local sections and are merely aggregated to the SRC main forum. Members don't have to venture out of their local section at all. Each city has its own landing page as well as local news articles and database. Here's Calgary for example: http://skyrisecities.com/database/cities/calgary

But then how does that differ from the Toronto section at SkyscraperCity? Or Calgary at SSP?

Here's Calgary's subforum:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=416

Not sure why you'd put the height AND the number of stories in the thread title. That seems unnecessarily obsessive-compulsive to me - especially for 2-storey buildings. Why not the colour or the number of doors? And who cares if something is 53 rather than 50 stories - unnecessary detail for a subject line.

But then how does that differ from the Toronto section at SkyscraperCity? Or Calgary at SSP?

Here's Calgary's subforum:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=416

Within the forum its similar to the Calgary subforum but world wise there's a big difference. Any post within our Calgary section will also make it to the world page as there is only one thread per project. And there will be a thread for each individual project as opposed to large threads with multiple projects being discussed. Finally SRC is taking an integrated approach with the content. We have news (where's that on SSP or SSC?), the project databases and forums tightly connected. SSP and SSC are basically what UT was before we adding the databases and news stories. It works well at UT and there's no reason it won't work well on a world level.

Back